No announcement yet.

'56 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car is not going to be original in any sense so put the best, cheapest bang for the buck rear under it.. and the ford 8.8. is the easiest to find..
    If you got the funds to put another rear under it just to say it's there.. That is fine too.. I'd find it hard to go easy on a car that has power, Kinda pointless to give it oats if you can't use them..

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      it should be around 60", the exploder rear would fit. But would contribute to ruining (beagle: Driving) the car.
      purist. lol.

Stiney, this needs to get moved to project threads. Congrats man, have fun with it!

While your contemplating ruining it, Late model wheels with their goofy offset will make up for too much axle width if you're just wanting to get it going and beat on it some. I wouldn't let period perfect get in the way of running and driving. There's always time to get the "correct" paint markers for the frame markings and intentionally orange peel the paint later. Grin.

Does it have a spool in it right now? What gear? You know that 8.8 will hold 4.88's.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Thanks Beags.

There seems to be at least 6 aluminum slots lurking in the haymows for some weird reason. Should make decent shop rollers.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Sometimes, being a purist is a good thing. And it doesn't cost a lot, if you do it right.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I applaud your dedication and focus - my thinking here was the 8.8 is already at the house looking for something to do... Return on investment of a sort.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

sell it and buy an extra 56 center section or two?
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Preference on side mount options?

Speedway has a few options, some look more cruiser oriented and some maybe more performance.

Preference in transmission crossmember options?

(In the interest of getting it running/driving, of course.)

Got it picked up yesterday after work. Unloaded in the dark. Light rain last night, still overcast this morning, snapped some better pictures before the dash to school.

I need a second hood spring. It only came with one, and I didn't have time to fabricate a decent prop stick.
                Last edited by STINEY; October 27, 2016, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Do you have a bellhousing? If so, which one? The original setup with the wiggly front mounts, and the bellhousing mounts, works pretty well if you plan on keeping a manual transmission in the car. Assuming the frame horns are still there, for the bellhousing mounts. If you decide to go to side mounts and rear trans crossmember, you can buy a few different ones, I don't know which ones are popular these days...but I'd see about getting something that doesn't look too fancy, to keep with the theme of the car.

but finding an original type bellhousing would be the way to go, I think.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The 327 setup has a steel safety blowproof bellhousing. I do have a bellhousing with sidemounts, but its SAE pattern from a 2 ton truck. No good, too large I imagine. Frame mounts for side mounts are still on frame.

From going through your 55 thread I thought I saw aftermarket side mounts in there?

Last edited by STINEY; November 1, 2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

purist. lol.

Stiney, this needs to get moved to project threads. Congrats man, have fun with it!

While your contemplating ruining it, Late model wheels with their goofy offset will make up for too much axle width if you're just wanting to get it going and beat on it some. I wouldn't let period perfect get in the way of running and driving. There's always time to get the "correct" paint markers for the frame markings and intentionally orange peel the paint later. Grin.

Does it have a spool in it right now? What gear? You know that 8.8 will hold 4.88's.

he complains even when you use your Fiat.... for a paint stand. There's simply no pleasing him so why bother even trying?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        it would need a really big engine to run A/Gas

You're saying something in a 283 ci size should be adequate?
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Mine has aftermarket side mounts, since it's a big block, it is kind of necessary to move the engine forward about 3/4 inch to clear the firewall. Small blocks fit without mods, unless you try to run funky tall valve covers.

I had an early Lakewood scattershield with the side mount tabs, sold it kind of cheap on ebay years ago...it would be perfect for yours. they're hard to find, though. The original bellhousings should not be too hard to find. Although a scattershield is nice to have.

Free Shipping - Lakewood Safety Bellhousings with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Bellhousings at Summit Racing.

they are pricey these days!

My fabulous web page

Comment

I'm running pop tops, power pack heads, solid lifter cam, fenderwell headers 327 .060+ and a Muncie in my 57. Stock side bell housing mounts and front mounts..
                            Only thing to watch for is that the biscuits are the proper thickness to keep the front high enough that the headers do not rattle on the bodywork.
                            Full throttle bangs those mounts are great! Shifter stays where it needs to be.. No flopping side to side like clamshell mounts gone bad.
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 27, 2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Old neighbor while I was 15 had a 57 that he drag raced one or 2 races a year. Built 292 small block. 4 speed and the same stock mounts except he made aluminum biscuits for his front mounts.....

Edit: ah.. He also set it back. Had the heater removed and firewall fabbed.. Still used stock mounts. Just relocated rearward.
                              Last edited by Deaf Bob; October 27, 2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Are the side depressions in this bellhousing https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lak-15003/ for tri-five style side bell mounts? Guess so.

I was expecting tabs welded on from your description?

From reading under applications and suggested parts it appears it would be a bolt in. Interesting. I'll have to check to see which one I have for sure.
                                Last edited by STINEY; October 27, 2016, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X