Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal sheet for base gasket

351 Cleveland Carter AFB

So, I found a gasket and cut one, too. Now what I believe I need is a sheet metal plate the same as the gasket to block off the hot gasses from the manifold. Can't find one, so what to make it from is the question.

thin stainless steel, maybe in the .010 to .015" thick range.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Epoxy the hole shut..

Comment

is it this intake?

My fabulous web page

Comment

That one's a lot cleaner, but that appears to be it. The thinnest ss I have is 22 ga, about .031. Next trip to town, I guess.
          Last edited by Yardpilot; May 18, 2016, 08:02 PM.

Comment

no epoxy..stainless al the way.
            there is also thinner than .25 inch 6061

onlinemetals.com has been my favorite for some time now.

my subaru is all metal whistling away...aircraft aluminum base. Class 10-12 anti shakers for bolts (120000 psi)

that is the only probelm with all metal. toughen those studs via psi numbers.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 18, 2016, 08:28 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yard saled up some 1/16" aluminum plates and got some Mr. Gasket gaskets. Can't find any thin ss anywhere around here.How about a gasket, a plate and a gasket?
              Last edited by Yardpilot; May 26, 2016, 11:19 PM.

Comment

mcmaster carr sells thin sheet ss. It'll take two days to get it?

My fabulous web page

Comment

If you don't want to order something, get some thin galvanized sheet steel at the hardware store.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Won't the galvanized get eaten up? I can get regular steel or 16 gauge stainless. I can't believe that in three towns with multiple parts stores, hardware stores, welding shops, tin benders and the like I can't find a piece of 28 gauge ss. 16 gauge is a bit heavuer, but would it do the job?

Comment

the thin metal will confom to the carb base better. But if you use a gasket on top of it, don't worry about it. Anything will work.

My fabulous web page

Comment

So why not, epoxy... It was the way to do most mods to ports and intakes for years. until aftermarket parts...
                        A metal plate isn't going to keep the heat away from the carb. the epoxy will as you can block the entrance inches away from the carb base..

Comment

Found: One old truck with a Carter AFB with an existing ss thin metal plate. Shiny and clean, no tears or dings. Used. Should work, right?

Comment

That's my favorite type, old original...
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Laid up for awhile. Back at it now. I'm figuring on the thin stainless down first, then a gasket. Would there be any advantage to the thin stainless then a gasket, then an aluminum 1/16" plate then another gasket? Would that affect the temperature of the carb?
                              Last edited by Yardpilot; August 3, 2016, 11:02 PM. Reason: Edited because 16" plate woul be just a tad excessive.

Comment

Working...
                              X