Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mechanical principles

I love this video.

within is answers to several ongoing things.
    a boxer does not need belts or a chain for two camshafts...

..the same size teeth can change a ratio, by changing the shape of a gear...

I wonder if anyone ever made an aperture gear. Like the gadget that lets light in metered for a camera.
    automatic trans would surely go back to the yeasty pizza eaters then.

I still want a mini-unimog ends for my subaru cv.
    3 feet of clearance while being 6 feet off the ground...(that is the top of the roof).

I bet jeeps would go back to beer drinkers then.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 16, 2015, 05:27 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• first photo

Gave some precise photographic attention to the old soob.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ouside 001w1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1070483

From inside the house, and behind a tree, bright sun coming at me.

attempting this with the little nikon, is much more difficult. This is also a crop to a large photo, and responded well to auto color correction. I was simply playing around, not getting all settings in...mainly focus. This does even better...I was not being serious.
      Chances are increased just from the size of the photos the dslr takes in.

we hit 19f last night, that is frost in the windshield on the bumper...as of 11 am, some of it is still there.
      The next weeks are going to get very feisty here...thrashing from south and arctic, as history has written, it creates at least one epic scene. Not all that common, the last one was 1998...the el nino stuff.

the camera is using battery at a fairly good pace. I learned to call them burrs of young. Nothing unusual in consumption, anything new in digital has done the same for me. This one started off good, all functions are in the micronic games.

Memorizing abilities will take some time, but have found a few winner settings already. I do not care for the video much, will only use as an option. I actually wanted the heavy weight sony a100 for more than one reason...
      This a35 is yet my strange desire to go with intuition of the real evolution of digital. As I feel the old mirror, it is all done.. translucent has already dialed me into every photo. The live view is all we got...sony nailed it well. I'll keep an eye open for the sony news..

now not to forget the little nikon...to this day that is the grand champ in more than one situation, beyond dslr. Macro photos, and how to reach the objects is the claim to fame. Will never let that little one go...very fast, always hand held... and never lost.

the big dslr, there is a tip from me already... it will take days and weeks to gain speed and sharpness. Stay dynamical through all settings, let nothing sit around in there for long. Keep some good batteries feeding it, the nominal levelling off of all the functions is quite an epiphany when it happens. Same for anything being new and digital, not just cameras.

that may be the #1 trait for the little ones. the nominal content happens much sooner, lasts a lot longer.
      I like the math for this sony. The max colors is similar to max pixels. Chips can move fast, the more summary battles you take away from them. today with muti-threads... I have a good intuition about this sony. I learned this on my own, near ten years ago. I programmed something that uses colors and a graph, 3000 operations a second. Glad to see something similar in the camera.

A test to see if real data is dialing in.. compare overall photo sizes to oem claims. Small is memory data taking too long to write. A sharpen click , like in irfan view gives, should add almost a megabyte or more...and hopefully overdo it. As you want it right, one try, with no adjustments anyway.

manual mode needs aperture and some other things set before dialing into manual... that was a big move. I did not find that in instructions. Already nailing this one down. Seems infinite in choices to get what you are capturing.

I tried a self portrait on a timer, I have one of myself every couple of years. Best version yet, I am still ugly, but the realism of the capture.
      I may get family members now. I always avoided the photos.

I have a whiteness in my eyes, and appear to be scarred... and am not. It is an age old tale of labor, adding an air force 700mph and 60 below. I'll stay out of the photos, but will capture some for others. I was never enthused until someone asked me, in 2005. The photo I took turned out to be the last for the person, I know the value of keeping it right and focused. The big dslr should conquer the dramatic thoughts. Some capture drama, I am out to conquer it.

another thing to conquer is video. I have had it all.
      the sony drops right into windows, no bizarre hacked up open source software needed to decode. My chinese dash cam needs that stuff however.
      I do have a silenced claim to fame, it goes back to 2008 or so..

I found a way to use something called avivo on the ATI vid card. I played around for what seemed to be 5 hours chopped right off encde times. Uploaded to you tube and was surprised at how ahead I got on this sickening subject.

I still deleted my silly experiments, let the millionares losing take back over.

