Starter noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter noise

Had to fire up the Catalina to put it on the trailer to get it to the mechanic to get it sorted out. I turned the key and it made a awful noise like a bad bearing or something. I can't explain it but it sounded horrid and then the car would jerk then make the noise then jerk and then it made a more recognizable noise like the flywheel was spinning and the starter engaged. Are starters lubed internally or anything like that? I'm wondering if the flywheel on the car is jacked up. Once it started it ran really good. Still has that stumble but ran good.
    Visit my sons blog:
    www.driftundertheradar.com

Yuck. Sounds like starter bendix gear or flywheel gear just got eaten. Aten? Ate. Anyway, get somebody to turn it over by hand while you look at the flywheel teeth?
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I agree with Beags, sounds like broken teeth. The teeth get broken off and the bendix gear in the starter grinds against the nubs getting just enough traction to turn the flywheel until the good gears catch (grinding noise). When the gears catch you get the jerk, then more broken teeth, then all is good for awhile.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

southern starters quick to retreat.. making the gear come out is not so fast.
        Head to the frigid, the gear hangs out there tickling a flywheel, but engages no problem.

One way or another..those starters have not changed much. Tolerances one way or another.

Easy fixes, after getting a fresh one. I remember a guru here local that did unique things to alternators/starters/wipers/heaters.
        almost like synthentic approaches to modern engines. Change the thermal values for better to be anywhere anytime.

I still rip into heater and alternator and wipers, starters are big and hammer like. Just make them good to repeat a common routine....that better option exists however. Certain grease etc.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Looks like I'll add a starter to the list.
          Visit my sons blog:

Comment

It's kind of a pain but I'd check the flywheel / flex plate first.

something like that would sound "BAD" trying to turn over.

Last edited by Beagle; March 2, 2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Yep. It's probably the teeth on the flywheel, not the starter. Beagles picture's are probably what you'll find. If it was the starter teeth, the behavior you were observing would be slightly different. It's a much smaller gear with way less teeth so even one missing would present a shorter pattern of noise/jerk/crank. It's a pain in the butt to check since you gotta crawl under the car, but it's fairly easy to do most of the time.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

I figured the flywheel would be toast with the jerking and grinding noise. The best way to describe the starter noise is a load groaning when trying to turn over. Like it is putting too much strain on the starter.
                Visit my sons blog:

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
                  I figured the flywheel would be toast with the jerking and grinding noise. The best way to describe the starter noise is a load groaning when trying to turn over. Like it is putting too much strain on the starter.
                  That'd make sense... if the starter's teeth are slipping over the flywheel teeth, then it probably is straining as the teeth try to engage and hit a high spot on the flywheel tooth that's not high enough to make the teeth engage properly but not ground off enough to just let the starter spin over the top of it. Basically, it'd bind up the tooth to the "sort of" tooth instead of going between the "sort of" teeth. It'd sound like total hell because it's forcing itself through that state. It'd also be a good way for something to clearance itself and bust (starter / block). Huge pressure from stuff not engaging correctly.
                  Last edited by Beagle; March 2, 2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post

Was it turning over really slowly?

Starters make some weird noises when the battery is low? Kind of grunting or groaning noises.

Usually when the teeth are bad on the flywheel and/or the starter, the sound is referred to "zinging" . You hit the key and it just goes "zinnngggg" - and you usually let go of the key really fast, because it sounds so bad.

Starters that need to be shimmed make a hideous noise, too. The teeth may look fine on the starter and the flywheel, but when cranking, it makes a high pitched almost metallic squeaking sound that us very loud.

Hope this helps

Comment

You know, it was. I'll have to load test the battery.
                      Visit my sons blog:

Comment

Talked to the mechanic today. He said that whoever installed the starter used way to many shims on it. He said it is way better than before but figures I'd need to think about replacing it down the road. I told him to swap it out. He said the flywheel was fine so I'm happy about that.
                        Visit my sons blog:

Comment

Good news, hopefully that takes care of it.

Comment

For the past month or so I hadīnt moved my Camaro very far, just to move it out of the way.
                            Today I had to move it again......cranked it......the noise from below was a dreadful bang and grind......no start.
                            Remembering the comment here about low battery power I set up the charger and gave it some juice.
                            Half an hour later it cranked over and fired first time.

Comment

Working...
                            X