Turbocharged 355ci SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbocharged 355ci SBC

Nice mild setup that you can drop into a street car and drive daily.

Selling the 350 I have built with the Martin 350-1 turbo setup.

350, bored 0.030 over 209 block casting (passenger dipstick)
    920 casting heads - ported and polished - 7.83:1 compression, Manley stainless steel sodium filled exhaust valves (to deal with the extra heat from the turbo), new guides, true hard seats, Manley stainless intake valves, etc.
    Stock crank and rods with good bolts, balanced
    Forged TRW pistons - L2441F30's with Sealed Power HellFire rings
    Melling HV/HP oil pump, Midwest Motorsports trapdoor road race oil pan, GMPP windage tray
    Felpro Gaskets
    Clevite77 Bearings
    Milodon Mail Bolts
    Speedpro camshaft with matching Elgin springs - 214/224@50 114lsa, .443/.460 lift
    Speedpro Double Roller Timing set
    Midwest Motorsports heavy duty rocker arms and pushrods
    HEI with Accell module and coil

Less than 150 miles, basically it was dropped in the car, fired up and broken in, and run on the chassis dyno a few times. 300hp during break-in at the rear wheels. 358rwhp/508ft-lbs torque with a little tuning at 6.5psi on 91 octane. Should be able to do about 9psi on 94 octane pump gas and north of 400rwhp. A 60-1 compressor upgrade will flow enough for 600hp.

Martin 350-1 Turbo Kit
    Fully rebuilt by J&R turbos with a RayJay 301EE10 turbo. Adjustable boost regulator, and stock one set at 6.5psi. Complete and installed on motor.

Built as a quick daily driver style engine that is bulletproof. Looks like a stocker (minus the turbo) but but pulls like a strong big block when you get on it. Even has a C.A.R.B. E.O. number for camaros up until 1985 if you have to worry about smog. Have bill for the motor.

$3500cdn for the engine and turbo setup. Drop the engine in, throw your carb on and go! Located just north of toronto. Thats under $3K US last I checked.

Pics below are when the engine was in the car - it has been pulled out now and is on the stand waiting to be picked up. I can even put the 305 sticker back on the valve cover if you want to mess with people!

Re: Turbocharged 355ci SBC

how much was it to put the turbo on it?

Comment

Lets just say I am loosing money on this motor at $3500 cdn. Thats about $2800 US. You couldn't build it for that much.

Comment

I haven't a turbo like that in years and it was on a boat.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Its a Martin setup. Banks and Martin were top of the line back in the day and are about the only two oldschool turbo setups that worked as advertised. They had a price tag of $3K in 1980 when a fully loaded camaro was only $12K.

They made three different setups, that all had CARB EO numbers - pickup trucks, camaro/firebird, and corvette. The turbo placement was moved around to clear everything in the various chassis. The company went under in the mid 80's due to mismanagement but their kits are still popular since they are emissions exempt for all camaros/firebirds, pickups to 85' and corvettes to 82'.

They will make about 450hp at 9psi but that is maxing out the turbo. A common upgrade is to swap out the compressor to a 60-1 unit and be good to about 600hp. This does make the motor a little laggy however. With the stock V1/V2 wheel in it, there is no discernable turbo lag and its at full boost by 2500rpm.

Comment

Working...
          X