03 Chevy Van water in exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 Chevy Van water in exhaust

Yesterday, leaving for a doctors appointment, I started the van, did a tight turn around, the rear end started slipping, I look in the mirror, there are tracks and a spray pattern of fluid, So I back up, see more fluid, parked it and took the Jeep. Got back and lifted it, expecting to find a brake hose leaking, or rusted line, or axle seal, nothing but dripping from the exhaust. There are two big cats under this thing, the water is at a joint after the cat, in the muffler, and at the tail pipe. I figure maybe a cat is closing up and not allowing flow, but after it was warm one side was around 250 at idle, the other 220, both were 125 leaving the cat. Its clear water, no rainbow of anti freeze like a head gasket was going, but you gotta figure this is some sign of a bigger problem, or maybe the exhaust is just leaking enough now that the water has a place to get out.

Just wondering if anyone has had something like this happen. Really figuring its gonna be a pain lose this vehicle over the upcoming winter, and see if there is somewhere else to look.

if there is coolant in the cooling system, and only water in the exhaust, my guess is that it's normal condensation in the exhaust system.

My old cars shoot out some water when they're cold, too. If you pay attention to it, it can unnerve you. If you ignore it, everything is fine.
    Last edited by squirrel; October 5, 2016, 06:35 AM.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My 04 LS 6.0 with dual's throws water out everytime I crank it up. Newer vehicles I have been told have holes right in the mufflers to let it drip out.
      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

the temp of the exhaust when it cools it gets condensation that pools up

at least that is what i tell my self as ever car i have had does this lol
        Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
        Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

I have just been going thru alot, waiting for the next thing to go wrong, so leaving for an appointment with a spray of water is pretty much something I would expect right now. Drips when its hot is one thing, but starting cold after 4 days of not driving it and seeing a spray just worried me more. Put a few hundred miles on it since, went out for an old CJ-7 saturday, I guess nothing is wrong........yet. I always thought poking holes where its leaking would at least keep the massive muffler and cats lasting a little longer, just have not done it yet.

Comment

You discovered the reason why its advisable to drive a vehicle until it is at operating temp. One of the hardest things you can do, especially to the exhaust, is to start it, drive it to the mailbox then back and shut it off. The heat cycle results in condensation forming inside the engine and exhaust system. If you don't get it hot enough to boil the water out, you will end up with rust and milkshakes. That is a big part of why you don't run a 160 thermostat except in a race car, and why I have to run my ethanol fueled engines with at least a 195 Tstat, because if I don't the water will build up in the crankcase and milkshake the oil. The oil has to get hot enough to boil the water out.

My 65 on 87 octane seems to spew considerably more water than the E85 fueled 70, which is surprising to me because H2O is one of the byproducts of running ethanol.

Don't worry about it, just make sure you get the thing good and hot before you shut it off.

Comment

That water is a modern marvel.

just drive.

I'll get a shot of the little subaru at zero or less.
              stainless all the way through on an msd ignition. MBS high flow cat..
              very very fine cloud. Within seconds.

anyway
              cold exhaust in the back half brings waters dripping.

High performance mufflers help the chevys, I put my truck with flowmaster last year.
              Still has waters..but less of it. stays warmer.

the finer the cloud the hotter it is. this is good for anyone but japan and california.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 27, 2016, 09:00 AM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
              X