No announcement yet.

Rebeldryver's '65 Impala SS Black Betty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I personally wouldn't get a sock filter if you suspect rust issues. The sock will eventually plug up and will probably pop off if you apply air to the fuel line to flush it out. I removed the sock on my Skylark when I had the sender out and simply went with a filter inline before the pump.

I have one where the steel line goes from the chassis to the frame on my car. Maybe with your car's full frame it doesn't do that as conveniently. Mine right under the passenger door hinges. I couldn't find a picture that shows mine, but the DIYautotune Nova is the same.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Shortening the hard line back by the tank is no problem. I will add a filter back there, but I want to see how bad it is in the tank.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Scott - Do you know anyone with a borescore? You could just slide it in the tank and take a look without draining or anything. They had them at Costco a few weeks back for a couple of hundred bucks and I almost pulled the trigger but I REALLY didn't have a use for it. Not that that's ever stopped me before. Anyhow, worth a thought.

Dan

Comment

• Why not buy a new tank? On my wife's 69 that I've been working on I've been planning on doing so. Cheap insurance for about $150 in my case for a 22 gal tank and sending unit for a 70 (holds 2 more gallons). I'm also going to replace all the fuel hard lines with SS lines.
          Last edited by Huskinhano; January 1, 2013, 12:32 PM.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
            Why not buy a new tank? On my wife's 69 that I've been working on I've been planning on doing so. Cheap insurance for about $150 in my case for a 22 gal tank and sending unit for a 70 (holds 2 more gallons). I'm also going to replace all the fuel hard lines with SS lines.
            There is a planned fuel system upgrade that will be pricey even though I am being given the fuel pump, so keeping expenses down right now is imperative.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I shoulda bought that borescope. They DO answer a lot of questions instantly. Maybe as the budget recovers a bit - lots of $$ going into the S-10 right now.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                There is a planned fuel system upgrade that will be pricey even though I am being given the fuel pump, so keeping expenses down right now is imperative.
                Sorry, brain fart. I forgot, makes sense.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• I finally pulled the gas tank today. I thought I had it mostly empty. It wasn't. I found out when I took the nut off the strap and it fell on me. It still had five gallons in it. I wrestled it up onto the Caprice's hood to work on it, and drain it.

This is the only car I've worked on that had the sending unit that goes in through the front of the tank. Makes working on the lines and wiring easy.

With the tank out and on the hood of my other car you can see that I painted it with POR15 years ago. I made the mistake of painting the ring. It made for some work getting the sending unit out.

The sending unit out. I guess my memory is going as the pickup sock was still on the pickup tube. It was so hard it split and fell off when I touched it.

There wasn't a single flake of rust inside the tank. Even though the outside it dirty, ugly and has a significant dent; the interior of the gas tank was minty new looking. So, I just put it all back together. I checked the vent tube to make sure it was clear and called it a day.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Good to know the tank is clean. Time to check the integrity of the fuel lines if you are suspecting rust in the fuel.

My T-bird's sender is on the side of the tank. When I got a new tank and sender I apparently didn't tighten the ring enough and it came loose on me and spilled like 5 gallons. It wasn't pretty, but at least being on the side I could go under the car and fix it easily.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Someone said trouble comes in threes and number three showed up last night. I was running down to San Diego last night to meet up Squirrel's wife Janet. She toted a set of big block open chamber heads from Arizona for me as a trade for one of my carbs. The battery took a dive into no charge land and was competely dead when I stopped at a rest stop along the way. So out came the AAA card again. This time they sent a battery service dude who had some neato electronic gizmos that showed my battery had voltage but only had 45 amps instead of 600 like it is supposed to have.

Unbelievably he had my battery on his truck, series 24. But, he also had a series 25 which is smaller, more powerful and cheaper. We replaced it right thwre at the rest stop and I was on my way. The round trip I was expecting to five hours took seven.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                        Someone said trouble comes in threes and number three showed up last night. I was running down to San Diego last night to meet up Squirrel's wife Janet. She toted a set of big block open chamber heads from Arizona for me as a trade for one of my carbs. The battery took a dive into no charge land and was competely dead when I stopped at a rest stop along the way. So out came the AAA card again. This time they sent a battery service dude who had some neato electronic gizmos that showed my battery had voltage but only had 45 amps instead of 600 like it is supposed to have.

Unbelievably he had my battery on his truck, series 24. But, he also had a series 25 which is smaller, more powerful and cheaper. We replaced it right thwre at the rest stop and I was on my way. The round trip I was expecting to five hours took seven.
                        I just had to replace the battery in H3 - and the lady at Les Schwab (tire place) commented I could get a larger capacity battery in my H3 and save money I love it when a plan comes together
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Must be a rash of this going around. One of Truck's batteries failed and I took the dead one to AutoAdvance (we have both close to the house and I never can remember which is which). Turns out the battery in there was a Ford-style for a 7.3 and the correct Dodge battery fit better and was considerably cheaper. Same amp-hour rating but the Dodge style is a little narrower and slightly taller. Still second-guessing whether I should have done both batteries but everything's working for now. Can't recall the group numbers.

Dan

Comment

• I can't help wondering if the weak battery was part of my electrical issues and the backfires. The battery had gotten discharged a few times over the last year due to different issues. The good news is that before the battery croaked, the alternator wasn't working as hard as when the fans were running. Before, when the fans kicked on, the amp gauge jumped way into the charge side. Now, it's just barely above the center charge/no charge line when they are running.

The alternator is strong enough to power everything.

The wiring needs replacing. The old problem I had when I bought the car, the dome light wire melted into the wiper, heater fan, and turn signal wires, which meant they ran with the ignition off. I replaced all that wiring when I had the dash cluster out of the car. That problem has come back. It's obvious that I need to rewire the whole car, but I wanted to do this at a later date. It's obvious that I need to move this up the priority list.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• I'm always seeing ads for Painless and other brand-name wiring kits in the enthusiast mags. I've thought about them for the Cyclone but the suckers aren't cheap, comparatively speaking (i.e., refurbishing the original harness).
                              Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                                I'm always seeing ads for Painless and other brand-name wiring kits in the enthusiast mags. I've thought about them for the Cyclone but the suckers aren't cheap, comparatively speaking (i.e., refurbishing the original harness).
                                A buddy swears by American Autowire. About $350 his cost.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X