No announcement yet.

Jeep CJ7 Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, probably one of the many specialized Chineseium alloys. They seem to have a limitless array of unreliable metal formulations.

Dan

Comment

If it is chromed, it's got to be mujimars first attempt. I wanted the caps before it went to the sandblaster, so whatever it is.....it's going to look different soon.
      Last edited by STINEY; November 5, 2015, 07:45 AM.
      Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

SBG.......how do you do it?

We are tearing down an old wind damaged barn at work. Turns out the workbenches in it are two pieces of bowling alley 20'x5' in nice shape.

I was nominated to sell them, as I was the one most impressed by them, (need to brush up on my capacity for silence)

Buddy wants them for his shop, but balked at the price.

Tonight he calls and wants to trade a '70 Jeep pickup cab/chassis for the bowling alley pieces. The truck is complete, he wants to keep the dump bed and the snowplow and trade me the rest. Very rusty frame he says.

Guess those waggy axles just caught up with me?
        Last edited by STINEY; August 12, 2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

hmmm, I must be a prophet... though I never saw it coming.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Laid eyes on the pickup. Turns out it is a Gladiator with the Rhino grill. Cab is actually lots better than I expected, doors/interior/etc all fairly solid at first glance. By that I mean the doors don't drop 6" when opened, and the seat doesn't move and crunch when you sit in it. Has a nifty optional clock in the glovebox door. Shoot, it even don't smell bad inside!

Title is obtainable, vin plate is intact. Not sure it is worth the effort though. Could be just the thing someone needs though.

The drivetrain has been swapped. When they told me last week it had a chevy 6 in it, I just rolled my eyes and chalked it up. Guess what? It really is a 250 chevy I6, with what appears to maybe be a SM465 or SM420 at first glance, and definitely a Dana 20 transfer case. Story goes that the machine shop he bought it from 15 years ago put the 250 in it and just used it for a lot plow vehicle. Same thing afterwards, he just used it on the farm to plow snow and never went on the road with it.

Rear axle looks to maybe be a Dana 60?

Front seems to be a Dana 44 with closed knuckles - boo. Maybe that's not such a big deal, but the rock guys sure seem to snub the closed knuckle 44s as weak sauce. I am definitely not in need of rock crawler strength though.

Overall seems well worth dragging home. That Rhino grill is in real nice condition, other than being painted. Might be going up for sale?

Last edited by STINEY; August 17, 2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Cool truck...probably D60 & 44 w/ 30-spline each. Just know, truck axles are wider than Wagoneers by four or five inches, but still narrower than Chev/Ford pickups by a little.

Comment

Thanks Loren. Been trying to learn details on them, info is sketchy and sometimes contradictory. Need a Rhino grill for yours?

Think it was worth 2 sections of 20'x5' bowling alley?
                Last edited by STINEY; August 17, 2015, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Overall seems well worth dragging home. That Rhino grill is in real nice condition, other than being painted. Might be going up for sale?

Good score! 8 lug axles even!

If Loren doesn't want the Rhino grill my buddy Mike could use it. He's restoring his wife's FSJ, and needs all of the front stuff you have. He's got nothing right now..

Comment

I just fainted Tardis.

My first Jeep was a '70 Wagoneer (actually a '68 first titled in '70) I have already been having flashbacks from sitting in the Gladiator cab with that awesome dashboard.

See it in the background - primer gray rockers and all.

I'll keep you posted.
                    Last edited by STINEY; August 18, 2015, 07:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                      I just fainted Tardis.

My first Jeep was a '70 Wagoneer (actually a '68 first titled in '70) I have already been having flashbacks from sitting in the Gladiator cab with that awesome dashboard.

I'll keep you posted.
                      Cool, I just sent you a text. Mike needs the stuff I circled in the photo I sent. He's been looking for that stuff for a while.

Oh and that Wagoneers getting an AMC 401 TH400 drivetrain. It's gonna rock man!
                      Last edited by tardis454; August 18, 2015, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Worth the trade, definitely.

I've got a couple of those grilles around, yeah send it along to someone who needs one more...

Comment

• Loren has spares? who knew

Comment

• Google-Earth my back yard, if you don't believe it...

Comment

• I'm glad you're doing this resurrection, but this is why I question your sanity

the guy is asking $975 and will take offers - I'm tempted to offer him $500 - take it or leave it because it's be a fun toy for the friends who want to go 4x4ing with me but don't have a rig.... it's Buick powered, too, which helps over come the problem (that it's a Heep).

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                I'm glad you're doing this resurrection, but this is why I question your sanity

the guy is asking $975 and will take offers - I'm tempted to offer him $500 - take it or leave it because it's be a fun toy for the friends who want to go 4x4ing with me but don't have a rig.... it's Buick powered, too, which helps over come the problem (that it's a Heep).
                                shipping costs WHAT?

I'd look at that one. I was eyeballing a couple down here today and they're nowhere near that price for the condition (higher).
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X