Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotating a differential 90* - how to lubricate pinion bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel - I'll get pics for you when I'm down there next day or so. I may have the orientation confused on it making this conversation moot unless it gets a Fiat differential stuck under it.

I've been wondering about lawn tractor transaxles too, but they're nowhere near wide enough. The three I have floating around are all transaxles. The next thought was a busted ATV with an independent rear suspension, and extending the axles as needed. No reason it shouldn't ride smooth. LOL. From what I've read, the big ATV's weigh about the same as a golf cart already. That would probably be the smart move, the more I think about it.
    Last edited by Beagle; December 1, 2015, 11:22 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by quick 52 View Post
      over fill

Exactly what I was thinking.Glad I checked posts so I didn't look like a moron... or more of a moron.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Pop a tail stopping wheelie once a week to let the oil drift onto the bearing...

Comment

how bout a cheap 12v electric fuelpump and a pickup fitting welded to the back of housing
          and another fitting somewhere near pinion seal to dump oil right on those bearings?

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            I'm wanting to rotate a golf cart differential 90 degrees to where the pinion shaft is vertical so I can use an old lawn tractor engine I have laying around. Where I'm stuck is how to provide lubrication to the pinion bearings since it won't be near the lube level any more. I thought maybe something like a splasher, but that's thick oil. Thoughts?
            My friend, who has some serious fabrication and welding skills, investigated a similar conversion for an Ez-Go gas golf cart using a Kohler vertical shaft engine. He came to the conclusion that a vertical shaft conversion required too many parts, and too much fab work to make is worth the time. He figured the best options were a reverse rotation snowmobile engine (for reverse), or side shaft tractor engine/trans. A right angle gearbox would work (if you can find the right diameter shaft), and certain mower axles could be used, but by the time you're done you could've installed the other engines with less time and work involved. In the end he found a cheap junk golf cart with a good engine. It took all of a few hours to swap engines after that!
            Last edited by tardis454; February 14, 2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

That's kind of where I am with it unless I find a Peerless or similar from something like a walk behind, which would solve reverse and the right angle drive issue. The torq-a-verter would likely become the problem with that kind of setup. It's back burnered right now though, new job. and
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
              X