To this day, the slobs making cpus think they fixed the problems for end users...the encoding taking forever is one of them.

it is not fixed. A tiny piece inside the cpu dedicated is doing nothing but make a toaster.
      Anyway, experimented with the new cameras hefty anamorphic 1440x1080... avivo hardware encode.

wow. I did it again. I'll share when I feel the wrath of you tube is peaceful. It ought to be by now, even a 7 year old has 8 cores and a video game. Anger of loss is why I ducked from that realm of fun. I only thought i lost, and overcame the scene.

my goal was journalism, and that does get boring without entertainment. A funny person, or story, some kind of story...other than the vehicle itself.
      At 42 yrs old, I am more a brick now than ever, so this stuff will just fade away. I like the pros work anyway.

Will try to get the sube accurate, on the new stuff, and the truck simply for the hurst shifter. That fixed the nv3500 like a billet filter on a vortec.
      Then call it quits for the vids.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 19, 2015, 02:51 AM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• first dslr photos
        did not get under the hood or anything else yet. Still experimenting. Click image for larger version

Name:	subaru1 004w.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	742.9 KB
ID:	1070909

resized down a lot etc. I have not seen this car yet in a real cameras eye. I was hoping to catch the slight peculiar difference the 85-87 have in the rear wheel centering, and that fat front end. I feel it did. Looks accurate.

I have explained how subaru did that, all with one body in previous posts. My loyale with these wheels would have them sticking right out of the wells. Click image for larger version

Name:	subaru1 002w.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	713.2 KB
ID:	1070910

This first gen a10 chassis was a fat one. The back end is 2 inches wider than the loyales as well. Not an easy wheel well to repair.

anyway, enjoying the camera, taking shots a little more serious. Practice for vehicles more valuable than this one. For those that turn a blind eye, claiming falsity..the big cameras are the weapons of choice to fight them off.
        focus right in.

This Sony a35 is still dialing in class 6 extreme III memory (20mb/s), and doing good. Gets better as time goes along. Click image for larger version

Name:	subaru1 007w.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	1070911

played with high contrast black and white for this one.

there is some things I enjoy about this one, beyond engines, power etc.

these lights with antique plate registration seems an oxymoron at first, a paradox, until realizing they were the first batch in the world to have 9004 bulbs (ford was the other one).
        Still in use today on all vehicles, subtle changes, part numbers and angles.

Popping the hood to see a carb and old looking disty... I simply like the real threads of future meeting themselves....as old.

watching the 1320 videos since the beginning, they came a long way. Those videos woke me to the modern era, especially the truck. I had joked of this subaru with a v8, tubbed, live axle, long arms gusseted to the b-pillars to keep control... that was years ago, before the net. In fact, it was a 1970s ea81 of my neighbors. Deemed it impossible, but this ea82 could do it easier.I am inspired to go after such a daydream with the fat sube no one noticed..

gm aluminum, or ford.. either one. I'd love the welding, as I know the physics of this chassis very well.
        Photos have a lot to do with planning that stuff out. I have every beam documented, every extra...
        Could make quite a monster someday....coming down to a purr idle, civilized. I first saw that with a nelson engine video, a 66 malibu.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 21, 2015, 08:04 PM.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• weather

another subject I am veering away from is the weather.. always wondering if we were the cold spot of the nation, adding to the factors of this alien tin can, by sight and sound.
          this cars first engine had the paste of coagulation on the block and heads. green and brown, keeps stuff like afly trap, including active heavy elements. that goes poisonous eventually, and gobbles aluminum.
          simply put: it exceeded 36F below somewhere in its life.

anyway,
          found this site:
          The Weather Channel and weather.com provide a national and local weather forecast for cities, as well as weather radar, report and hurricane coverage

there is 3 databases, and the gov accepted all of them. Looking at modern numbers is the best bet, the calibration of instruments etc.

Name:	lownov24_15 001.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	747.7 KB
ID:	1071469

last night for example, we were 7 degrees below the low forecast and what was recorded.

we hit 12.4..official record keeping shows 19 written.
          for national numbers, the midwest saw -2F as a nations extreme, so we were not the coldest.

An iron block GM is my main go, I never thought of the cold back then. Glad to be back in one. Content enough out there today to realize maine has the most vivid mig welder sparkling sky, and an air mass untouched by mankind at times.

The right equipment changes a lot of things, that go unnoticed, when caught up in a focus taking up my time.
          Teasing with math of guts correct, is like a skinny super model claiming to be an eskimo.

