No announcement yet.

1976 Firebird 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

350s use the same intake as 455s and 400s, but you only want 65 and later manifolds, the flange angle is different on the early engines. So you don't need a specific one. The Edelbrock performer works almost as good as the stock one, and it's lighter so it's an option. Swapping to a chevy means you have to change everything, wiring is different because the starter and alternator are on the opposite side of a chevy. Fuel lines are drivers side on Pontiac passenger side on chevy, the transmission case will need to be changed, the mounts are different, radiator is different, brackets won't interchange, so you need a ton of stuff to do the swap. Its a hell of alot cheaper and easier to find a 400 and build it, plus you'll get more power without resorting to aftermarket heads. Go to a chevy if you want, but it will cost more and you'll go slower for the same money, particularly if you do a crate 350.

Everything between a 350 and 400 interchanges except the pistons and rings, other than the bore size they're essentially the same engine. The 455 is only slightly different, bore and main journal size are different, they have a 0.030 larger bore than a 400, but a big 4.21" stroke. You can build a large cube Pontiac for around $4000 if you spend money where it matters, I did a 455 with heavily ported heads and a hydraulic roller cam for $4200, and that included a 4.25" crank kit from Butler. That thing is 550hp and 600ftlbs (under 6000rpm no less) all day running E85. You're not going to build a chevy comparable to it for that little.

Right now, headers and a 4 barrel intake is all you need. No need for an ignition change other than to recurve the advance so it comes in faster and is full advance before 3000rpm. The HEI works great, I've run them for years.

Don't worry about the rear end, it's an 8.5 10 bolt, it's takes more power than you're going to build to break one. Finding a posi is easy and relatively inexpensive, they're not the weak pos 7.5" ten bolt that the 82-02 F bodys had.

Oh and Bob, the 301 showed up in 77, if an earlier car had one, it wasn't born with it. Easy way to spot one of them 301s is the dipstick is behind the drivers side head, all other Pontiac V8 engines have it passenger side between #2 and #4 cylinders.

Comment

Thanks Thumpin.. Was told it was a 301..

Comment

Todd is the man when it comes to Ponchos. As Todd was saying about the head volume, Pontiac used the 350 6X head on the late 70 Trans Am 400 motors. It boosted the normal 7.5:1 CR to 8:1. Along with a little hotter cam pushed power up to 220 HP IIRC.

One thing I didn't see anyone mention, the catalytic converter. Does it still have the original pellet cat? These were absolutely horrible flowing cats. It code even be plugged up. If it still has the original cat, they have a drain plug to remove the pellets. GM use to sell replacement pellets back in the day. Either remove the whole POS if your state doesn't require it or replace it with a high flowing unit.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Todd, didn't the 301 have a funky looking intake manifold? Seem to recall they looked like a single plane?
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Spray the 350 until you melt it down and start building a stroker in the meantime, it's the Pontiac way. You'll never get the power you want out of a 350.

Comment

i think Ill keep it all Pontiac,Cars with different makers motors have always kind of turned me off. Though I do have access to an Olds 350. Theres no cat, convs. on it, has dual exhaust w\ flowmasters I believe. It sounds kickass almost like it has a mild cam in it. but for the 350 im going to try to find the 4bbl. set up and If im impressed I ll build it . And look for 400 at the same time. With the 400 Ive read some have oil flow issues do you Thumper know what to stay away from or anyone? And the heads on mine do have 6X in the casting also on the heads is D2767 stamped on them.
              Last edited by Foxkelly; November 23, 2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

75-76 had some shitty block castings, if you go with anything pre 70 you might have an issue with motor mounts. Good luck with the new ride, I'm digging it.

Comment

If it does have a little but of a cam is only going to make matters worse at low rpms with the low 7.5 cr. It would be interesting to see what kind cranking compression it's making. Got a compression gauge?
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I know I had one but I havnt seen it for awhile, lol my garage was a mess I finally cleaned it up so I could park my bird in it I through most everything in totes and Im still in the process of sorting and placing tools where they need to go. But ya I would like to see what the compression is. If I find it Ill do it. I know I have two timing guns I havnt seen for a while ether damn!

Comment

if you find a 400, look on the back of the block behind the head for a casting #. if it ends with 557, that's the weaker block. I have personally run 11's at 115mph a bunch of times in my 3800lb t/a using a 557 block. if you're on pump gas with factory heads, it won't matter which block you use. rpm is more than likely what will hurt it, so aim for under 6k rpm if you use that block.

on a side note, your car should probably have 6x-4 heads which would work perfect on a flat top 400 for pump gas and a mild cam. little smaller chamber than the rest of the smog 400 heads. would put it around 8.5:1 compression. with a mild cam, headers, 4bbl, 350hp 400lbft right there. probably run mid 13's at over 100mph with any gear you want in your bird. you can identify the head by looking at the machined flat spot where the a/c bracket bolts on. there will be a stamped number there.

my dad has a 400 built just like this that has been in his 4x4 gmc since 1998. had a little crower cam that was something like 217/[email protected]. pulled to about 5000rpm. thing rips it even in a 5400lb truck. after about 190k miles, he had some valve trouble and my brother and I ended up swapping the cam to a little crower (224/[email protected]) that I had left over and some 6x-8 heads (with the bigger 101cc chambers vs 92cc on his milled 6x-4's). negligible difference in torque at low rpm, revs a couple hundred rpm higher. now it will lug around at 1200rpm on 87 octane with no pinging. (granny low 4 spd and dad drives it like its a diesel.)
                      1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

Where in Nebraska are you located? I have a friend in York who is close to me in knowledge of Pontiac engines, he has a ton of pays too.

Comment

Working...
                        X