Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    If your carb has any bigger squirter than a 35, then the problem isn't the squirter. Don't spend money on a 50cc accel pump. Just get a pump cam kit. Get rid of the tiny red one, most carbs come with. Put an orange or a dark green one in. Next, readjust the pump arm. Take out the slack in the arm to the cam, then make one turn farther, making the screw spring taller. Check squirter actually squirts at the slightest movement of the linkage.
    I've done all that...been over it a number of times, messed with different cams, squirters, and pump adjustments. I bet I've played with 30 different combos...I feel I found a good set up but I still have a just a little lag but I certainly can live with it...

I was tinkering last night and found 2 things. First the throttle was not going WOT. Second the throttle was not going all the way back to idle. I added some stiffer springs to the return and made a few mods to the throttle linkage to allow it to go WOT.

I took it for a few trips around my "test track" last night and it feels much better. I was able to get it to idle lower than 1000 RPM which was (I believe) part of the problem. now I idle around 600 and the throttle is much crisper and there is just the slightest bit of lag at part throttle to full throttle so I am going to play with the spring rate. I was also getting a lean pop from time to time so I richened up the mixture just a hair and it eliminated that.

Overall I am pleased and I'm gonna leave it as is for now and enjoy it for a few weeks....I've got to get the D100 on the road so I can sell the Mustang.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• What is your initial timing at idle.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
        What is your initial timing at idle.
        18/20 advance and about 35 at 2500.....I've played with timing a lot. Seems the 383 loves a few things that most engines in this cubic inch range don't like lots of timing and lots of air/fuel. The standard is 5 but it will run like crap. I've gone up in 5 degree increments over the years and found that 18 to 20 makes it real happy. Someone mentioned swapping springs in the dizzy but I've not messed with that yet

I am going to have to check it and adjust now tho because the damn thing will idle where it is supposed to....
        Last edited by JOES66FURY; May 24, 2016, 11:58 AM.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• That is awesome Joe, the video you posted reminded me of driving my dad's 64. Great to see you have it out and about, doing the fun stuff again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
            That is awesome Joe, the video you posted reminded me of driving my dad's 64. Great to see you have it out and about, doing the fun stuff again.
            Thanks man. It aint pretty but it is fun.

I played with the timing a bit last night. It was right at 18 and I bumped it up to 20. Not a whole lot of difference there but I left it as is. Also, I think I have a bad ground or something. When I hit the brakes it causes the tach needle to jump up and when I release it comes back down. I'll mess with that this evening I think.

Comment

• Well, I've put about 300 miles on the car in the last week or so. That is about 5 times what I put on it in 3 years combined. It's been running well and besides the stupid tach not reading correctly it's really fun to drive.

The boy and I went to a small show last Wed and then he and I went for a evening cruise. We got onto the highway and rolled along at 75 just fine...except....I've got a weird resonance and vibration coming from under the car. The steering wheel does not shake like a front end issue....the whole car kind of vibrates and makes this weird hum that sounds kinds has this Doppler affect thing....up and down...and the car vibrates...but does not shake....and it is worse at speeds about...say 50....and I can feel it in my ass not my hands....

I am fairly certain it is the u-joints so I plan to swap those out soon. The only issue there is I have to drop the shaft and pull the joints to verify size. There are about 5 different joints available and no one seems to know exactly which were which.....Not a big deal but...I like to have parts in hand before I tear things apart...keeping it running is very important to the longevity and my interest level in this project.....

Comment

• Glad you are getting a chance to enjoy it.

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                I like to have parts in hand before I tear things apart...keeping it running is very important to the longevity and my interest level in this project.....
                One of my goals I try to keep top of mind as I work on stuff. I've spent way too many years with stuff in pieces. Gotta keep em on the road.
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Years with stuff in pieces... Oh yes, I know this very well. Once it's running I keep it running until it dies or becomes too far gone to keep going, then it gets torn down again. Too bad you're so far away, it would be fun to cruise with you and my dad's 64, and one of mine.

Comment

• Since a picture is worth a thousand words consider the following a four thousand word essay on the status of Joe's old Mopar.

I got some patches done to the wheel well but I refuse to post pictures of it because they look like shit.

I figure they are solid, they did not break with a good 2 or 3 whacks with a hammer AND they are going to be invisible to anyone unless you have x-ray vision.

Time is limited, busy as hell since I retired and I can only eek in time here and there. This saturday was the first time I had a whole day to dive in and....dive in I did.

Comment

• woo-hoo!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Oh heck yeah! You definitely dove in, aimed right for the deep end too.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• dayum, I've heard of weight reduction but this is a bit extreme.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Gonna win these back road duels now!

Comment

• Good start! That's how you learn this stuff (if you're me. I guess some folks go to trade school.....).

Dan

Comment

• Go Joe Go!!
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X