Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good call on keeping Rhonda happy, and that's a big milestone. I'm sure you have great plans for that! Just a hint though, ladies don't find walkers, cane's, seeing eye dogs, wheelchairs, depends, or preperation H gag jokes nearly as funny as men do. There was a white cane going around the family of the last ex's. It had a rear view mirror and horn on it amongst other accessories. It goes to the next person in line when they turn 40. I guess it's gonna get parked for a while until the kids get there.

I like the electric heater for instant heat and as long as the power is on you have heat. I like the LPG or natural gas because it is way less expensive and it's there if the power goes out. I feel a little more comfortable with the electric around fumes, but I guess it's a toss-up in the long run. I still need to get the 80-100k house furnace from dad's garage, my gas water heater is already in the garage, it'd be a no brainer to tee into. I've been running electrics for a couple of years, the "micothermic" units are wall mounts, seem to work pretty good. Sure does make it nicer!
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Seen In Garlits Museum parking lot 3 days ago...

Mellow yellow Falcon. Maybe a 1963? Not my first choice of colour or wheels, but someone has invested a lot of TLC (> $5K at any rate).

Good luck with your project.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mlcraven; February 25, 2012, 01:47 AM.
      Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• NICE
        I agree on the wheels.

I don't think I'm going to put the fender top trim back on - at least not with the circulart dealios on top.

Yesterday I built steel columns to support the piece of cherry wood that will become our new mantel (wifes bday present)

Today I got the majority of the interior stripped out of the falcon - parts bagged and tagged.
        Headliner - gone
        both door panels and rear side panels, gone, glass trim gone
        sill plates, kick panels, gone.

Some rust repair in both doors, not bad.

I will be getting front floor pans for a 64 mustang, they are 1/3 the cost of falcon floors and as seen on tffn.net - they can be made to fit with minimal fuss. Since I will most likely be modifying the trans tunnel to make more room for the AOD, I'll do all that at once.

Dash and front seat are still in the car.

Broke down some of the V8 65 mustang front suspension for clean up.

Got an oil pan, oil pump driveshaft from NPD for the engine.

One thing at a time.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• What oil pan did you use? Can you post a picture?
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Oil pans get a bit confusing in this saga.

The ranger took the fox body mustang double hump pan. That won't work in either the ranger or Matt's 77 ford truck.

The '77 takes a truck pan with a "center sump" I happened to have the pan, but needed a pick up which I got off ebay.

The falcon needs the traditional small block ford front sump pan, NPD has them for $36, since they are less than a mile from my shop - no shipping, but I did have to pay MI sales tax 6%. What I'm considering is making this pan larger capacity by adding boxes to the sides without lowering the bottom of the sump.

Here's basically what I got from another, but from another ebay seller:

Here's what I'm considering - it's affordable - but a 9" sump makes me reconsider ground clearance issues....

Here's some progress pics.... and pics of wrinkles I have to fix - I'm considering using mustang front inner fender aprons and core support. NPD is walking distance to my shop and has the mustang stuff in stock and cheap, lots of this sheet metal is not available for falcon, and if it is, it's 3-4x the price of the mustang stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120226-00645.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	860725Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120226-00648.jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	860723Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120226-00644.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	860728Click image for larger version

Name:	Van Buren-20120225-00643.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	860726Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120226-00649.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	860724Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120226-00646.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	860727
            Last edited by milner351; February 27, 2012, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• This Falcon isn't going to be much of a light weight with a fireplace in it
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• coal box...

Comment

• Fireplace solves the heater core problem...

Check out the anti-gravity device John built into the new Mantle supports! That wood mantle is a good 3-4 inches above them! Sweet stuff going on in Chateau Milner!

That's a weird place for an inner door structure to rot?

What's the deal with the core support? It seems fairly bunged up for how the car looked.......quick-n-dirty repair to a front ender?
                  Last edited by STINEY; February 27, 2012, 08:51 AM.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                    Check out the anti-gravity device John built into the new Mantle supports!
                    I thought he was showing off some new subframe connectors.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

• Time to go check out my shop!

Whew......had me worried for a minute. All is well here, nothing has been moved or disturbed for months. Wait, that's not a good thing.
                      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• The pic of the mantel columns was my lame attempt at justifying not getting more done on the car over the weekend, the cheap oak prefab mantel hanging on the wall was a quick way to finish off the room a few years back, been there too long - I didn't even finish the edge where the drywall stops and tile starts - all that is over the ugliest light brick you've ever seen.

Re - learning TIG cost me a lot of time on Saturday afternoon - but - I'd rather practice welding on those things than on a part that will become integral to the safe operation of an automobile. The columns will be painted satin black to blend in with the stove surround, the object being to show off the slab of cherry wood on top. Sure beats any store bought mantels I looked at that would have taken forever to assemble and finish - and/or would not have worked with the woodstove at all.

The door rot on the passenger side is indeed strange - it was under the lower trim piece that holds the bottom of the door panel.
                        It won't be seen with the door panel in place - so I'll probably POR15 and forget it.

The front of this car was hit pretty hard.

THe more I look into it - the inner fenders or aprons from the shocktower forward are crumpled on both sides as shown, the core support is pretty badly butchered. The front bumper was bent up - probably "straightened" with a chain at some point and the rest of the front end parts just weren't there - the "gravel guard" between bumper and core support, lower valance, etc, - just not there..... all the more reason to go with a bumperless roll pan look on the front! Michigan doesn't require a front license plate - so I don't have to worry about that either. Maybe just bumperettes like a cobra to be "legal"???
                        Last edited by milner351; February 27, 2012, 09:29 AM.

Comment

• Are you going to fasten the stands to the Hearth, or the wood to the wall? With a big piece of wood on top it looks like it might be top heavy. Hate to see Lee knock it over.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            ... Maybe just bumperettes like a cobra to be "legal"???
                            Use the mantle.

Comment

• Per the mantel tipping over - I will weld clips on the top plates so they can be screwed to the firring strips we put on the brick to screw the drywall in to - I echo your concerns of Lee pulling the whole thing over on himself - 55" TV and all!

Maybe some combination of these parts will help make the front of the car happy again:

Last edited by milner351; February 27, 2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• NPD oil pan - $36 - 5 quart, uses stock oil pump pick up, plenty of ground clearance.

A quart is 57.75 cubic inches. The thought is to build sheet metal boxes for each side of the pan to add 2 quarts of capacity without adding any depth to the sump.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton-20120225-00642.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	860732

Or cop out and buy the one I linked to above - but that's deeper sump - and closer to speed bumps.

Last edited by milner351; February 27, 2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X