Project Tetanus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Tetanus

I can’t load any of my old threads so I am starting a new one. For those unfamiliar with this pile o' rust, it is a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury. I picked the car up for 2,500 bucks sometime around 2006; I loved the body style and had to have it. It has spent most of its time sitting because, as I peeled back the layers of this onion I found more and more things that needed fixed and it became a source of stress rather than something I loved. I've done a number of things to it off and on over the years but nothing that has improved the overall condition of the car. I had parked it a while back because it was running rough and I just didn’t have the inclination to find out why. After 2 years I decided to get it running again and found that the Pertronix unit fueling the spark for the old Mallory distributor up and died. I decided to convert the car to a early Mopar electronic ignition system. I found a wire harness buried in my parts stash and purchased a ICU from O'rileys for 23 dollars. I then picked up a new distributor from AutoZone and a cap and rotor set to the tune of 75 bucks. So, at this point I saved about 100 bucks by buying the way I did instead of purchasing a whole kit from any vendor online. That is where I am today. I wanted to start in on it last night but my daughter was mad that I was going to work on it without her. So, when she comes over Friday afternoon (wife and I split the kids 50/50, they come over Friday and leave on Friday) we will start on it. I want to get it running by Sunday afternoon but, Murphy is ever present so who knows. But we are gonna try our best.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; March 20, 2014, 08:31 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Great to hear you're going to get back after the old mope - even better your daughter wants to be involved.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good luck Joe!
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

I know they are there but for some reason they wont open on my computers...weird.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Great that you're back at it. I'm hoping that as you have some successes the old passion will be rekindled. I REALLY wish I lived closer as I'd love to work with you to get the body back in more or less one piece. Welding in some patch panels would make a world of difference.

On the threads - you might try sending VMark a note and see if he can get it to work for you.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, Jim has offered to help patch her up too but it needs to be mobile for that to happen. Bryan (Remy) helped move it along a bit by tossing some used tires and wheels my way, The body isnt near as bad as some of the projects that have popped up on here over the last few years so that gives me some hope that I can, at the very least, make it look somewhat presentable, My daughter really wants to start weling on it too, shes been taking welding in school and has been bugging me to get to it. I get a heft raise next month so I may spring for the tank I need to get busy patching holes. I'm starting to get a little excited about it again. Thats a good thing.

Comment

It is ALWAYS NICE when the kids share your interests.. Both son AND daughter derby.. We split the chores among us.. Have fun! Keep the temper off, understand she has her way! Even if you want it one way, she might have a teacher tell her different, while not wrong per se, compromise!

Comment

I think it is cool that your daughter was mad you would work on it with out her there. A very good sign.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I know it looks like one big mess but if you consistently tackle one problem at a time you will eventually get somewhere. Don't let it sit around for 20 years rotting as yard art. Good Luck Making it a family participation project will help morale and progress pace.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

It's nicer than the one I found at the junkyard.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      It is ALWAYS NICE when the kids share your interests.. Both son AND daughter derby.. We split the chores among us.. Have fun! Keep the temper off, understand she has her way! Even if you want it one way, she might have a teacher tell her different, while not wrong per se, compromise!
                      lol, as far as welding goes that little girl lays a real nice bead, there ain't shit I am gonna teach her, if anything she will teach me!
                      We are going to do the distributor from step one, finding TDC and go from there. I want her to understand the process. She's smart, she'll do all the work, I am just gonna guide her.

Comment

It's about time. Glad to see it's going again.
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Besides the lower quarters, what else needs patches?

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            Besides the lower quarters, what else needs patches?
                            trunk floor, extensions, firewall. other than that its soild now.

We fixed some crappy wiring this morning. I showed them how to find TDC and installed the distributor. Now we have to make a parts run and grab a burger for my minions. Having a good time wrenching with them today, frankly I don't care if it does run today...time well spent IMO....

Comment

Working...
                            X