• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking food Frank
    1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
    1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

finally caught up on this...I agree with the bump steer correction kit like Squirrel said, and think that it is really looking great!
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm going to have to read this thread a few times.I just keep focusing on roll cage. All the fish mouths are perfect, everything fits perfect,the welds look perfect. Wow!
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Thanks guys!
          Frank
          --------
          64 Chevy II - Twin turbo 402 LS
          67 Chevy II Wagon - Project

Comment

Sorry, been slacking on the updates..

Finishing off the inside rear sections.

Had to take some time off the car to build me a coffee table ;) Been looking for something to do with this 502. lol

A little slice of Italy

Decided to do a gas door so I don't have to open the back to fill her up. While I was making dust I decided to do the bodywork on both quarters where I stretched them and get them back in epoxy. Finished up the bodywork on the roof, and door pillars also.

Frank
            --------

Comment

The side panels in the back I made removable so I can hide my battery and whatnots back there.

Started working on the dash. Finished around the front roll bar tubes, cut out filler panels for the factory heater controls and ash tray, and fit up the vintage air controls.

I tried to make this IQ3 look cool in the factory dash bezel, but I don't think I'm gonna roll with it like that. I plan to make an aluminum bezel and fit it in there a bit better.

Also got some little odd jobs done like window net mounts, safety harness tabs welded in, rear support for the passenger seat, and drive shaft loop made.

Frank
              --------

Comment

he's back, and with more excellent work... thanks for posting
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

X2 on SBG's note! Please keep 'em coming.

Dan

Comment

Yes, great work, great pics and descriptions too.

Comment

Thanks guys!
                      Frank
                      --------

Comment

Ohh, I think I might weld my driveshaft loop together now too!

Looks good!
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

hehe, so you noticed my re-purposed universal driveshaft loop. I had it laying around from a Camaro I had. Nice and low profile. Bevel the edges and melt her together!
                          Frank
                          --------

Comment

Frank - I put a mustang 2 in the front of my falcon - no where near your stratospheric build quality - but I learned a valuable lesson with bump steer.

You need to make sure your wheels don't turn in and out with suspension travel - it's easy to check visually on your hoist.

One way I checked it was to put a laser level against the wheel, or hub, then move the suspension up and down - the laser dot on the wall should travel up and down in a straight line. If the dot goes in and out while the suspension goes up and down, you have bump steer - and it's NOT FUN.

I nearly put my falcon in the ditch the first time I drove it, it jumped a lane over when applying the brakes and getting weight on the front to pitch the nose down.
                            I nearly had to change my shorts.

You know way more than I do about how to build a car - but I'd hate to see you over look this and have to tear things up later, like I do!

I hope to see you on drag week '15 - that is if we both get registered.

Inspiring work, you cut no corners! This is one of the most sanitary builds I've ever seen.
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep, bump steer don't matter at very low speeds but then that changes... The Mustang II suspension/steering was made for cars w/ tiny 13" wheels, leaving plenty of room for an engine oil pan over it, but with taller tires the engine has to go up, or back behind it, or the rack can be lowered if the outer tie rod pivot is lowered also one way or another. With the purple Challenger it was a combination...the motor is mounted high (which leaves the opportunity for a bigger oil pan but the valve covers barely clear the hood and the front-mount distributor had to be shortened) and the tie rod ends are low via GM spindles, that was enough to get things in line.

This wagon build, if anything, really inspires...to take time and do things nice. It really shows.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                                Frank - I put a mustang 2 in the front of my falcon - no where near your stratospheric build quality - but I learned a valuable lesson with bump steer.

You need to make sure your wheels don't turn in and out with suspension travel - it's easy to check visually on your hoist.

One way I checked it was to put a laser level against the wheel, or hub, then move the suspension up and down - the laser dot on the wall should travel up and down in a straight line. If the dot goes in and out while the suspension goes up and down, you have bump steer - and it's NOT FUN.

I nearly put my falcon in the ditch the first time I drove it, it jumped a lane over when applying the brakes and getting weight on the front to pitch the nose down.
                                I nearly had to change my shorts.

You know way more than I do about how to build a car - but I'd hate to see you over look this and have to tear things up later, like I do!

I hope to see you on drag week '15 - that is if we both get registered.

Inspiring work, you cut no corners! This is one of the most sanitary builds I've ever seen.
                                Thanks for the heads up man. I am definitely all over the bump steer issue. None of my suspension is actually on the car. It is just loosely mounted so I can mock things up. I'm using a QA1 bump steer kit to make up for me lowering the rack. It's a nice kit with a tapered bolt/stud setup to fit the steering knuckle perfect.

Trust me, with my copper car running 8.50's with a mustang II setup, and me wanting to do some pro-touring events. I had to learn to be well versed in bump steer, camber gain, etc. I can't wait to see how this wagon performs with the TCI kit. It is way nicer in all aspects than the Heidts on my copper car.

Your right though man, I hope we can get signed up this year! I missed being in 3rd place and having a guaranteed spot by a few tenths. Damn Shane/Crusty. hahaha.

Frank
                                Frank
                                --------

Comment

Working...
                                X