Rebeldryver's '65 Impala SS Black Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
    There is a 65 bel air in the yard. The car I got this stuff from. And a bunch more. I know they have at least six 66's, not sure if any are bel airs. Those wheels are from Summit.
    cool

the 65 and 66 1/4 emblems were the same. I just dont know if the driver and passenger side ones were different, I need the drivers side. if you happen to come across a good looking one with the mounting clips/nuts, I'd be more than happy to toss a few bucks your way for the trouble.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
      looks like a whole lotta spis-getty.
      It's Easter spis-getty. All the pretty colors.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Everybody has a 'keeper' in their past.....mine was a '65 SS 396 w/air.........my favorite car. I'm really glad to see you keep at putting this one back together year after year. And to be honest, I miss the 'road trips' you used to take in it..... Hopefully we will get a chance to meet you sometime soon and maybe travel a little or at least have lunch..........we'll be heading up to Sturgis for a Camaro rally in late June, and you're almost right on the way........
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 8, 2014, 06:45 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Spagetti!
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• In the middle of taking two fuse boxes and harnesses and making one good one. Just how I like to spend my evening.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• This is precisely why the falcon has a new harness - Scott (both of you) are more patient with electron conduits than I.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Not sure how completely gutting the wiring in an a car is easier or faster than what I am doing. This thing plugs back in.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I got the dash harness/fuse box back in the car and all connected. My memory wasn't that great, so I found a really good two page wiring diagram that covers everything from tail light to head light. Very helpful and easier to read the GM factory one. Crossing fingers it all works.

Made a bigger mess under the hood, going to totally redo the alternator charging wire set up. It was always a complicated mess. I need the kill switch to function correctly anyway and kill the car running when turned off, otherwise what's the point?

Looking for ideas on the alternator charging wire routing.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                    I got the dash harness/fuse box back in the car and all connected. My memory wasn't that great, so I found a really good two page wiring diagram that covers everything from tail light to head light. Very helpful and easier to read the GM factory one. Crossing fingers it all works.

Made a bigger mess under the hood, going to totally redo the alternator charging wire set up. It was always a complicated mess. I need the kill switch to function correctly anyway and kill the car running when turned off, otherwise what's the point?

Looking for ideas on the alternator charging wire routing.
                    where did you find that diagram? I imagine the 66 isnt "much" different than a 65. once I have the leaky differential and my new gearset installed in the mustang, the wagon is getting my full attention.

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• They are nearly identical. Here are the links for the two pages. I printed them and taped them together.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• cool, thanks man

Comment

• One of my other projects during the rewire is upgrading to two speed wiper motor with washers. I pieced this together from three different cars. The switch from a '65, the motor and wiring harness from two '66's. The harness for the wiper is a stand alone unit only going between the motor and the switch. I even got the firewall plug with this one. I cut out a notch in it for the oil pressure gauge's copper line. I had a washer pump repair kit lying around and used it.

The nice thing about GM's back then is even if your car didn't have the option, the car could be easily upgraded. This car's cowl vent already was stamped and drilled for the washer nozzles. Made installation of the nozzles I got from the donor car a snap.

From the outside, the only difference in the switch is the center button for the washer. The '65 Bel Air I got this switch from didn't have the stainless dash trim with wiper engraved in it. So, it had a switch bezel with wiper engraved on it. I reused my old one.
                          Last edited by Scott Liggett; April 23, 2014, 08:18 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Stupid ass forum wouldn't let me edit last post.

I also have the bracket for the washer tank. All the tanks I found were trashed due to being plastic, old and brittle. But, those are available repro. I have to figure out where to mount it as the radiator support location is now being used for the wiring and relays for the fans.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looking good Scott. It's something at how bare bones these cars were with some features such as washers and two speed wipers. Luckily my 66 was optioned with a two speed wiper and four way flashers. Too bad they didn't check off the option box for the 271 HP "K" motor. Yeah, I know what you mean about editing.I thought it was just me.
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Great upgrade.

I've been OK with editing but my last post lost the paragraphs. I asked Mark why - hopefully he'll get back on that one.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X