Dimming and brightening dome lights .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimming and brightening dome lights .

The little lady's truck does this , anyone have an idea how to does this ? Squirrel ? Anybody ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

you mean, how they do it on modern cars?

sure, it's done by the body computer, using PWM, over the CAN bus.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That started some interesting reading as I had no idea what a PWM ( pulse width modulator ) and a CAN bus are . ( controller area network ) . Seems the later was first used in a 1986 BMW 850. Basically everything is ran thru a computer and it is the switch for everything. This was fun and may come in usefull in working on the wifes truck one of these days . But I was thinking of would there be a simple way of making my somewhat old 96 Vette to do this . In my reading that capacitors are used to soften the hit to electric motors such as in HVAC units . So could I come how wire in a capacitor to soak up the juice a little when I first open the door then the light gets brighter as it reaches its capacity and then continue to power the light till itslowly bleeds out ?
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You could do it like mine...it starts dim, then you smack it with the back of your hand and it gets brighter...

Comment

that's what I was thinking - capacitor would bleed off juice to the bulb, maybe a diode to keep it going to the lamp only. This guy discusses LED or incadescent with a small circuit.

Last edited by Beagle; January 6, 2017, 07:12 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

If you used a capacitor would it keep the light on until it bleed out though after the door was shut? It may take it a while.
            Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I intentionally gave a brief, jargon filled answer, to get you to read...it worked...yay!

The hipsters would program an Arduino to do this.

I'm with Loren....I like flaky old crap

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                I intentionally gave a brief, jargon filled answer, to get you to read...it worked...yay!

The hipsters would program an Arduino to do this.

I'm with Loren....I like flaky old crap
                I liked flaky old crap until it burned to the ground a couple of times.

oops. Forgot to grimace. ha.

Last edited by Beagle; January 6, 2017, 08:09 AM.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

oh....I like safe, flaky old crap.

My fabulous web page

Comment

maybe find something from a junk vehicle.
                    my 96 truck does the timer/fade/off.

Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Arduino.......back to the internet library . I'll be back after work ......
                      Before taking off though ....I like simple stuff . I hate compters on transmissions , engines , Car HVAC . But if I could have this work without that complexity I might do it . I ,in the mean time have found a diagram on another sight . I don't know what all the hyroglifics mean yet..... yeah back to the library for that too . Anyway , I'll post it up latter .
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; January 6, 2017, 10:05 AM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Have you seen this product.

dimmer kit can be installed to perform several duties to suit your needs, such as slowly brightening when doors open and extended light delay when power is off.

Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I have not . Thanks for the link . I'm way too cheap for that though . I'll see what it will cost with the diagram I found.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

our 84 chevy wagon did this, I doubt it had a can or a body module

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              that's what I was thinking - capacitor would bleed off juice to the bulb, maybe a diode to keep it going to the lamp only. This guy discusses LED or incadescent with a small circuit.

The second exercise is what i want it to do. I can't seem to get the diagram I have up. Its in the gallery of my phone but as I try to post it up as I do other photos it gives me an error notice .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X