The Silver Buick's well Silver Buick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
    I forgot to get wire after work so that isn't getting done today, but I had to stop by my insurance company to pay a bill and walked out and thought this is a good place to take a picture of the new front end ride height.

You needed to take about 3 steps to the left. The thing I hated about taking pictures of my Skylark was if you were not perpendicular to the car, the wheels no longer looked centered. In extreme cases, I'd have to step more towards the front of the car to keep it from looking like the car got knocked forward on its frame.... for some reason, only skylarks suffer this indignity.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• It's not entirely an optical illusion. This same subject was covered on Facebook when I posted it and the wheels are indeed a little rearward of center once I went back to the car and looked up close. The picture angle does accent it though.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Just for you Joe.

All red wires, all the time

Aint gonna lie, last wire job I did on my car all the wires were blue...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It's not entirely an optical illusion. This same subject was covered on Facebook when I posted it and the wheels are indeed a little rearward of center once I went back to the car and looked up close. The picture angle does accent it though.
          I bet at stock super tall ride hieght they are more centered.
          1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
          1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

• It's probably an aftermarket spring thing. I bought new leaf springs in 2009, and my guess is over the years the rear springs got the same part number as another vehicle or two (first gen F-body's?) and it has a slightly longer front perch to axle pad length.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
              Aint gonna lie, last wire job I did on my car all the wires were blue...

Comment

• Not to dirty BBR's thread.. Pink car has a slap shifter, idle is 1200-1500 rpms..https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=ZfdPHXIx2Rc

Comment

• Like the new stance.

Comment

• Seems the thermostat on my Skylark isn't doing its job anymore. The car was running 10º-15ºF cooler today and laser temp gun confirmed with the MegaSquirt gauge.

Comment

• Huh, funny things happen when the thermostat is stuck open. Cruising along at around 170ºF, then wind the engine up and the temp tanks to 140ºF, which then triggered the warm up rpm limiter I set in the MegaSquirt to cause it to hit the rev limiter at 3,500rpm, which the engine was well over when it kicked on, lol. D'oh

Comment

• Just out doing random things in the shop today and decided to make a new cam sensor for the Skylark. Currently it's the big HEI distributor that sits like a castle at the front of the engine with no coil or wires going to it. Figured a smaller points distributor would be less intrusive. Last time I was in CA I grabbed a points distributor off a Buick 350 from the junkyard, but it was already mostly disassembled, but I figured beggars can't be choosers. Unfortunately it appeared to be missing a plate the points bolt too? I'm not sure, I grabbed a set of points off one of the OHC L6 distributors and drilled a couple of holes in the plate that was already there and made them fit with some adjustment.

Then the intention was to ground off all the lobes except one, but I got a little grinder happy as I was rolling the shaft around the grinder and accidentally hit the lobe I was intending to save. So then I just took more off the rest of the lobes so there was just a high spot. Then stuck it in the drill press and polished it down with some 120 grit and red scotchbrite to somewhat polish it back up. When I got it back together it works as intended, the points contacts open once per rotation. Currently the points don't even touch the lobe except for the high point. Will see how this works out in the long run.

I also put a strap across the mechanical advance posts. I roll pinned the HEI one and figured I'd try this out. Roll pins are easier =P I need to go get some small clips to retain the plate on and drill the shaft for a larger HEI distributor gear roll pin since that is what I have for the harden roller cam 455 distributor gear, then it'll be done.

Comment

• Does the dizzy have a gear on it or does that flat spot plug into a gear in the motor?

Comment

• I don't have a spare steel 455 gear, so I need to put the one on that is currently in the engine on the HEI distributor. The flat spot is the oil pump drive key. Plugs into the top of the pump gear.

I need to go get some small clips to retain the plate on and drill the shaft for a larger HEI distributor gear roll pin since that is what I have for the harden roller cam 455 distributor gear, then it'll be done.

Comment

• If it didn't require a gear I had a clean option for you to try but since it does....I don't LOL.

The 99-06 Jeep 4.0 cam sensor is like a distributor with its top cutoff and it has a half moon style sensor in it. It has a gear and the blade for the pump drive but I am sure the spacing for all that is wrong. On my small block mopar I am going to try it out though and see if I can adapt it as the blade will plug into my oil pump drive gear(not attached to the dizzy on an SBM)

That made little sense typed out sorry haha.

Found a pic

Last edited by BlueCuda340; November 3, 2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• That's a neat piece. If you have access to a decent machinist I'll bet it could be made to fit almost anything. Except one of my Diesels!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X