Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

74NovaMan's 66 Mustang GT (Dad's first new car)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know what you mean Chris I've got something on my Pinto that drives me crazy nobody knows about it but me and no one can see it,but I still know it is there and that is enough for me.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Dad fell yesterday and fractured a vertebrae. I spent the most of the day in the hospital with him and had to catch myself from talking about what we've been up to on several occasions. Unfortunately, this development puts a serious hurt on the time we need to get the car done for the Tour. There probably won't be much progress for a little while.
      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
      74 Nova Project
      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
      79 Chevy Truck Project
      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• praying for you both... hope he heals quickly and completely
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Sorry about your Pop. Best of luck to him. As I get older I get more and more aware of what might break something - everything takes longer to heal. When I change lights up on my scaffold I'm REALLY cautious. That puts my feet 8' off the floor and my head nearly 10' up (PW will get a chuckle if he reads that).

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
            Dad fell yesterday and fractured a vertebrae. I spent the most of the day in the hospital with him and had to catch myself from talking about what we've been up to on several occasions. Unfortunately, this development puts a serious hurt on the time we need to get the car done for the Tour. There probably won't be much progress for a little while.
            Sorry to hear that. Hope all heals well for him!
            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your dad prayers and good thoughts his way. Not to worry you still have your plan B the Nova if you have too. I know it's not what you wanted to go in,but the main thing is going. Take care to all.
              Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• x5

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your dad.

Comment

• the car's not what matters now , dad matters , there is always another cruise but not another dad , I wish him a speedy and complete recovery

Comment

• Prayers for a speedy recovery
                    Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

• Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts. I appreciate it. Still hoping to take the Mustang on the Tour this year. We'll see.

What do you recommend for break in miles before heading out for an 18 hour trip at sustained speeds of 70-80mph? My goal has been 500 with at least one oil change. That brings up another question: when do you do your first oil change on a new motor? I'm planning on using GM EOS and regular 10w40 oil. Feel free to add your $.02 on alternate suggestions on that score as well.
                      Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                      74 Nova Project
                      66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                      79 Chevy Truck Project
                      1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• Oh man! Thoughts for you and your dad! . Like it has been said, car becomes secondary, thirdly and so on quite easily.. Hope it all works out!

Comment

Dad fell yesterday and fractured a vertebrae. I spent the most of the day in the hospital with him and had to catch myself from talking about what we've been up to on several occasions. Unfortunately, this development puts a serious hurt on the time we need to get the car done for the Tour. There probably won't be much progress for a little while.
                          So Dad is unaware of this project's status?
                          Good luck, prayers for a full recovery.
                          Last edited by mike343sharpstick; April 25, 2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts. I appreciate it. Still hoping to take the Mustang on the Tour this year. We'll see.

What do you recommend for break in miles before heading out for an 18 hour trip at sustained speeds of 70-80mph? My goal has been 500 with at least one oil change. That brings up another question: when do you do your first oil change on a new motor? I'm planning on using GM EOS and regular 10w40 oil. Feel free to add your $.02 on alternate suggestions on that score as well.
                            I highly recommend Gibbs Hot Rod Oil. They have a special formula for break-in and another with high Zinc content oil for regular driving. I would use it for the first several thousand miles on the motor, or the life of the motor. For my break-ins, I'll usually hold the RPM between 2500 and 3500 for the first 500 miles of city driving, rather than highway driving. City driving tends to heat everything up better, which helps the gaskets to seal better. Also, keeping it around town will help with the shake-out bugs that will no doubt appear. You don't want to be 300 miles from home if something should go wrong within the first 300 miles. After you get about 500 miles (or a little more), change the oil & filter and go on the trip.

Your thoughts may vary!

Comment

• I hope your dad gets better soon!
                              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

• Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post

I highly recommend Gibbs Hot Rod Oil. They have a special formula for break-in and another with high Zinc content oil for regular driving. I would use it for the first several thousand miles on the motor, or the life of the motor. For my break-ins, I'll usually hold the RPM between 2500 and 3500 for the first 500 miles of city driving, rather than highway driving. City driving tends to heat everything up better, which helps the gaskets to seal better. Also, keeping it around town will help with the shake-out bugs that will no doubt appear. You don't want to be 300 miles from home if something should go wrong within the first 300 miles. After you get about 500 miles (or a little more), change the oil & filter and go on the trip.

Your thoughts may vary!
                                Been using Gibbs Hot rod oil too.
                                I used Rotella-T for a 30 minute break-in, Then switched to Gibbs oil after that.
                                On my next engine I'll use Gibbs break-in oil just as insurance.

Comment

Working...
                                X