Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
    LOL! No, no, never corssed mine either...nope, not me, not once...I am a rock....
    you're good man, Joe.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• more practice, I also lettered the name Jason (my youngest) gave to the car. He got a kick out of that.

Last edited by JOES66FURY; April 19, 2014, 09:03 AM.
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Alright, got up and dusted the car off and headed over to a local church fundraiser car show. I got there but the registration fee was 25 bucks and there were only about 8 cars total. So I parked around the corner, checked out a few cars and when I went to leave it would not crank over. I got a jump and brought it home. Everything checks out, the right voltage at the right places at the right times. But the batter just is not charging. Now normally I would have went and got another batter but that would have been the 4th or maybe 5th battery since owning the car for 8 years and only 4 of those was it on the road. No, something stinks and it ain't my pits. I went and got a new alternator, 40 bucks out the door. Brought it home, installed and fixed some suspect wiring while I was in there. Now things are a little different. The voltmeter is showing high voltage, the battery seems to be charging and hopefully all is right with the world.

Another interesting observation. I had a 3 inch high air filter in it for, well, forever. I wanted a taller one, simply cuz I think it looks cooler. 7 bucks later and the flip of a wing nut a 4 inch tall filter is in. The car runs better, throttle response is crisper and the idle is smoother. Now someone is gonna say it is simply because the air cleaner is new. To you I say nay and scoff at your opinion because the 3" filter has only been in it since I got it running a few weeks back...

Any way, The car is fun, lots of fun. It makes people smile...it makes me smile. The engine is smooth and the torque it makes is sweet, it just pulls and pulls. Certainly no highway cruiser with the 3spd auto but for around town its a hoot. There is a bit of a wiggle at speeds up above 55, nothing to make one shit his pants but enough to make me want to get it up on a lift and check out the front end then get it to the alignment shop.

I was gonna get some tin, rivets and fiberglass today but I opted out. I'll wait for the real thing.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Looking good. Can't wait til you put some real quarters on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
            Everything checks out, the right voltage at the right places at the right times. But the batter just is not charging.
            Did you measure the voltage between the battery + post and the alternator output terminal? If there's a wiring issue in that circuit, such as a malfunctioning ammeter (common on 60s Mopars), there will be some voltage across them. There should be less than one volt drop.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• a 10 gauge wire straight to the battery may solve your charging issues. Also, if you have tiny battery cables, or one that gets hot from the exhaust, move up and move it away. Get a bigger gauge and get it away from the exhaust heat.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I eliminated the ammeter years ago thinking that was an issue. It wasn't. The voltage differential across those points was about 2v I don't know how accurate my meter is so, it could be greater. I did reroute and replace the positive battery cable as well as the ground. Also cleaned and replaced other grounds. One of the two alt leads were pretty corroded so I redid that as well. It used to drain the battery just sitting over night. I got up this morning and it was still cranking strong so one of the above items or a combo of all sends to have fixed my issue

Comment

• Wellm I've not done much in the way of maintenace since last weekend. the alternator change was long over due. I shoulda done it years ago. The car runs sweet. rides okay and handles like a land yacht should..listing deeply into turns, wallowing down the street like a mini Queen Mary. I have been making a list of little things that are bugging me. It has developed a power steering leak but I cant seem to pin point its ecxact location, it is misting oil out from the valve covers and the voltage gauge works intermittenly. I also need to change the oil and drain some of the water from the radiator and refill with some antifreeze. The big to-do is the brakes. That job will be fairly inexpensive and should only kill an afternoon but there were many different sized drums availible so I need to pull them and measure. I want to convert to a dual rez master cyl. but that will be a little later when I can take some time off work to bend the lines and make sure its right.

Comment

• how hard is a front disc conversion? I'd do that when swapping to the dual master cylinder.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• conversion is not hard at all realy it's the cost and parts that are the problem. A conversion kit in multiple forms exsists from different manufacturers but they are around a grand. I could swap over any late model c-body spindles, tubes, calipers, rotors and master but finding a car that I can part is near impossible. Most of the cars I've seen for sale are either too nice or too expensive. I'm not worried about the drums as much as the single res. If that fails then youre hosed. I would like to convert but really the drums worked fine for over 50 years, they stop as well and the disk/drum set up in my 2000 Ram. I am the only one that will ever drive it until it goes on to its next caretaker so I'm not as focused on that as I am the mater cylinder swap. And once I get it plumbed for the duel master, if some post 72 c-body parts land in my lap its a few hours of work to finish the job.

Comment

• The Impala's original drums worked fine on the surface streets up to 50 mph. It was the california freeway driving when I had to hammer the brakes that it became no fun. Freeways there went from 70 to 20 mph constantly.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I hear ya, it will happen, just not high on the to-do list right now simply due to cost and parts. I did drive it again today and its running well. I decided to swing by the house between my Dr's appt and lunch to hit it with a timing light. I've been bumping the timing up a bit every so often to find what it likes. I set it to 35btdc and that seems to be the sweet spot. It's real snappy, and the part throttle bog is all but gone. I've also been leaning out the mixture a 1/4 turn at a time and its seems to be improving how it runs. I also think I found the reason it was shutting off on me from time to time....It helps if your coil wires arent as loose as a 2 dollar whore. We will see if that fixed the issue.

Comment

• If you're looking for a disc brake kit cheap check this out . https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=101
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I see they make a set for C bodys, 165 a pop....not too bad I guess...deff an option, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• That's a really nice system. When you can afford it I'd say that's the way to go.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X