'56 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Thanks for the info. Have you started a thread on your '56? I'd love to see it, and pictures are worth thousands of words, especially when dealing with basket cases.

I found a supplier of complete floors within a 3 hour drive for $750ish. I think that's a pretty good deal considering how much new structure is included in that price.
    That is a good buy on the floors, judging by the rocker picture I would guess that you are going to need it. I have a thread on my '56 over at trifive.com http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120228. Mine is a basket case as well. Unfortunately I haven't got very far with my project, and it seems other things keep coming up that put it back even farther. Interesting to note that the original colors on our cars was the exact same. I plan to put mine back in the original color because you don't see it much and it is really beautiful, they only used it about 3/4 of the production year and then discontinued it.

Comment

As far as the motor mounts go there are many options. You can take a look at my Dad's hardtop thread (there is a link in my sig over at trifive.com) That car a has a 327/muncie as well and we used the original front mounts, but we replaced the biscuits with energy suspension poly ones, we have the Lakewood scatter shield with the adapters to mount to the original side mounts, and added a 70's Camaro cross member in the back for a rear trans mounting point. My 56 frame had the trans side mounts removed off the frame and side engine mounts added, I will probably just use those and add a rear cross member.

Comment

the modern Lakewood shield has a couple tapped holes for the mounts, but it uses brackets to adapt to the mounts themselves. The old one that I had, had tabs welded on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lakewood.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1128950
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Mine has tapped holes. Therefore "modern". Not using it at the moment it is wall art..

Comment

Interesting. You'd think Summit would have the brackets mentioned or at least recommended.

Rare color too eh? Was yours 2-toned as well?
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I think mine was black. As far as I can tell, it was from the 60s.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Mine was red, painted it orange..

Comment

download the instructions, it says

Click image for larger version

Name:	note.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1128991
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Ah, very good. Still have to check out the one I have, got in late last night.

Any guesses on what year this chassis is? It is sporting some Script GMC hubcaps and is 6 lug.....not sure what other clues to look for?

Last edited by STINEY; October 28, 2016, 08:44 AM.

Comment

not really....it's probably rather old, with the non-hypoid rear end (pinion is centered on the ring gear, instead of below). Hydraulic brakes started around 1936.

My fabulous web page

Comment

My son bought a 4 door 57 and is making a 2 door post car out of it..
                        Wants to put a straight axle under it.. I had a 59 chevy 1/2 ton front end I gave him..
                        He got all the parts for it, king pins, bearings and hubs along with a disc conversion kit
                        Parts are there.. Not sure what the cut off years are..

Edit: it also went from 6 lug to 5.. Not sure the pattern, likely Chev, I think
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 28, 2016, 10:01 AM.

Comment

This is the running gear under a Hay Wagon. The price is right at free......I've pulled it down the road and it tracks GREAT all the way to 60 mph.

Just thinking about that straight axle. Complete, tight, free. Very interesting.

So no older than '37, and no newer than '54 (last year of torque tube). Slowly narrowing it down, lol.

Searching shows that hubcap was used in '41 http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...nd_Wheel_Rings

And also '36 http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...nd_Wheel_Rings

So much for that route of identification.

Somewhere between '36 - '45

Last edited by STINEY; October 28, 2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Amazing....dug out the steel bell and it actually has the mounts welded on.

Has a bolt on cover for in-car clutch removal as well? Wonder how old this thing is, and what brand?

Sat it on the mounts in the car, it's perfect.

Last edited by STINEY; November 1, 2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

that answers that question
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Coming together ain't it, so the Jeep joins Cadistang in the hay mow?

Comment

Working...
                                X