No regrets, we all live once.

I am just kidding on stopping the weather hobby, shared at a hot rod forum, where a subaru should not be either.
          I got some good recipes too...chef john would be envious.

edit:

Name:	cold 006.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	795.3 KB
ID:	1071646

7.7F - I knew I'd catch it. I finally dished out 4 dollars for the hong kongkian thermometer that records the minimum. This is for nov 25th. Presque isle made the top ten cold spots in the usa yesterday. the peculiar thing that goes unmentioned...all the records are mountain tops except central maine. My version of central maine is not the southern ghetto called lewiston. "Central" maine is much more north than that..about 100 miles or so. It does this every year, and I am glad to catch it. Sometimes new york or new hampshire is in the mix..most often maine. Towns with real living people.

if it is the coldest and no one is there to feel it... what is bangor maine?

The record low of 6 is only 1F away for this morning... this year is going to be a bone acher.
          The town I am in gains an anomaly. It is known to a lot of weather anchors..related to hills and flows. the same stuff happens all the way to georgia. Maine simply has different numbers.

I found there is a valley between big bear brook mtn or something with a similar name off to the northwest.. funnels the clayton lake phenomena right to where I am.

Truck warmed right in, I must have done it right. This can take enough air in at the cold temp to blow the bottom end right out...go easy in the cold especially. The previous owner was smart. I can tell they were easy going too. Not all that common to get a real breathing v8 to last locally. I like the computer curve of this one. Now with the iron blocks "cold snap" is hardly a term used. Now it is just waiting for viscosity, and the air to thin out some to the big throttle bodies of today, during the deeper chills.
          My subaru on the other hand has a "cold snap", it even changes shape. Warmups are especially long. The same for a four foot bald male disco queen with a suspensionless bimmer.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 25, 2015, 11:54 AM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• a35 camera updates

found a surprise gift, and its not even xmas.
            Giving it to my camera.

I am finding 18-55mm is like the little point and shoot...great for capturing an interior room, or macro...but the sony a35 needs more than that.
            I do not like the thought of swapping 18-55 to 55-200 just for a distance shot or back to close.
            I want it all in one big lense.

wanting the biggest zoom I could afford landed me at the Tamron 18-200mm, and I opted for the cheap 55mm 2x screw on magnify.
            The lense is easy to find in america, worthwhile.

400mm in theory, with the 2x. I do like to aim at outer space sometimes. Of course all together or alone, it is aspherical , computer derived etc.. meant for the modern builds.
            cheaper than you think... gaining some bigger necessity.

this 16.2mp is worth it thus far.
            test shots will be the tin can of course.

turkey day as of now.
            I have a relative who works with a man from kuwait. Not a refugee, loves america, a citizen with some coastal land, at the maine coast. I would guess millionare at a minimum. Always welcome at the coast.
            He mentioned his kids were coming by for thanksgiving, and he says with a dialect "we all eat chicken. Chicken is my turkey. "
            as it turns out, it is 9 kids, and 12 cars in the driveway.

that is going to be a lot of chicken.
            The point, is how one native holiday, simply derived from a good crop, in one good year, had enough to go around for many...shared in peace.
            It turned out to be around the world.

Happy Thanksgiving.
            take lots of photos.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 25, 2015, 11:15 PM.
            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• perfect season?!

way to go, for subaru.

The roots of their rally is very humble. It is like any one of us stepping up with the factory product, quickly analyze potential and break everything before the race is over...
              but with a go ahead, time and money willing of the company itself.

that is what this past season did for them. they stuck to subaru for this build of subaru.

of course, no chassis makes it. vermont sports car did very good.

I hope the knowledge of what needs strong, transfers to the real enthusiasts out there.

...and that waste gate needs a turbo valve head. whooda thunk it.

Name:	sweater 001w.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1072008

I guess I'll stop using this as a mat at the base of my toilet.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 28, 2015, 10:56 PM.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• some more inspiration for suby lovers.

I left off scoping out the EJ engine, admiring the intake he is using. Did not pursue any further.. that must have been 10 years ago.It is almost getting old to some... should have caught on more.
                that is the world of subaru for you.

