No announcement yet.

The 22 year project, the home stretch??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 22 year project, the home stretch??

I have owned this car since October of 1986. I sold my 62 Impala SS because I always wanted to build a streetrod. The 62 is even in my wedding pictures. Bought this 40 Ford three months before the first of my three children was born. I don't know what I was thinking as being recently married with a new mortgage and a kid on the way. Ya, I'm gonna have plenty of time and money!! That son is now a college senior.It has been on the street 1400 miles in the last 22 years. First with a Olds 350, then a Chev 283. Latest change is to a new 383 stroker, bigger disks in front, fixed some rusty frame problems, etc... Photos are in primer surfacer.Getting ready for paint. Never been in anything but primer as long as I have owned it. Plans are for satin black with lots of red pinstriping. Red steelies? or black steelies with stripes and whitewalls? Any thoughts or opinions?

The same 62 came back to me in 1998 and I will post photos soon.

Check out the Champ 500 style wheels with Goodyear GT's. 185/70-14 Front and 225/70-15 Rear with 1400 miles in 22 years.

383 Stroker, Trick Flow heads, Eagle crank and rods, Holley 700, Turbo 350 trans.

Stainless Exhaust by owner, Pete and Jakes ladder bars, Spax coilovers (from 1988), Mustang II crossmember (out of a Mustang II, before aftermarket was available)

Upholstery all done by owner. Yes that is tweed. Has five ribs above the vertical pleats. Matches the banjo steering wheel and 37 Ford window and door handles.

Re: My 22 year project

WOW
    very nicely done!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had a project for a while - my mustang hasn't done much of anything but have boxes of parts stored in it for nearly 4 years now.

Very cool that you did the upholstry - I've had a hard time finding good upholstry help - even the marina's that recomend folks -- quality nowhere near as nice as that seat in your photo.

Why not continue the silver from the engine compartment and under hood onto the body? I'm a sucker for silver - and on that body - I think it would look sweet.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

Why not try the upholstery yourself? Not as hard as it sounds. I just used an old Singer that was my Mom's. The whole project cost me about $700. I was told that local shops would get from $5000 to $10000 for what I did in about 30 hours. You can get everything you need at http://www.yourautotrim.com/ Buy these two books and they will help a lot. http://www.yourautotrim.com/howtobooks.html

I was thinking about cobalt blue and silver but the 40 sedans have no good body lines to follow for a transition from color to color. There are a number of silver 40 sedans around here. Probably as many in silver as all the others combined. They look OK but I just need something "different".

Comment

I have a weakness for those Champ 500 wheels. Forget the steelies and keep those. Unless of course you want to send them to me, then by all means, go for the steelies. ;D
        Nik

Comment

Originally posted by Nik
          I have a weakness for those Champ 500 wheels. Forget the steelies and keep those. Unless of course you want to send them to me, then by all means, go for the steelies. ;D
          Nik
          X's 2, love that style wheel...always have...especialy with spinners

Comment

I'll see what they look like with it painted. I've always liked that style wheel too. Hoping to paint in the next week or two. Can't wait toget it back on the road and put some real miles on it!! Need to decide if it goes on Power Tour next year.

Comment

That wheel will not work at all if you go with the semi/flat black......2 tone silver and black would look bitchin'

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                Originally posted by Nik
                Nik
                I have a model 55 Chevy with those exact wheels. Always thought they were cool. I don't see them much anymore.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                  Originally posted by Nik
                  Nik
                  I have a model 55 Chevy with those exact wheels. Always thought they were cool. I don't see them much anymore.
                  My buddy had a 70 442 and he had those on it other than stock olds wheels, I dont like another rims on that style car...I dont think they would work on my Fury...though I would give em a try if I coul find a nice set...

Comment

Mine were made by Grand Prix. Cheap Centerline Champ copy. I think I paid $69 each. I think they actually look better than the Centerline wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 62-impala-ss
                      I have owned this car since October of 1986. I sold my 62 Impala SS because I always wanted to build a streetrod. The 62 is even in my wedding pictures. Bought this 40 Ford three months before the first of my three children was born. I don't know what I was thinking as being recently married with a new mortgage and a kid on the way. Ya, I'm gonna have plenty of time and money!! That son is now a college senior.It has been on the street 1400 miles in the last 22 years. First with a Olds 350, then a Chev 283. Latest change is to a new 383 stroker, bigger disks in front, fixed some rusty frame problems, etc... Photos are in primer surfacer.Getting ready for paint. Never been in anything but primer as long as I have owned it. Plans are for satin black with lots of red pinstriping. Red steelies? or black steelies with stripes and whitewalls? Any thoughts or opinions?

The same 62 came back to me in 1998 and I will post photos soon.

Check out the Champ 500 style wheels with Goodyear GT's. 185/70-14 Front and 225/70-15 Rear with 1400 miles in 22 years.

383 Stroker, Trick Flow heads, Eagle crank and rods, Holley 700, Turbo 350 trans.

Stainless Exhaust by owner, Pete and Jakes ladder bars, Spax coilovers (from 1988), Mustang II crossmember (out of a Mustang II, before aftermarket was available)

Upholstery all done by owner. Yes that is tweed. Has five ribs above the vertical pleats. Matches the banjo steering wheel and 37 Ford window and door handles.
                      Looks super straight, I don't think semi ia any cheaper than gloss. Maker shine !

Comment

Looking good . Did centerline make a 5 spoke version of those wheels? I have a set that looks similar on my regal but have no idea of the make/model

Comment

PAINT, FINALLY!!

Took a week off of work to try and get some things buttoned up before winter hits. 6 degrees last night, I think it is here.

Used SEM Hot Rod Black.
                          Undercarriage and engine bay are all silver. Interior is gray tweed with silver dash and trim.

Car will get a large dose of red and silver stripes and maybe some red steelies.

First photo shows third brake light and second is with light behind it.

Comment

That's trick!

I love your car!

Comment

So Cool....

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X