Options for a pop up camper axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Options for a pop up camper axle?

I have a pop up that we use, and would like to use on longer trips, Like the power -tour , for example..
    I don't really like the small by tiny tires on this thing.
    IIRC they are 12" rims, and 3-4" wide tires..
    Looking at ideas/ options..
    No idea where to look to see if they make larger rims/wheels to mount on the axle bolt pattern, or if the extra load would do more harm than good to the bearings..

The other idea/option I was thinking of was a minivan rear dumbie axle , or a small truck live axle (exployer/s-10/astro/etc)

I know I'll have to add lifting brackets to the spring to frame and or flip the axle to under the springs..

I'd think the minivan axle should be able to take the campers weight, have replaceable hubs/bearing but most are not left sprung..

I'm not sure if the campers short leaf springs would be safe with the raised height, might be fine..

Or would it be better to use the leaf springs on a liv axle, and remove leaves , to maybe one or two..

I've seen way to many camper tiny tires let go on the road,, and /or bearings burning up..
    As I don't think they were designed for todays highway speeds..

The camper didn't sway at all at 70-75mph.. on the first trip, but I was mostly going 55-60mph as it was the first time out with it..

Idea's on This??

my brother has a pop up camper from the 70s, he put a new axle in it that he got from the trailer supply place. Didn't seem to be too much work, he doesn't do any welding, it was a bolt in deal. I can get details if you'd like. I think it has 14" wheels on it now.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      my brother has a pop up camper from the 70s, he put a new axle in it that he got from the trailer supply place. Didn't seem to be too much work, he doesn't do any welding, it was a bolt in deal. I can get details if you'd like. I think it has 14" wheels on it now.
      Thanks, I'll hit the local trailer/rv store . and see what is out there..
      but if you come across that info, that be great..
      Mine is a 1995 model..Jayco so maybe I'll get lucky and bigger wheels will bolt on, after I raise the frame to axle so they clear..
      I'd think the bearing speed with the tiny tires is most of the bearing issues, and driving at todays speeds..
      Bigger/taller tires/wheels would slow the bearing speed..

Comment

Sometimes those tiny axles/wheels still have the five-on-4 1/2" bolt-circle pattern, if so then these would bolt right up: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5267_200365267 They have cheaper ones too, $85 each.

If they have a four-lug pattern you'd have to find another wheel. Those tires look pretty tough anyhow.

I've never had trailer bearings (even really overloaded ones) fail from weight...they always go due to corrosion, If you pulled yours apart and the rollers/races looked OK, I'd just go with what's there with some fresh grease and call it good. If not, replace with what the trailer store (or Northern Hydraulics, etc.) has and not hassle with fabbing-up or adapting anything.

As far as the larger diameter fitting in the wheelwells, yeah you might have to lift things a bit with spacers, flip, shackles or whatever worked, or some sheetmetal work if you didn't want it sitting higher. I would't change the spring rate from what the mfr. chose...stiffer ones might contribute to the thing falling apart faster, softer ones might get bouncing at speed.

edit: Our Tractor Supply store (for example) has light-duty trailer axles lined up along the wall to chose from, if you went the total-replacement route.
        Last edited by Loren; May 30, 2016, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks,,, This is a 4 bolt wheel pattern.. and the wheels/tire are under the camper.. no fenders..
          First thing I did was clean and repack the bearings,,
          I might be over thinking this, I just look at that tiny tire, and go eekkk

Comment

The tires are labeled
            5.30x12
            and using a tape measure it is 21.3" tall and tread is a whopping 3.75" wide

Comment

Probably the best thing you can do after proper bearing maintenance, is see if you can find high quality tires. As opposed to the chinese junk that they usually put on them.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I agree with Jim.

I imagine the majority of bearing failures are from years of neglect.
                What causes a tire to fail? Age, overloaded, under inflated, road hazard.

So, yes - to answer your question, I think you are overthinking it. New tires (proper load range), good bearings with lots of fresh grease - perhaps a bearing buddy if they make one for your hubs, and you should be fine.

Narrow tread shouldn't hurt anything if you aren't off-roading the trailer - they should be less likely to hydroplane.

Comment

Try this little trick when on the road - it can avert a disaster and is super easy.

Every time you stop for fuel or munchies, walk around your trailer and just lightly lay the back of your hand on the bearing hub/dust cover.

It should be cool-to-mildly-warm in temperature. You'll know if its getting hot, will be able to feel the heat radiating away from it.

On a really hot day in the 95-100 degree range expect mildly warm, by that I mean about the same or less as your plate of food after a 60 second microwave job.

Much more than that heat and I'd let it cool down and slow it up some for a while, at least until the first chance you get to repack your bearings.

Using good grease helps too, some grease breaks down much earlier than others.

This little trailer was abandoned on top of about 4 cords of wood, had rotten/missing large chunks tires and a rotten 600# wood deck.

Tossed the wood deck in favor of aluminum, got the weight down to 560# empty (it was 850# empty, yikes!), new tires and packed the bearings with the sticky red synthetic grease.

Now it gets used regularly to haul 1500# buggies on 360 mile one way trips. Works great.

Granted my tires are wider, but I believe the hubs are the same as what you have. I guarantee our wheel speeds on the highway are very similar too. We don't putt-putt along.

Pretty sure these tires are rated for 1800# each. There are different weight ratings for these size tires, be sure to pay close attention as its a large difference, and easy to overlook when shopping.

Oh, by the way - checking temperature should be done to the tires at the same time. Expect them to be slightly warm, but it they are real warm or approaching hot its time for some rethinking and concern. Tires blow when overheated! And they mess up your trailer and load real bad too!
                  Last edited by STINEY; October 9, 2016, 02:44 PM.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Swaying trailers blow tires every time too!

Comment

Agree with the above. I had a U-haul car trailer tire essentially come off on me a few years ago, but I saw it coming a mile off. I picked up the unloaded trailer in Salt Lake City, UT and was heading to Denver, CO. Every time I stopped I checked all four hubs and tires, and one of the three hubs was a fair amount warmer than the others and I had my suspicions. Loaded the car up in Denver and made it about three miles before I could see smoke bellowing out of the right side of the trailer. I knew exactly what it was. Pulled off to a side street and that hub was cook'in. It's fairly obvious when they aren't happy if you have driven for 20 minutes or so then check them.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've bought from these people as they are local or have a local location to me but they do ship.
                        I'm diggin your sand rail and buggy there stiney. They look like fun.
                        Rich

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X