I still forget to go big in all places. the suby alloys once firing, need big amps. That is were mine is parked today..broken battery negative. I have changed the level 4 times...each time broken battery negative. That was supposed to be rare events.

that is the world of racing engines for you.
                Previously boxer3main

Comment

• warm winter update

Name:	200mm 008w.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	1073515

antique registrations for maine, now outnumber farm vehicles. I am pretty sure that just happened as a first for this past year. Now at 19484. the restomod move is really coming around. I knew it would, as the internet even fed my rare soob wagon. My first go with antique and this subaru was at 12000 or so..just 2 years ago. That is quite a leap..still getting bigger.

the antique plate needed renewing, gave it a cold start anyway.. keep the bad battery up.
                  a scraping thumping noise from the back..and there it was..the rear wiper decided to work. I left the switch on, it must be several months.
                  got some buzzing bee engine idle was expecting to hear again some day, the rear wiper is now working..and the front wipers gave a hint.
                  battery tried to self heal..and gave up the ghost anyway.

it is a great indicator. Maybe I'll just go with the same CCA, only being a new battery.
                  this will be a comically quick sube to realize the tiny guts making it move.

renewed the plates, will get it out there some weekend soon, move things around. the tin can does not change shapes like it used to. the rockers are 5 layers, topped off with full cold rolled stainless steel for the 5 foot run.
                  it does not care about winter. the doors shut the same at all times.
                  That chore took 8 years to finally calm down.

yes I could "slap in a v8"
                  just needs a live rear end.
                  I'd live to weld up my own cage too.. all a dream for now.
                  I even mapped use of the suby front end.. adding my own spindle hack.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 8, 2015, 06:22 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

• I'll be 43 next month. My first ride in one was the ea71 to 81 then onto ea82 in the 80s. I simply liked the boxer, dd not know how runted it was being a kid. Did not care. Taking on the ea82 began in 1997, I knew they were thrown away left and right. Great project for poverty budgets. All the subarus have a hindered largeness..and being kept kicked in the knee by hundreds and thousands of tiny thinks, taking it down to a gimp over and over again..
                    My love is hot rods. My preference is iron. My future is self balance. Subaru, I must admit, it has some of it. I am a fan enough to hate it, for years at a time.
                    I let something slip once, a thought to my father...
                    he bought me a subaru pullover sweater, that I never wear. He was the only one who knew what I had to say.

this coming year, I bet they get some important stuff done. Back to serious, keeping the little things away..

I hope so for them. That anchor has to happen to keep the good fans.
                    american v8 has been there fo more than half a century.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

• flock of ice and a herd of geese

some years ago, I was mad at something called "depth of field," with my point and shoot, and did not get made fun of describing what was missing. Depth of field is the words I needed. A small fstop number will blur the tree branches due to distance of the object being focused far away. Increasing fstop, and all else needed for light and focus, allows the capture of both. It is up to the photographer. Too much fstop leaves the whole thing a bit blurred. Click image for larger version

Name:	1stice 012w.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	817.3 KB
ID:	1074626

this one is at F20. Big one. I stopped there, decent compromise.

I looked up to a flock of geese today... mid december. Something never seen before is happening this year, keeping the camera ready to go.

I do not drive the subaru at all in this...or most of the time now, for that matter. Not an easy going alloy.
                      the aging gmc is quite a super hero about now.

30F and drizzle... I guess its going to all volcanic rain later today.

helping clean up the garage, I gathered the pieces of last january's build of what is in the car now. Some have an extra bolt and scratch their heads wondering where it went.

I have 6 cylinder heads, nearly 100 bolts, 16 rockers, 16 lifters, intake and exhaust valves all over the place. Two intake manifolds, valve covers from every year of these engines.. optical and magnetic disty, and the crazy RX one not many would dare use again if they could. I poured it all into one bucket. A complete turbo motor built my way sooner than later.

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	1074737

I have also taken my valves back from ebay, the turbo ones...going to use those. I suppose that is the only hint I am giving.
                      I will go with all new full hydraulic and the 1993 spfi cams... a little turbo and central the fuel across one little pipe called an intake.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 14, 2015, 08:29 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

• winter

Name:	soobspot 002w.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	1077007

30 minute warmup to move it to the end of the lot. 30 minute warmups...I used to do that all winter long, every time I needed it. 8 years continuous. Definitely a summer race engine now, even with air controls maximized. What a long road it has been.

