Project '66 Corvette Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project '66 Corvette Refresh

I wouldn't call this a restoration, but a refresh. We are having the car painted and fixing some of the things that are weathered or worn.

Personally, I wanted to keep it as is and drive it as kind of a patina'd survivor deal, but my vote won out.

Here are a few pictures of the car when we first got it home.

Turns out the car was originally Sunfire Yellow, so we will be going back that color.

The interior will stay the same, gonna get the seat patched, and that's about it, clean it up real good. Like I said, no restoration, not looking to since a ton of money into the car, just make it a very nice driver.

Here are a few pictures showing more of the bad, the car is definitely a ten footer as is so I understand the want/need to paint it.

Front bumpers are shot too, but luckily we scored a nice used set at the Kissimmee NCRS show this weekend. Gotta polish them up and they will be good to go.

Put the convertible top up, its in pretty decent shape, needs a good cleaning. I worked on the back glass today, more on that later.

Here's a few under the hood shots. I think I have enough time before the body shop gets it to go ahead and freshen things up under the hood. Like I said, its gonna be a driver so a little fresh paint in all the right places will do the trick.

We got a killer deal on a complete new re-pop ignition shielding set up. Still gotta get a new breather lid and a few other odds and ends.

So there you have it! The project begins! Stay tuned for updates! Hopefully it will be done by mid-summer so we can enjoy the car some this year!
    2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

looks good! I really dig the seats, nice old time upholstery. And I have one of those pitted air cleaner lids off a 69....they look neat on other other old style hot rods.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wasn't sure how well the back glass in the top was going to clean up but I have to say it turned out pretty well!

Here are the before pictures.

Cleaned it first with glass cleaner(well the wife did).

Then I hit it with both these products from Meguiars

And the finished product!

2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        looks good! I really dig the seats, nice old time upholstery. And I have one of those pitted air cleaner lids off a 69....they look neat on other other old style hot rods.
        Oh yeah! Definitely putting it up for a future project, you can't recreate that kinda pitting, you just gotta sit that stuff out there and let it rust for about 30 years

Comment

While I'm not a Corvette fan the Gen II is for sure my fave. It's super that the back window cleaned up so well. And I see it has a CORVETTE MOTOR in it!!!! Have you considered just painting the headlight buckets and touching in the other funky spots and calling it good. It would be tricky to match but I'd give it a try unless you REALLY don't like the red. The paint doesn't look too cracked on my computer but might be in real life.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_4 View Post
            Wasn't sure how well the back glass in the top was going to clean up but I have to say it turned out pretty well!

Here are the before pictures.

Cleaned it first with glass cleaner(well the wife did).

Then I hit it with both these products from Meguiars

And the finished product!

That cleaned up really nice

Comment

I know a whole bunch of yuppies down in SoCal who could use that stuff on their Bimmer convert tops. Works great.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A little update, finally got a chance to head up to the body shop tonight and check out the progress. Its supposed to be painted by the 3rd, but we will see, I'm not holding my breath!

Gotta order some new emblems, door handles, etc. The new paint is gonna clash with these old ones. Gonna loose one of the big Stingray emblems off the front hood. Its correct for 1966 but not for the hood so it kinda looks off with it on there, plus it saves about 150 that can be spent on some other stuff that needs replaced.

The old ones.

Comment

Progress!! Getting closer to paint, one or two more guide coats and some finally sanding and it should be ready for color!

Comment

We have color!!

Cowl vents, headlight rings, and rear valence are painted too, just didn't snap a picture. He's finishing up roughing in the jams, then the whole car will be ready for paint. Hopefully it will be in full color by the weekend!

Comment

We have color!!!!!! Finally! Just about a month later than promised, but hey, who is keeping track! Can't wait to see it finished, it looks like its gonna be one slick ride. Paint looks great, looks really deep and has a great shine. The body was pretty nice and no hit to start with, but it had years of repaints, quickie's, etc. on it so it was a lot of work to get just right, but I think he succeeded! Can't wait for the parts to start going back on it!! I'm hoping by the time I get it back, detail the interior really nice, refresh the engine bay, it should be ready to ride by the 1st June, I hope!!

Comment

Corvette Yellow!! At least, that's what many people called it when I was a kid to describe the repaint they did on their hot rod. I think on the Impala it was known as Sunflower Yellow, or something similar. What did GM call it on the Vette? Most likely named after a racetrack.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sunfire yellow

in other words, one of the color choices when I repaint the wagon one day
                          Last edited by Shelty; May 7, 2014, 07:26 PM.
                          Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Yeap! Sunfire yellow!

Comment

My first '70 Road Runner was about that color and Chrysler called it "gold". Go figure!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X