where'd this come from? 93 S15 Jimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where'd this come from? 93 S15 Jimmy

remember the celebrity wagon i was looking at a wile back?

well i sort of accidentally on purpose ended up with this instead

it;s a 1993 GMC S15 Jimmy 4x4. 98,000 miles pretty decently optioned and it was practicly free!!! $800... do to it running like crap. no stalling and when it;s moving it's fine it just idles so rough and the idle occasionally jumps up way high. going to check out the IAC and clean the passages and the EGR. it does have the weird speeder fool injection though so oen fo the nylon lines or poppets could be leaking in the manifold sense at speed it fine

ahh the only engine that can run rich with a fuel leak lol

but there is very little rust i can not remember the last one i saw before this with rockers still on the truck and the interior is mint an older man owned it and said no one ever sat in the back seat let alone opened the doors with how well they shut i believe this.

few things i need to look into after getting it idling better. in order of importance

temp gauge and temp sender are not getting s signal (may have something to do with rough running and check engine light)

driver side window randomly stops working up or down i suspect it's the switch

rear window and tail gate do not seem to lock. can open them with out the key and does not seem to be a way to lock them with said key. needs more looking into.... like a services manual

heater vents seem to be stuck on dash vent and floor. may be a vacuum leak. may be related to the rough running

passenger front speaker is deader then dead and the rest don;t sound much better. look in to new speakers.... may be a year or so before this get's important
    Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
    Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

that's no rust? dang

cool, though, I drove one of those through my entire law school career and it never let me down

which there is a funny ending to that

I sold it to a wrecking yard with the express "you really need to part this out" instruction

So he sold it intact

And a few weeks later (mind you, I'm living in Seattle and the Blazer was in Portland) I'm near my parent's house and I see a Blazer... my thoughts, in this order

"hey, there's my old Blazer"

"hey look, it's pulling off the side of the road with smoke coming out from under it"

"hahahahahaha"
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

my exact words where "very little rust" and the rockers are still there. which they are. bottom the doors and fenders eh if it was a different color it would be very hard to even see it. the lack of clear coat does not help but it is a 93 when the automakers where experimenting with water colors

and for a 21 year old michigan truck it;s impressive. it has less rust then my 2003 silverado 2500hd and 2005 taurus that was from california and never saw a michigan winter till we bought it 3 years ago.... i actually feel bad for the taurus
      Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

productive day

fist things first the last person to really work on this truck was well.... to put it nicely and idiot.

first thing i did was get access to the EGR and temp sensor when i took off the intake elbow it was full of what smelled like diesel and the air temp sensor was just covered and full of it. the elbow was also looked like it was also torn up like it was pried at with a screw driver. got a new one ordered.

i then cleaned the throttle body and blades and took the idle air control valve out it was just covered in carbon and looked like it was jamming up the idle passage did not look much better.

at this point i just went and started the truck to see what it would do. it started easier now and will catch it's self quicker but the idle is still uneven and jumping around

at this point i unplugged the coolant sensor and put my ohm meter on it and it;s has an internal open. so no signal to the gauge and no signal to the computer.so need to add one of those to the parts list

then i went to replace the plug wires and not a single one matches one even had a date on it form 1989 (the truck is a 93) so yeah that needs to be done soon i looked at the driver side and decided to mess with it another day as GM decided to have the steering shaft run right next to the #3 and #5 plugs.... yay

one cool thing i found out it has an oil cooler/oil filter relocation to the front driver side. this is sort of uncommon not really rare but unusual

i then ended the day with hooking up my fuel pressure gauge to it. 60psi with key on and no pressure drop so no internal fuel leaks so the speeder fool injunktion seems to be ok-ish any way. at least the poppet valves and nylon hose is not leaking. i left it hooked up and sit and will check it in the morning to see if there is a small slow leak

on the table for tomorrow

check the fuel pressure to see if it dropped

get radiator cap

change at least plug wires and the first 4 spark plugs

remove and clean EGR and EGR ports. possibly order a new one

actually read the engine code (look up what pins needs to be jumped on the link connector want to say it;s B and D but can;t remeber)

Comment

no v8?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Naah..Mater is a sixer fan....;))

Comment

if i want to drive a v8 i'll drive my 03 silverado with a 6.0L LQ4

Comment

4.3 is a good mill. I think the boats did a real TPI if that spider thing is fubar. Or a carb... Interior looks good!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

dude the interior is mint LOL

found out why the lights will not turn on when the door is opened. the driver side plunger switch thing is messed up and corded. the other doors turn on the interior lights

also it has 2 sun visors... 2 the main one can flip down then be moved tot he side and have the sun shade extended then if you turn a corner instead of swinging it back over there is a second one you can just flip down that is slightly smaller. it's genus why do car makers not do this any more

any one know where the balls the fuse box is located on these things? for the life of me i can not find it and the owners manual does not say where it is just what fuses does what.

also a vacuum diagram would be handy the rad support on the jimmy was replaced with a junk yard one in 94 with one from a black 2.8L truck

Comment

Every Chevy I had was on the driver side tucked up under the dash but I can't remember where it was on my S10... good gawd, it really has been 25 years since I had it. See if it's up there on a hinge where you can pull it down for service. If not, check under the hood?

They did the same with the visors on my Lightning.. pretty handy sometimes.

I don't know if the '93 is the same as a '98 but I have a 4.3 spider-efi S10 at the farm, I can check on it next week if that would work. Did you see these?

car repair blog, car parts replacement, automobile repair videos, auto parts, auto repair blog
                    Last edited by Beagle; April 17, 2014, 08:50 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

i think the 98 is the second gen spider so it would be too different. but still look any way never know

and found it it was driver side by the ebrake under a dress panel

Comment

made a discovery. truck runs and idles perfect in 30*F weather as i moved it into the garage and ran perfectly fine. my eyes burn from the how rich it;s running though jesus

going to take a week for the garage to air out lol

also here is the mighty beast (have the intake tube off because it was destroyed by diesel fuel) also i think the intake air temp sensor is fubared

from what i can see through the throttle blade looks ok though might be fuel wash though

also the factory rad cab is so rusted it was not opening up to the purge tank. surprised it did nto blow a line

Last edited by Mater; April 19, 2014, 12:05 AM.

Comment

removed and cleaned the EGR wile not the issue it would of caused problems soon as it was carbonned up pretty good.

so looks like i will have to remove the plenum after all. this will give me a chance to look at all the vacuum lines at least.

Comment

finished changing the plug wires (#3 and #5 are a right pain in the bum) and noticed at least one reason it ran so poorly it was a 5 cylinder. some mouse decided to have an all you can eat buffet on plug wire #5

i have no idea how i am going to change the plugs though i might actually just pay some one to do it just so i don;t have to mess with number 3

you can really tell the S10 was not originally designed to house the 4.3 but the 2.8 engine family do to just how tight the 4.3 sits in there

Comment

well i have no idea at this point got the intake off and looks liek it was already gotten into at one point had a new plenum gasket

if any thing cyl 1 looks like it might have been leaking? i know it;s getting gas into oil as it smells and is over a quart on the dipstick and there are puddles in the intake that smell of gas but where is it coming form???

the spider the fuel lines and bad poppet?

here is what it looks like under the plenum

the passenger side looks cleaner but it;s dirty over the vacuum port on the regulator so that not failed

Comment

Working...
                              X