No announcement yet.

57 Fairlane Sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to smash my finger in the log splitter - thankfully I only ended up with a bunch of stitches, no broken bones, no tendon or nerve damage, it could have been much worse. Between that and a pile of other things, I'm only gathering parts, not doing anything.

I did score a great deal on a pile of FE parts, two roller cams, one set of tie bar roller lifters, a 4779 holley, Nitrous plate kit solenoid lines and tank, a set of Comp roller rockers, shafts, stands, etc, and a set of JE .030 over pistons on stock 390 rods - one piston has some damage but I think it can be saved and used again.

I plan to map out the cams sitting in a pair of v-blocks to see what I have, one is an erson, the other I can't tell.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

see if the engine you have is usable, before getting too hung up on the transmission

If you can find a front sump 351W and transmission, that would be the way to get this thing on the road.

The car looks pretty nice in the pictures you posted, but they are not very detailed pictures. maybe if you spend half an hour and take a bunch of pics of the stuff that's important on the car, towards making it work, we could help more with advice?

Since you invoked the Edsel, I see a lot of time/money sucks in your plans so far. The Edsel brakes worked well. The Edsel has a 9" rear, like this car. You can change the gears in a 9" pretty easy, so overdrive is not really a necessity. My new Lincoln has a 460/C6/9" and I have no inclination, at all, to add overdrive to it...even though it's mission is to haul a trailer on the interstates.

new glass, weatherstripping, ac, disk brakes, overdrive, etc are highly overrated. The edsel was a fine road car without any of that crap. A comfy seat would have been nice.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim I appreciate your inclination to embrace the KISS principle, and I applaud that line of thinking a great deal.

With my 9 good fingers - I managed to get the 390 FE separated from the transmission it came with and got it bolted to an engine stand, I sprayed some penetrating oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes, and ran out of time.

Unfortunately - Ford did not generally follow the KISS principle, so I can only dream about options like taking a distributor out of a 305 and using it in a 454, or using the same transmission from a 352 or 390 with a 351 or 460, and that sucks.

I will have my transmission buddy look over the 3 speed cruise - o - matic (eventually became the FMX)
        1st 2.5
        2nd 1.5
        3rd 1.0
        I know he still builds FMX for the tugs at the airport - so I bet he has what he needs on the shelf to get it going again, most likely a stock replacement truck converter would work fine, I'm leaning heavily towards a comp 268 cam which is mild enough that it should work OK with a stock converter.

As long as I stick with a 3.0 ish ratio in the 9" (stock was 3.1, optional 3.56)
        - you're absolutely right Jim, like your Lincoln - this thing should make plenty of torque to do what I want it to do with a 3ish gear and no OD.
        Last edited by milner351; February 9, 2017, 10:34 AM.

Comment

What, this isn't running yet?
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

still sitting and may get sold.... adulting is not always fun.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
              .... adulting is not always fun.

Sooo very true! I am trying to give it up!
              A.K.A. Brian
              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

SOLD I didn't loose money, but I did loose out on this project for a while at least. Anyone need a 97 towncar for anything?

Good news is I FINALLY have the final approval from the building inspector on the barn addition - so I can get moving on all the stuff I want to do on the inside of the building now.
                I'm still trying to figure out how to clone myself, or quit sleeping.

Comment

quitting sleeping is easier and not as messy as cloning....
                  HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
                  DW- 12,16,17
                  "Stay thirsty my friends"
                  The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Working...
                  X