• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont' get jiggy with the side grinder... d'oh

all is good now

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Despite the resounding silence (hehe, punny), I suspect BBR will eventually look up from his mopar addiction and wonder what's become of this bike...

As stock is just too reliable, I present the new, larger BY 1.5MM carb.

time to jet

Comment

• old v. new on the left

installed, I need to do some work on this, though... the airbox does not connect to the carb very well

at least it's ready to ride again

Comment

• I hadn't caught up on this in a while, good to hear you're riding it, spent a couple hours on my KTM today going fast (ish) and avoiding trees. Good fun! If you are riding woods, carb tuning just off idle, is critical. I would work on changing the pilot jet and tuning the idle mixture as a good starting point for low rpm smooth response to throttle input. In a carb like this the main jet only effects WOT. Next weekend me and a friend are heading to Michigan' s U.P. for some serious miles in the wilderness, if you google 'moss lake' there are a few vids on you tube.

Comment

• getting it ready for riding season again... I think I need to replace the clutch (I replaced the cable, didn't fix the issue)

and a plug change... now to start it

Comment

• I went riding with some guys a couple of weeks ago. First time I had ridden without my kids in a long time. I was the newbie to the group and was very happy to not be the weak link despite riding the oldest and smallest bike. It was a very challenging ride and I rode up some crazy stuff I didn't know I could. I was plenty jealous of the 2 guys on Husaberg/KTM 2 stroke 300's! Those look like nice bikes and the electric start is pure genius! I upgraded the fork springs to some 0.42kg's and it improved the front end 10 fold. Going to ride an enduro with these guys in March. Should be fun. http://www.postenduroassociation.org/?p=8

That 500 is probably a freaking tractor.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
              1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
              1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
              1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
              1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
              1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• In comparing son's CR250 and KTM 530, the 250 is faster and nimbler but the KTM just tractors along. 250 is 2 stroke, 530 is 4 stroke.. Yeah the electric start on the 530 is sweet when you are ready to roll downhill ass first...

Comment

• I've yet to ride a faster or more nimble bike than my CR500af... I know that sounds like bragging, but - it's really not. The KTM is nice, but so heavy/long wheel base. The CR250 and KX250s I've ridden are nice because they're light and quick; but their power band - the KX is nicer to you, the CR will kick your tail if you don't pay attention... however both don't make much power (at least compared to my beastie) until you're well into the power band. The thing about the CR 500af is this, you get a powerband that is predictable, demon quick, but predictably quick.... and once you get into the open - it's good thing they don't have doors, they'd lose them at any point on the power band.

that said, when I rebuild this motor, I'm adding a compression release to make it easier starting.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 25, 2015, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• Yeah, I get the powerband thing. Was going over rough ground that I should have been standing for and was blipping the throttle while porpoising.. Plus I tend to foul the plug on the CR.. I'm used to the XL350, those new high crotch bikes make me fall over. ...
                    Really need to lose weight, get my knee replaced and go dirtbiking more.

Comment

• ugh, ignorance was bliss... this clutch was worn with a capital worn

the bike

apart

aren't those teeth worn into the clutch basket pretty? you can see the pressure plate as well is worn past usefulness.

I measured the steels and frictions - they were all substantially under minimum tolerance

even the push rod was worn

ah well, it will be all better than new when I put it back together - but like the discovery, it stopped me for at least a week.

Comment

• Wow, that basket is nearly a wall hanger.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• at least now I know why the clutch never seemed to disengage... maybe now I can kick start it without need for a relief valve.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SuperBuickGuy;n1013003. maybe now I can kick start it without need for a relief valve.[/QUOTE]

That is a distinct possibility. The drag had to be substantial.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• new parts comparison new v. old

this one wasn't easy to find...

it looks pretty good inside, and that the case has been apart (like my brother said)

Hinson basket

to take old apart, you have to grind the rivets off - which went pretty easily, actually

press the old gear out, heat the basket to 400* and freeze the gear.... it drops in place - some rotation is required (which Hinson didn't say in their instructions...no worries, though)

Comment

• and now new and improved with clutch

Comment

Working...
                                X