It will be sitting all winter this time. This spot gets it away from salt and snowblower. Owner of the building had me move it.

my blogger spot for this is not working windows live writer correctly..
                        it may be the end of the blog for awhile, til I figure out another program. 1300 posts...hate to see it end. Will think of something.

An unusual tech gadget I got in 2009, was the last revision mpeg 2 as digital. 704x480 anamorphic. 16:9 aspect was still a big deal being new. A genuine 10mb/s write was needed for memory. The Panasonic sdr-s10. Bulletproof as ever. I had it on ebay and the mental retardation that goes with evolution of gadgetry left it sitting there, 10 times less the cost I paid...

So, for giggles ,as this recorded so fast, memory was not even available at the time of purchase. I put in a spare sandisk ultra today, a claimed 40mb/s. The "old" panasonic was outdated and too far ahead at the same time. Now fixed better than ever. 6 years later, I finally gave it a decent memory.

This makes 4 cameras ready to go in my humble arsenal. The sdr-s10, I call that the go pro on steroids. Grandpa standards of video, and modern strength.

I use soundcloud when I got a melody or musical tune I want to make. It is always from others music of course. I found that my favorite clip made from free software took the lead in my list of silly melody making.
                        Nice to see my favorite as going with the flow.

korn shoots and ladders

it is indeed a war tune. I made it 4 years ago. Some can hear the war tunes, before they arrive. They'll go onto live.
                        onto 2016...

I wanted to post here only for builds and action, blog would have gotten this post.

Name:	soobsno 001w.jpg
Size:	696.9 KB
ID:	1077442
                        I'll clean it off some day.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 30, 2015, 01:22 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	horse 003w.jpg
Size:	782.4 KB
ID:	1077782

I always wanted a photo with my brown subaru and a horse.
                          I look out to see one trotting by in the driveway.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

• one of the first serious old suby drivers I met on the web.. more than 10 years ago. I wandered away from forums..lost track.
                            the other one was from australia.
                            random videos several years apart still show up on my you tube.

glad to see this old sube still running. I know it likes the warm tropics of central america.
                            this one had a flat six for some time.. I am not sure that it went back to the ea82 four cyl.

my first bridge to culture and the same model automobile as a hobby in a dramatically different place. The north ends up the biggest.. and angry at the same time. We all stay cool about these observations.
                            one thing in common was the north needing suspension like central america's earthquake challenges. I like what he did with the cars back springs.
                            Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 6, 2016, 05:08 AM.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

• 47 to 7f

Name:	dryjansube 001w.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	676.3 KB
ID:	1079583

here comes the stuff that drove me to science. the old subae is a tough one to get warm. I gave it a run today after a 35 minute warmup..it was still cold. the battery being half assed is not helping. This also likes to weep the new seal at the oil pump when the negative is not working. The self rebuilder oxides need a strong tug at the bat negative. Very fresh young build.

I forget how loud this is.. I like it there.

with the heavy rain gone by, we are now looking at 8 to 14 inches of snow a day later, temps in the single digits. Nice to see a glimpse in january of a clear driveway, even if it is short lived.

This car has been a vent for imagination, including music. A joke about this dual range wagon that goes from 4 low full locked diff to whispering a 2wd 90hp at barely 80mph..
                              ziggy stardust was among its playlist.
                              RIP to David Bowie, a music legend.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 11, 2016, 08:19 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main

Comment

• subaru fire

this is the bridge that I got hit with lightning in my subaru. Click image for larger version

Name:	10065161_H16792451-600x800.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1080406

A vehicle fire temporarily slowed traffic on the Interstate 395 bridge between Bangor and Brewer backed up traffic during the busy Thursday evening commute but resulted in no injuries, Maine State Police Lt. Rod Charette said. He said it was not clear what sparked the fire but noted that the Subaru demolished in the fire had 196,000 miles on it.
                                The nuclear black hole must have released my subarus hit in 2010 from the bowels of the bridge, due to energy of the rare september blood moon and january hurricane off of africa.
                                North Koreas H-bomb test is a big helper.

with that said..
                                my subaru is sitting light and tight.
                                maine is sinking, not left or right.

it's future telling has never lost,
                                the flood will be a great cost.

may as well make poetry out of it.
                                lovely dainty apocosoobalypse.
                                Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 14, 2016, 08:22 PM.
                                Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                                X