'56 Chevy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Chevy

Bring it on......anything and everything 55-56-57 Chevy related.

There is a '56 for sale locally - extremely tempted. So much so that I listed several of my barn cars for sale today.

Last edited by STINEY; January 6, 2017, 12:19 PM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

it would need a really big engine to run A/Gas

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Has been barned for 25 years, was converted back-in-the-day to 4 speed. Originally a I6 auto car. Needs rockers and lower quarters, rear outer panel below trunk lid is rotted away.

Front and rear glass good, couple of cracks in side glass. Missing front seat and drivetrain....supposedly has original posi axle. Air shocks and slapper bars.

I'm thinking give up the Corvette search and use my 327/Muncie combo in this.

Things to look for Jim?
      Last edited by STINEY; December 14, 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Look at everything. The problems never end. You can buy pretty much all the sheet metal to replace the rusted stuff, but it adds up, there are a lot of parts on these cars!

It would be a fun car. I hope you have a lot of money saved up to fix it. Or you could take the other approach, and do like Paul and leave it kind of rusty (but structurally sound). and go drive it.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I really really like Ohio Paul's Nomad. Look is perfect and the story is even better.

Comment

I like a 56 Nomad and yesterday a buddy followed me to show (brag ) of his latest find, a 55 Nomad, top has some rust outs above the roof drip rail and of course in floorboard but body was straight, $500!! Right place right time, owner going to jail. Crazy!
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

that IS luck...or Karma.....he must be living right.

Comment

I must be living wrong, I never get to buy stuff cheap when folks go to jail.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  I must be living wrong, I never get to buy stuff cheap when folks go to jail.
                  Me neither and was only 15 miles from my house and didn't even know it was there. My buddy does roofing and we live in a rural county so he's always running across something. He has other projects and I told at any moment I'd give his money back!!
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Got the VIN decoded....it's was originally a 6 cylinder automatic Bel Air built at the Norwood plant, about number 12,000 or so.

It has 3 pedals now, and nearly all of the trim is present. Some missing from the doors.

Depending on condition of floor supports, plan is to just repair the basics, add my 327 and Muncie 4-speed, and drive it. If I ever tire of the rough-n-tumble look cosmetics can come later.

Going to try to strike a deal tomorrow.
                    Last edited by STINEY; November 6, 2016, 05:41 AM.

Comment

I am a tri-five guy and more specifically a 56 guy and even more specifically a 56 2 door sedan guy, so I dig it. The good is the majority of the trim is there it can be expensive to round all of that up, especially the belt line trim around the windows it is Bel Air Sedan only and not reproduced. People will tell you that you that "you can buy everything for those cars" but you will find that 56's are kind of red-headed step children and not everything is available. Like Squirrel mentioned when you start buying everything it can get expensive, but since you are building a bucks-down-beater you can save some money. If you do find any rust in the braces on the floor I the consensus is to go with the one piece floor with braces and inner rockers, those can be bought for $850. I have two cars that need one, but haven't installed any yet. Overall I really like the car and your plan, I hope you get it. My 56 Belair 2 door sedan is also getting a 327 and Muncie 4 speed.

Comment

Went at lunchtime today to check it out.
                        Last edited by STINEY; October 20, 2016, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                          and ........???????

Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                          74 Nova Project
                          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                          79 Chevy Truck Project
                          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                            Headed home to get the trailer picking up tonight!?
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Au natural ShoeBoxes smell funny inside.

Or should I say that MY ShoeBox smells funny inside? I made an offer and he bit......did the title stuff and will go back later to pick it up.

The seller was really great. Good guy and had a nifty Datsun mini-truck Gasser project he is just finishing up. Stretched the cab 6", fiberglass flip front, straight axle.

Last edited by STINEY; October 20, 2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X