2003 F150 Harley-Davidson Error interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 F150 Harley-Davidson Error interpretation

I'm hoping a delaer tech expert or someone who knows Ford repair can help me out. My truck displayed a CHECK ENGINE SOON light this weekend. I used my buddies code reader and got this. What I don't know is what exactly I need to do about it short of going to the dealer. I'm thinking it may be simple, but I didn't find any fuses out or similar easy stuff like that. This thing is all stock 72,000 miles. The truck has a 5.4 supercharged two valve modular motor.

Any help or insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

When I worked at Autozone and saw that code, the first thing I ALWAYS recommended was inspecting the wiring. Making sure none of the loom came loose and cooked itself to the exhaust or was rubbing on something. If all looks well, then the sensor likely has a blown heating resistor and needs to be replaced. Reading the screen I'm not sure which sensor it is on the truck as it should have 3 or 4 of them.

PM Doug Garrison, he probably would know.

And for reference, the LC-1 on my Skylark gave me that error once and changing the sensor fixed it (after not seeing anything unusual with the wiring).
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; June 29, 2015, 08:45 PM.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Randall, that is helpful, I had to replace one of the four O2 sensors on the truck about 10 months ago (it gave a different code that time) so they may all be getting to that stage. I'll have to get under it this weekend and see if the wiring somehow got somewhere it shouldn't have. At least I have a spare sensor as I bought a second as it happened right before DW, of course.
      Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I think that Randall hit it on the head... Looks like bank one sensor 2 could be the culprit... with the number of miles on the truck, i would suspect an O2 sensor.that is one of the less expensive remedies... Yes, I cheated and looked it up on google search for PO140 Ford...
        Last edited by silver_bullet; June 30, 2015, 03:51 AM.
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The heated circuit on the passenger upstream has failed.
          Had that happening to a brand new Bosch o2 sensor a few weeks back.
          "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

So I'm clear this means replace the up stream passenger side sensor, right?

Big thanks to all of you!

Comment

Runner1972: is there a preferred brand for these? The local O'Rielly's stocks the Bosch and can get the Motorcraft or Denso.

Comment

Originally posted by CDMBill View Post
                Runner1972: is there a preferred brand for these? The local O'Rielly's stocks the Bosch and can get the Motorcraft or Denso.
                Motorcraft.
                "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

motorcraft is going to be an up-charged Bosch, or NTK sensor. They don't make their own O2 sensors. IMO get the Bosch from an O-Reillys so you can get the warranty replacement. and make sure it dies within 12 months
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

if it decides to trigger before warmed.. that code kicks off.
                      Try clearing once, see if it comes back.
                      I ignore them, clear code, verify gas mileage.

maine does it all winter starting at 15F at night.
                      The scanner I bought somehow cleared it off to never do it again.
                      First year of 2 sensors was 1996. GMC did not get the second one quite right.. great for swapping to be the primary, as it sits there brand new.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I feel blessed that I don't face the annual weather challenges that most of you do. The cleaning idea is interesting, how do you clean an O2 sensor other than wipe off the soot?

Comment

Cleaning sensors was a thing with the old 1-wire sensors, not sure I'd waste my time on a modern 4+ wire one. Not to mention, you got a heating error, not a reading error, so I don't think cleaning is going to work.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                          X