No announcement yet.

Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have one that goes on an air chisel that you can borrow if you want though that means you'll need an air chisel and a compressor. PM me if interested - I haven't used it in years.

Dan

Comment

• Thanks Dan, I appreciate the offer but I ended up purchasing one. It works great once you set the line pressure properly (story for another day)

I played around with some scrap and found a few things I was doing wrong.

first and foremost, my tip angle was all sorts of wrong. 5 to 15 degreese...not 45

Secondly - The welds looked okay but according to the charts I am referencing on the Miller web site I have a lack of shielding gas

Which brings us to the third issue which is....add 1 and 2 together and realize that both problems are from a single technique issue.

I feel confident that the settings are good at this point, I have little to no blow through and the heat and weld penetration look okay if I compare them to the charts so...

I plan to cut some more blanks to practice with and in a few weeks I will attempt to burn some metal onto the car

I tried to find a class localy but there is nothing availible however I did find a place in Phoenix that offers basic MIG classes on Saturdays. The schedule for April is not out yet so I'll have to wait...the classes this month are full or somehow interfere with something else I have to do.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
        Joe has gone full Leatherface on the Plymouth, and the rest of you have gone back to 9th grade. Gotcha.

The voice of a parent has spoken.... though, it's kind of weird, my parents do not look like sasquatch. So Bryan, when are the little squatches due?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Joe - no blank looks allowed - when was the last time you took the cup off and cleaned the nozzle?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            Joe - no blank looks allowed - when was the last time you took the cup off and cleaned the nozzle?

After every few passes. I keep it pretty clean. I did notice that when I was making tacks on a sheet of metal they looked great but when I actually tried to fit two pieces together it looked like ass. So, I sit back, think and read some welding related literature...and then it kinda donned on me...I had the nozzle at differend angles...By the time I figured it out ot was getting late and I had to clean up but....I am getting there...I need to find more scrap to play with.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

The voice of a parent has spoken.... though, it's kind of weird, my parents do not look like sasquatch. So Bryan, when are the little squatches due?

Aw Gee Wiz.....they started it.....
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Jumped the gun by more than a little bit, SBG. No worries...for now.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• I'm not sure if he denied being an adult or mini-squatches...

Comment

• Why not both?
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

After every few passes. I keep it pretty clean. I did notice that when I was making tacks on a sheet of metal they looked great but when I actually tried to fit two pieces together it looked like ass. So, I sit back, think and read some welding related literature...and then it kinda donned on me...I had the nozzle at differend angles...By the time I figured it out ot was getting late and I had to clean up but....I am getting there...I need to find more scrap to play with.
                      I was thinking about that and curious what they want for a big old hood at the boneyard? Something like a 70's Monte Carlo with a similar line down the middle to what you have for a body line. I mean, if you hate it, you could always just cut it back off and do it again. Metal is a lot more forgiving than wood.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

I was thinking about that and curious what they want for a big old hood at the boneyard? Something like a 70's Monte Carlo with a similar line down the middle to what you have for a body line. I mean, if you hate it, you could always just cut it back off and do it again. Metal is a lot more forgiving than wood.

I know a guy and I could get scrap pretty cheaply but I have a spare door. Its rotted and not usable for the car I plan on using part of it for the 1/4 panel to fill in a gap for one of the beauty lines. but the rest of the door is fair game. The issue is having to clean up all the paint and undercoating, what a pain in the ass. I may just go buy a couple sheets of 20 or 22g and cut strips out simply because my time is valuable and I dont want to spend it stripping shit off metal if I dont really have to.

Comment

• Most auto paint stores will have body gage sheet metal for sale and it's fairly cheap - worth a trip there to check.

Dan

Comment

• A sheet (4x8' or 10') of 18 ga electro-galv (flat grey color) hot-roll steel doesn't need cleaning, won't rust, shears w/ tin snips although it's the thickest you'd wanna normally cut that way, forms with boards and hammers, mig-welds, is all you would ever need and should be around $75. Grind it good where you wanna bondo and use etching primer in the spray can. 20ga is easier to work with but the thinnest you'd wanna go for cars, where original is usually 19. 19 you can't get on store shelves, so either one up or one down is OK.

Edit: By store shelf I mean metal supply/service center.
                            Last edited by Loren; March 14, 2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• 20 works ok for floors and other inner panels, I usually use 22 for outside panels. Old chevys had 19 for the inner panels, 21 for the outer panels, from what I can tell.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Handy '64 Chevelle front fender outer skin, round-anvil mic, .041"/19ga. Inner panel (in this case) at hood opening is thicker 18 (.047"). Maybe personal preference but as far has how thin you can go, I'd hold the line at 20. I don't know of any OEM body parts lighter than that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06969.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1149799

Comment

Working...
                                X