The War Wagon... decaring wars on the grocery store since 1966

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post

I dont want to flood my garage. I attempted to build a catch pan using wood and a tarp, but it leaked all over....

the grungyness isnt nearly as bad as I thought it be. its just a bit greasy.
    I used mine in the garage. Used the push broom to shove the water out of the garage. I have gravel right outside the door so getting the truck pushed out and back in is pain working alone. I would also have to turn it 90* so not to block the alley.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Shelty View Post
      In addition to the wagon getting some minor improvements, the Mustang got an upgrade too. After some spirited driving last summer, I discovered that brake fade happens in that car fast, which is scary. factory the car came with 12.5 inch rotors up front with 2 piston calipers. I was going to simply upgrade to some better rotors and pads, until I found a guy in the next town over selling factory 14 inch 4-piston Brembos (standard on the 07-12 GT500s) for a price that was only a bit more than better pads and all new rotors would have cost me. New the kit costs almost 1200 bucks, I got these with a set of replacement rear brakes for only 700 bucks. they maybe had 10,000 miles on them and aside from being dusty were perfect. The V6, GT and GT500 all shared the same 11.5 inch single pot rotors in the rear. I got them put on over the weekend and bled and this car will stop on a dime now.

I included a pic of my mustang, which is a 2005 GT with the 5speed. One year only Mineral Grey Metallic of which a handful were painted. She has only a few powertrain modifications, but most of the money is in the suspension, rims/tires and these brakes. Im the 2nd owner of the car and she only has shy of 80,000 miles

You stole that brake system! Ive been looking for the same kind of deal for my 05 Saleen! Everyone that i have seen is trying to get new asking price for used parts
      CHECK US OUT AT:
      www.ridetech.com

Comment

• I scrub stuff up with biodegradable cleaner first and only use the Easy-Off on otherwise permanently stuck crap. The Mercedes Diesel had some sort of German crud that was uncleanable. I scraped all I could, did the safer cleaner, then after sitting a day or so hit it with the Easy-Off. It got the crap off when rinsed with the pressure washer. I then washed the driveway with LOTS of water and Dawn soap - seemed like the best I could do. No cats died so I guess it was OK. Yes, wear GOOD PPE.

Dan

Comment

• Easy-off works wonders (the name brand stuff anyhow, the discount knock-off junk is worthless)

Nowadays I take the time to load my junk up and drag it to work with me. Spend lunch-hour running the HotWater pressure washer - which now has Purple Power feeding it from a 55 gal barrel - and I spend the afternoon speckled yet happy. Unload junk at home, done.

Can't emphasize enough the power of really hot water under pressure. Self-dries in minutes too.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I like that simple green is "safe" but after it washes off all that oil and grease I sure it's not simple or green any longer. I do try to throw the scrapings in the trash.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• On my GMC, I first took the putty knife to the caked on grease on the frame and crossmember. I had an old box under the truck to catch that chunky grease. Once the heavy, goopy stuff was mostly off. I pulled the box and did another hose down with Simple Green with high pressure washer.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Simple Green is some kick ass stuff, I also like Super Clean too. Avoid non-ultra Dawn, that stuff will leave you feeling hollow and disappointed.
                Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

• Thanks for the tips guys. I took a paint scraper and that got most of the built up stuff off of the crossmember and frame rails. didnt get much done this week as I worked the late shift, so I wasnt getting all grungy then have to worry about getting cleaned up for work. I did go out and spray down the stuff I couldnt get at with simple green and gunk every day. went out there today and was able to scrub most of it off. I had soaked the power steering bracket in a simple green bath and after a quick scrub, it took most of the old paint off which was good since I was repainting all the brackets anyway.
                  Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Your commander gets mad when yiu show up with greagy hands?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Nowadays I take the time to load my junk up and drag it to work with me. Spend lunch-hour running the HotWater pressure washer - which now has Purple Power feeding it from a 55 gal barrel - and I spend the afternoon speckled yet happy. Unload junk at home, done.

Can't emphasize enough the power of really hot water under pressure. Self-dries in minutes too.
                      Purple power and a pressure washer go a long long ways. I wish I had hot water!
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• yeah the bosses dont like it when I come in looking like i dipped my hand in an oil vat.... I can get the grunk off my skin, but under my fingernails are totally black.

after a good few days of scrubbing with simple green, a wire brush, gunk, some brake clean and lots of of those blue paper towels and cheap shop rags, I got the engine bay clean enough to paint. I painted the crossmember and front frame chassis black.
                        '
                        then due to working lates, a good amount of overtime and night shift, the car languished for a week.

yesterday got the balancer on and the plate for the fuel pump/pushrod installed.

Today I got a few things buttoned up, got the flexplate on and finally dropped the motor into the car.

new torque converter. rated for a 2000 stall, however im sure it will stall higher due to the weight of the car.

engine on the stand

going in

getting it mated to the transmission

finally in the car!

heavy lifting is done finally. did the smart thing and put the driver side header in the car before putting the motor in. the passenger side fits in without issue, just the driver side the steering box is in the way unless you jack up the engine.

I need to order a new starter, as the old one was for a 157 tooth flexplate, and I bought a 168 tooth, not realizing it.... the old starter was old, big and heavy so its no big deal. (the flexplate was purchased months ago, so I couldnt return it anymore... whoops.) I have the starter for the next project when I rebuild the old engine one day.,...

Last edited by Shelty; September 16, 2015, 12:04 AM.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• You're going to have to pull that converter out again. The color doesn't match your "theme" of gold and black.

Just harassing you, of course. Great progress.

Dan

Comment

• lol thanks, once I get the inspection cover on.... well once I buy one lol, no one will see it.

Comment

• Yes, that engine looks better in Chevy orange.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• thanks. It will look somewhat period correct, tho a Chevy guy will notice those center bolt valve covers lol.

put the old throttle linkage together to make sure it works and it does, so I dont need to mess with that. I do need to hit up Bowtie Overdrives for their TV cable kit again, the old spreadbore kit I have from the Qjet wont work.

did a few more small installs today, motor mount bolt, most of the bellhousing bolts, crank pulley, and I ran into a snag, the stock Power Steering bracket wont fit with the 8 inch balancer. so I need to search the interwebs for a solution or I need to get out the death wheel and notch this one to fit. this particular bracket is made of two parts, the top bracket, which bolts up with the motor mount, and the lower bracket, which bolts to the two holes on the front of the motor on the driver side of the block. the top bracket is on just fine, but the lower bracket wont fit without hitting the balancer....

this is the way the brackets are. not my car, and my PS pump looks different, but it bolts on the same. if I try to bolt it on, it his the balancer....

Comment

Working...
                                X