No announcement yet.

Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of the metal on this thing is pretty stout 18ish if I were to guess but...I'm not talking about metal to patch...I'm talking about practice metal.

A lot of the metal going on the car is stuff I cut off another so gauge is gonna be the same save for a few patches here and there. I've got some 18 and 20 g for that I picked up for that purpose. although, I am hesitant to actually put a weld on the outside just yet...gonna be a while...I picked up some butt weld clamps, some big vice grips, magnets and other odds and ends..I hate it when I have to buy new tools..he says sarcastically.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Not the greatest pics (which is fine you can't make fun of the terrible welds)

I tacked it up a few weeks back but had to cut it off because the alighnment was off about 1/16 of an inch on the front side which put it off about 1 inch on the rear. Then I ran out of gas, got the tank filled and the regulator failed and ran out of gas again...But most of this side is done.

I have no picture of the inside at the moment but rest assured there is nothing there...nothing. I will have to make trunk floor extensions. and part of the trunk floor. Also have to make some sort of outer extension for the 1/4 where it goes behind the bumper. I have spare metal and I have a plan. It may not be OE but it should work okay.

I also have to make a small piece for the bottom of the 1/4 panle forward of the wheel well.

It aint pretty guys, not at all but I cannot tell you how good it feels to see metal where there was nothing but bondo, windo screen and chicken wire.

For the other side I am not going to be as adventurous. I am going to PATCH the other side.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• What pressure are you running out the guage?
        Non windy conditions, you can go as low as 12#. 15# to be safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          What pressure are you running out the guage?
          Non windy conditions, you can go as low as 12#. 15# to be safe

In my garage I seem to get the best burn with 20. The regulator was leaking and I did not notice it, the adjustment knob was bad...

Comment

• Just a reminder of what was..er uh...wasnt there before...

Comment

• Trick is running enough gas to shield the weld.. Welding supply told me 24#, I gound 18# worked good outside.. I do hold sheets of tin, plywood when the kid welds to help shield Also you can use your glove. Gets hot tho..
              Main thing, no SWISS CHEESE..
              All equipment is different.. We use a Lincoln..

Comment

• An update on no-ones favorite shitbox...

Comment

• And I thought you said you where not a body man. Loops great! I bet it added 10 horse power
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

• Lookit the bondo dust in the rim...
                    Getting there!

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      And I thought you said you where not a body man. Loops great! I bet it added 10 horse power

Thanks! I may not have added horsepower but...it may be a little quicker simple because there are no giant holes creating additional aero drag LOL!

Still have quite a bit of work to do. The lower portion near the rockers need some love, I need to fab a extension to take the metal back under the rear bumper. I patched the trunk floor extension and need to install that as well as the trunk floor.

Once done with the drivers side it is on to the passenger side. My boy has been removing the bondo and fiberglass patches the PO did on that side. That process is proving to be a paint in the ass.

Not gonna lie, I am pretty stoked at how this part turned out. I am not going to be quite as adventurous on the passenger side. I am going to cut and patch that side. I will not be replacing a whole skin again. Too much of a pain in the ass and too great a possibility for error.

Comment

• Looking good Joe! Thanks for taking us along for the ride......this thread has been great to follow. Lots of win.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I like this one on so many levels. Keep up the determined work, you are doing great!

Comment

• Believe it or not, I look forward to seeing posts on your shit box. I can relate even though i always don't comment.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Morale booster alert:

Now do the other side! !

Comment

• Hey I'm internet famous!

We started stripping the pass side. Even though there is more metal work to do on the drivers. It was a task my boy could do while I am at work and he is sitting around doing nothing during summer vacation.

It is a sight to behold...I'll post up some pics over the next few days...truly glorious!

Thanks for the positive words guys, it helps keep me going.

Comment

Working...
                                X