broken torque converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken torque converter

what could have led to damage like this.

the transmission lost 2nd gear first, then a couple days later he lost the rest.

78 malibu with a small block 408ci, 71 z28 heads, comp 270h cam, 265hp and 450 torques at the wheels. 3.08 gears posi, shitty 255 tires. shock 700r4 with a tci full manual valve body, reverse pattern, with engine braking, non lock up converter, 2300 stall.
    Last edited by freetard; April 17, 2015, 12:09 AM.

Pump go bad?

Comment

How long ago since rebuild? It looks like a precision converter

Comment

This is my brothers car. He was taking it to a shop befor so I never got the full story.

The car has maybe 5000kms on it with that motor and trans.

The trans came from craigslist and didn't work, so it was rebuild and the valve body installed. Tci converter is used.

1500kms later it's dead. I'm not exactly sure, Somthing to do with the oil pump, "oil pump drive shaft?" . Rebuilt again new converter, the blue one in the.

Now dead again at 5000kms. broken converter "oil pump drive shaft?". Looks to be broken in the deceleration direction.

Comment

Now he's got a new tci 700r4 same style valve body and a tci converter again, but using a lock up style converter this time. I'm worried it's going to happen again.
          Last edited by freetard; April 17, 2015, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freetard View Post
            Now he's got a new tci 700r4 same style valve body and a tci converter again, but using a lock up style converter this time. I'm worried it's going to happen again.
            The pump drive are the tangs that fit into those slots which is why people are saying bad pump They are simple little gear pumps, but enough of a chip between the gears meshing will throw it off. Might have been a hairline crack in the converter to begin with, though. May also question the amount of mesh that was in the pump, like if there was alot of space between the flywheel and the converter after it was buried for installation. There is a converter that is about 1/4 inch skinnier so its not buried against the flywheel when its installed, or the skinny one is being used and drawing out of the pump drive to have too much slack.

Comment

I want to say the directions for my B&M called for it to be pulled out of the transmission 125 thousandths of an inch (1/8" ) . This allows for crank endplay to have the freedom to move without wiping out the thrust bearing in the engine or damaging the transmission and/or converter. It also allows for some swelling of the converter under load or heat or whatnot without causing binding.
              In my car, when the converter was pushed all the way into the transmission, and the bell housing was bolted to the engine, there was 1/4" gap (.250" ) between the converter and the flexplate. Therefor I used a 1/8" thick head bolt washer between the converter and the flex plate, so the converter was pulled out of the transmission the suggested amount of .125" or 1/8".

Don't know if this little bit of info is helpful to anyone in this case... because I've heard of the converter breaking the pump, never heard of the pump breaking the converter.
              Last edited by yellomalibu; April 18, 2015, 08:33 AM.

Comment

just went back to look at the converter, i see witness marks about 1/8" from the bottom of groove. so engagement looks good.

maybe hes just down shifting way to hard.

Comment

Working...
                X