No announcement yet.

Compression test on an 85 Chevy 305

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love a big block. Think I'm going to have to stay with the small block though.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I would think about doing this - put new plugs and wires on it or at least wipe the plug wires down with kerosene and brake clean / new dielectric grease both boots, and maybe a cap and a hotter coil if it's burning a lot of oil. As shitty as that plug looks there is all the chance in the world that the rings are STUCK in gunge. I would consider dropping some Marvel Mystery Oil down the bores and letting it soak overnight or maybe a day or two if you can. I'd spin it over and blow that junk out, and spin it again after spraying some Berryman B12 down the plug holes so it hopefully thins it out some and goes past the rings so you don't hydro it when you put the plugs back in. Might need some B12 down the carb to start it after that, it may gunk up the plugs. I'd be sorely tempted to run a couple of quarts of diesel in crank case, like 3 quarts 30 weight, 2 quarts diesel for a minute or so at idle or less if it starts ticking then change the oil if I thought it was roached already. I'd also consider fogging the carb with Seafoam but not choke it completely out.

You know, about 50.00-100.00 bet that you can make it run better long enough for warm weather to return. What've you got to lose?

Is it burning that much oil?

I had a '78 Impala with at least 3 dead cylinders from a wiped cam and I drove it for close to a year that way because I was the poster boy for broke. It should still go, just take forever to get you there. When I say go, I could still run 80, I just expected to get passed by stock 1300 cc bugs on the way. It started and ran, just not "good"... but good enough. I never hesitated to take it anywhere, but I had bigger balls back then and no cell phone... just tools in the trunk and determination.

75 psi is enough to run it. Maybe not good, but good enough. Better than 50 mph...
      Last edited by Beagle; January 22, 2015, 04:19 PM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
        It's bothering me because I dropped at least one cylinder and there wasn't exactly an abundance of power to begin with. Couldn't get above 50mph and I live way out in the middle of nowhere. It's about 10 miles from here to the closest gas station. If it gives up the ghost on the road, I don't even have cell reception in a lot of places and it gets really cold up here during the winter.
        So you 're not in BFE, you're in BFW?
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Beags, I'm tempted to take your advice, real tempted.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

When I got my 84, it was cheap because it needed a valve job - it was only running on 5 or 6 cylinders (also a 305). Being new to me, I did some of the things Beags is suggesting, and VIOLA, it's over 3 years later, and still running fine.

Comment

Alright. You guys talked me into it. No idea when I can get the stuff I need, but when I do I'll keep this updated.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

I'd give Beags advice a shot too. My first car was a 62 Fairlane, 170 I6.I could have used it for a mosquito truck. Then my brother's 66 beetle got rear ended and needed my car for his 80 mile round trip to school. About a month later, the rings freed up and it ran great,didn't use too much oil after that.

Didn't GM have trouble with rings in the 305? I seem to recall that GM used a flash chroming process on the rings. The chrome didn't last long and they consumed a lot of oil.
                Last edited by Huskinhano; January 22, 2015, 09:25 PM.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

run it til it dies!

if you ever think you have a blown head gasket, heres a simple test;
                  Head gasket blown test. How to tell if your car's head gasket is blown DIY with Scotty Kilmer. How to tell if your head gasket is leaking and needs repair. H...

i think the kits about $30.oo at napa?

lots of things can effect cranking compression, a worn timing chain can change valve events, carbon build up in the valves, seats and rings, atmosheric pressure, cam, over-tightened rockers, etc. tons of things!
                  i do the old school carbon cleaning once a year or so. get the motor hot, slowly pour a glass of water down the carb while running, then go beat the piss out of it. you can litteraly hear the carbon deposits going out the exhaust. some guys use tranny fluid or seafoam too, but it can get smokey. i change plugs after this also.

really hope you can resurect her.

Comment

Going to have to rebuild the carb and redo the intake and valve cover gaskets, too. I already have a set of wires I never got around to cutting to length, let alone installing. Going to run Seafoam through the brake booster vacuum line once everything is all buttoned up to see if I can clean out any crud from that direction. Hopefully I won't have the fire department and Forestry service show up at my door afterwards. They are real twitchy when it comes to forest fires around here.

Alright, gonna need the gaskets, new plugs, Marvel Mystery oil. some diesel, 30 weight, Berryman, Seafoam, bucket of carb cleaner soak, carb kit... The cap and rotor could stand to be replaced. it's actually even about time to do it. I'll wait on those to see if any of the other stuff works, they function at the moment.

The OCD part of me is going nuts right about now because I really want to tear this apart and set the engine right or drop in a freshened up junkyard motor.

The grease monkey part of me is giggling like a fool.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I'm with these fellers.

Actually I will be surprised if the above does NOT cure it. RedNeckJoe has it right.....running a quart of water through basically steam cleans the combustion chamber/pistons from the inside. Lots of junk comes lose.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

No money you can save some by cleaning the plugs... just heat them with a torch till cherry red and let cool will look like new
                        Drag week 2009 Quickest street rod
                        Drag week 2010 Quickest street rod

Comment

I've replaced bad plugs like those when I was buying junkers to derby.. Used to run runners and ALWAYS put in new PLUGS, BETTER WIRES, CAP, ROTOR, COUPLE CANS OF CARB SPRAY and an OIL CHANGE with filter... They always perked up.. Sometimes I'd run half qt diesel down the carb at a fairly fast idle and kill it by dumping the 2nd half in and next day fire it up..once the smoke clears I had a very good derby motor..
                          What you are seeing is in reality NOTHING TO SWEAT! Might not be perfect..
                          I get having to work on gravel.. Changed the cam in my flatbed in January when it was very freaking cold and rainy.. Had a tarp over the cab, heater in the tarped area and my ass still got wet!
                          Best outside heater? Hot water tank with the top chopped off and chunks of pallets.. Be sure to put a 6X6 hole near the bottom for air.. Won't smoke much unless wood is real wet. Once it is hot.. Just chuck a chunk in every so often. Keep it hot and going..

Comment

Doing a compression check on one cylinder is a complete waste of time. Do all of them, or none.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Once the weather cooperated, I was able to get the Big Red Bitch up and running again. It's actually stronger now than it has been since I got it. I'm downloading pictures now and will do a breakdown of what I did to it as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the help, encouragement and ideas guys! This only ended up costing a fraction of what a replacement engine would have and she's running like a top.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Tried using an old soda bottle with a hole drilled in the cap to squirt the MMO in the spark plug hole. Didn't work out so well. Eventually found a length of tubing that would fit over the end of a small funnel. That worked much better, but I had to pour real slow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1919.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	1016431

Filled each cylinder until it ran out the hole, let it sit over night, then refilled again in the morning. Did this for 3 days, then turned it over a few times to clear the cylinders. Let it sit overnight again, then cleared the cylinders again in the morning.

Here's the bolts from the intake exactly as they came out. Notice anything besides grunge?

Name:	100_1920.JPG
Views:	564
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	1016433

Only 4 of them had lock washers on them, and the one on the passengers side rear i could spin out by hand. I think I've found the source of the problem. Now lets see how bad it is. By the way, I had to fish the 12th one out of the snow under the truck, but it was accounted for.

Alright, lifter valley. No chunks, only minor coolant from the removal of the intake... this holds promise. The cheap chrome valve covers are rusty as hell after putting the old girl through a couple of winters and the damn spin bars never hold well and leak, but they'll do for the time. Those middle passages have a nice collection of gunk though. Meh.

Name:	100_1923.JPG
Views:	606
Size:	267.8 KB
ID:	1016434

Name:	100_1924.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1016435

Attached Files
                                I'm probably wrong