Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip Tilt Front end.....how have you hinged yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a triumph GT6 for a little while, it's the 6 cylinder coupe version of the spitfire. Yeah, you can get to some stuff easier, but every time you want to open the hood, it's an ordeal...walk around the car, flip the latch open, walk back, flip the other one, get in the right place to lift it up, then same thing closing it. I guess it's stylish, the XKE had a similar setup.

It would look very hot rod, though.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

As far as where the hinges should go I take 2 pieces of paper and butt them together. I piece is fixed with tape and cannot move, that is your firewall & body. The other piece is the front end, you use a thumb tack as the hinge point ans start placing it on the outside edge of the paper, then 'lift' the paper and see how it interacts with the body. If the hinge is too high it'll swing the rockers into the body & if too low the bumper will hit the ground before the front opens far enough to work on the motor. You can find the exact spot that the hood will open, pull away from the firewall without having the bumpers crash into something. Scale the papers to your car.
      A Carter Carb Shop, sales and service

Comment

great idea.

also, if you think about it, any part that is lower and behind the pivot will move back as it moves up. Parts above and behind the pivot will move forward as they move up.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Yup, which is why lots have the bottom rears of the fenders lopped off and attached separately to the body.

Personally I do not care for that look. Jim raises a good point - lots of tilt fronts do not seem to gain much in the way of accessibility, they just kinda move the obstacles to different places.

However, there are some rare ones that seem to really hit all the marks at once.

The slide-n-tilt guys have the job refined quite a bit. Industrial Linear bearings and a hinge, pull it away from the cowl several inches THEN tilt. Also seems to give lots more clearance for working.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Extra trick tilt front with opening hood option..
            Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; December 20, 2016, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Yup, which is why lots have the bottom rears of the fenders lopped off and attached separately to the body.

Personally I do not care for that look. Jim raises a good point - lots of tilt fronts do not seem to gain much in the way of accessibility, they just kinda move the obstacles to different places.

However, there are some rare ones that seem to really hit all the marks at once.

The slide-n-tilt guys have the job refined quite a bit. Industrial Linear bearings and a hinge, pull it away from the cowl several inches THEN tilt. Also seems to give lots more clearance for working.
              thats the kind they did on bitchin rides. They fabbed up some brackets that were kind of an elongated S which were about a foot long and had really nice balance. Those were added to that F150 kit they bought. Probably could have worked a linear actuator into it for push button it was so smooth.

Comment

Working...
              X