Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

62 Falcon - $5k challenge, how will it rise from the ranger's ashes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the info - it appears that I have most of the right parts to follow along with that article - I will have to get a 65 v8 falcon center link - I have the entire mustang set up.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      while not a ford guy, I'm fairly certain you have that backwards. I had Mustang now have Grenada rotors on the Spider - the Grenada rotors are 11, the Mustang 9.5". I use the Mustang Spindle, but, there might be a difference that is allowed for by the bearings (I bought the grenada rotors as "conversion" parts from CCP).
      The Granada rotor is a tick under 11" even though it's called an 11" rotor. Your suspension on your Spider is based off the Mustang II from 74 to 78 and the Pinto from 74 to 80 which used a much smaller rotor. It's simply too small to be used on larger cars that the Mustang II set up is now used on. The after market adapted the Granda rotor to the Mustang II spindle as a "big disc brake"

Mid year of 67 Ford switched from the 4 piston KH caliper to a simpler, cheaper single piston caliper. This set up was used from 67 to 73 Mustangs. The Granada is basically a copy of the 67-73 set up but nothing will interchange other then wheel bearings I think. The 67 to 73 rotor is 11.25" Tbirds and full size Fords from 65 to 67 used a 4 piston KH caliper as well but they used a monster 12" x 1.25" rotor that the Mustangs guys adapted to their cars for road racing. It provides tremendous stopping power and weighs a lot.
      Last edited by Huskinhano; April 4, 2012, 12:40 PM.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• what made confused was the cross reference to the Granada and the 65-7 Mustang.... I thought the Granada was a product of the 70s.... but then again, there could be that ultra-rare 1965 Granada that I know nothing about

And I thought about 12" brakes on the Spider, but had this mental picture of my wife and her bloodhound plastered against the front windshield and thought a bit of restraint might be called for (restraint, as in, it's only a 500 hp 1900 lb sports car)...
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Yeah, the Granada is a product of the 70's, from 75 to 80. The early Mustang guys used them because not that many Mustangs came from the factory with discs and all Granadas came with disc brakes. By the late 70's on when the Granadas started hitting the bone yard, there were a ton of them and they easily adapted to the Mustang along with not to many companies selling disc conversion kits. Now Granada disc brakes are becoming hard to find and there's a ton of disc brake kits for early Mustangs. It no longer makes sense to use Granada discs unless you already have them.

You could just play with master cylinder piston size to adjust pedal pressure along with pad material. The size of the rotor isn't going to do much other then it's ability to shed heat. With Milner's Falcon, a 7/8" to no bigger then 1" will work just fine with no power assist.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; April 4, 2012, 02:42 PM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Milner, here's some info on the "Arning" drop that I was talking about. I have a professionally made steel template I'll loan you or you can down load and print out a template. A word of caution about printing one out, it's only going to be as accurate as your printer is!

Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I truly appreciate all the input folks, you guys are helping more than you know.

I finally got around to pulling the timing cover, cam, lifters and oil pan off the Ranger engine last night..... it's a good thing I didn't just put this engine into the falcon and head for dragweek. As soon as I pulled the pan I saw that horrible site - metalflake - copper and chrome.

The initial start up with the oil galley plug below the intake manifold missing was enough to kill the main bearings. I pulled the caps and was so disgusted I called it a night before pulling pistons. Matt's 77 truck is going to have to wait a while longer for a powertrain transplant.

Comment

• Hey, don't thank us yet, you didn't get the bill.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Milner it was nice to meet you and your friend today it's always good to put a face with the type you read. Hope you guys had a safe trip home.
                  Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Great to meet you Greg - sorry it was so short - we were running around all day - Brian had a pedometer on we walked over 12,000 steps.

Several missions accomplished:

1. original engine, axle, driveshaft, radiator, steel wheels, SOLD + $150

2. Rust free straight hood, purchased - $100

3. Rust free, much straighter than I have Drivers fender, purchased - $40.

4. Straight and usable with some polish rear bumper, rusty but straight enough to cut modify and paint front bumper, purchased - $150

5. Black steering wheel, horn ring and new spring much better than what I have - $70

Also picked up steering box for a mustang that has the pitman arm I will need (I think) $20
                    FE timing cover C8 date code $20
                    FE "power by ford" steel valve covers $10
                    351M/400 performer intake for a friends 77 highboy $40
                    Misc tools, magnet, door panel clip remover $20

and a huge bonus for the 69 mach1 - barely used ceramic coated tri-y headers for half the price of new for $400.

Comment

• sweet purchases, sounds like a profitable trip - did they come with an Easter basket?
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 9, 2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• No Easter baskets at the Swap meet -but Lee sure filled up his both Saturday and Sunday - now the contest will be rationing the candy.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          I truly appreciate all the input folks, you guys are helping more than you know.

I finally got around to pulling the timing cover, cam, lifters and oil pan off the Ranger engine last night..... it's a good thing I didn't just put this engine into the falcon and head for dragweek. As soon as I pulled the pan I saw that horrible site - metalflake - copper and chrome.

The initial start up with the oil galley plug below the intake manifold missing was enough to kill the main bearings. I pulled the caps and was so disgusted I called it a night before pulling pistons. Matt's 77 truck is going to have to wait a while longer for a powertrain transplant.
                          I'm in no hurry brother...
                          HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                          DW- 12,16,17
                          "Stay thirsty my friends"
                          The worlds most interesting man

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                            No Easter baskets at the Swap meet -but Lee sure filled up his both Saturday and Sunday - now the contest will be rationing the candy.
                            two for me, one for you....

Comment

• ^^^^ Indeed - I think I can feel a cancher sore starting already.

The truck is unloaded from the swap meet - the hood looks even better sitting on the car - it's straight from every angle.

I got the passenger side sub frame connector fit last night, weld tonight, sold the ranger splash bedliner for $50 finally, and figured out that the waste oil furnace blower motor issue is likely the temperature switch - not the fan motor or start capacitor. I fired the furnace and watched the temp switch rotate as the it warmed up - it turned the fan on at 150F as it should - but then turned it off.

Comment

• (shakes mouse, taps computer screen, kicks tower....)

Darn thing is acting up again - - can't see pictures.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X