Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets

So I went to the track a few weeks ago and was told my helmet was outdated, it's a M95. So I've been looking for a new helmet and have a few questions. First what is the difference between a "M" rating and a "SA" rating, I kind of understand that M stands for Motorcyle, but what does the SA stand for? And is there a difference in the way a M helmet is made in comparison to a SA helmet. And can a M helmet be used when being inside a car or is it for motorcycles only? Also 2015 is a new year for helmets so the M2015 and SA2015 are new to the market, but most suppliers are still selling the 2010 models and I don't want to buy a helmet that is rated for 2010 and be out of date in 5 years, so in my looking I have found a Simpson helmet that is rated M2015, but it doesn't seem they have released the SA2015 version of it yet. So am I ok buying the M2015, I do have a motorcycle and do ride so this could be a dual purpose helmet. Anyway fill me in on what I need to know. Thanks.
    Last edited by BigAL; April 18, 2015, 06:14 PM.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

The dating lasts a lot more than 5 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1024141

Looks like 12 years from the rated date.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks Jim that helps a lot.
      The Green Machine.

Comment

I think that the m spec helmets are only good on motocycles because they aren't made to hold up to an in car fire . Dan Stokes I believe has mentioned this before.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We use dirt bike type helmets in demo derby because they hold up better to being banged around in the car.. Regular helmets and motorbike helmets are compromised once they get a chip..

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
            I think that the m spec helmets are only good on motocycles because they aren't made to hold up to an in car fire . Dan Stokes I believe has mentioned this before.
            x2, I have a M spec helmet that was made to wear in a car, have you ever seen someone use a Hans on a motor cycle? Better question what make a helmet expire? I am all for safety but having to rebuy or recert the crap every 5 years could put me out of the game. I was looking at bell housings the other day because I really like my feet and I want to do some 6k clutch drops $650 for a bell that's only good for 5 years sucks!
            Last edited by Russell; April 21, 2015, 02:14 PM.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

The rule of thumb is 5 years for a motorcycle helmet because, in theory you wear it a lot...and you sweat and get all your body goo in it...its that sweat, goo and acid that deteriorate the padding..

As Jim pointed out...it dont apply in this case......
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Plus for using the motocross style helmets in derby cars is their washability .. Pads come out to be washed..
                I wonder if some of th better car helmets can be washed like Nascar ones? .

Comment

NHRA allows me to use an M rated helmet for my 11 sec bracket car. I have an M2005, so I'll need a new one before 2017.

Comment

If I remember correctly M helmets are more abrasion resistant. Helmet to road when you get dumped.
                    Testing by SNELL etc are always improving the helmets. The big question is can your body survive.
                    I have seen helmets evolve from CORK liners to carbon fiber with nomex liners and adjustable padding to fit your odd shaped head over the last 55 years.
                    My biggest problem with a helmet is that I have a FAT head and could easily wear a size 8 if someone made one.

Nick
                    Last edited by nickleone; April 23, 2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Nick, like ME! Hard to find a nice fitting helmet for my fat head too!
                      Last edited by Deaf Bob; April 23, 2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Dan B is absolutely right. I'm no expert but I did attend the helmet seminar that Joe Timney brought to an ECTA meet - interesting stuff. As stated, the difference from M to SA is fire resistance vs. abrasion resistance. Not much abrasion in the event of a car crash (vs. dragging your head down the road) and not a huge fire risk on a bike - you can leave.

All in all, I was convinced to buy a $1000 Arai for the LSR work that I do. Among other things, the liner is sort of "crunchy" compared to a "M" helmet as it's very fire resistant and the clear visor is about twice as thick as the M helmets so that a flame will be resisted for much longer. Arai says that even the shell is made differently. The guy who put on the seminar said that my M Bell actually fit pretty well but they change sizes but stuffing more padding in them so there's a lot of shell for my head size - harder to fit around the roll cage. Starting, I think, this year, M helmets will no longer be acceptable at ECTA but I'm not sure about SCTA. Absolutely no clue in the drag racing world - at Coastal Plains there was NO tech inspection AT ALL. I was shocked.

But ya - I'd pop for a SA helmet.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 23, 2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

What made up my mind was in the rules Jim posted, saying that if you have a supercharger that you have to have a SA rated helmet.
                          The Green Machine.

Comment

I agree it is a good idea to have a SA helmet. But how is a blown car more of a fire risk than a NA car?
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

The rules are talking about dragsters and funny cars in relation to superchargers. You need to be able to translate rulebook-speak to plain English.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X