55 Wagon Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan, I think she's about 5'8 or so..

Final design on the bucket seat brackets... and owner approved today as well. One down, one to go.. This is made from 14 gauge cold rolled steel and puts the seat about as low as we can go without cutting the floor pan..

Video of the seat bracket:

Seat test fitted:

Robert

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• It is so cool to see what someone can do with the right tools that knows how to use them. Great job guys.
      Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Don't think I showed this on the other side, but here's how we find the center of the bend for dimensioning the seat bracket..

Bent up and a test fit...

Relief cuts made for the next fold.....

then rolled through the bead roller

and then the brake is used to fold the outer flange. Here, all welded in place...

The front hole pattern is laid out to match the drivers bracket, and then some perpendicular lines laid out for locating the rear risers...

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• your posts never cease to amaze me!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Thanks!

Got a new apprentice that started this past Saturday.. Her mom even thought it was a good idea!

She's getting the driver's seat bracket all prepped for SPI epoxy primer, while I worked on finishing the passenger bracket..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Yours? Or forced labor from another source? GREAT for her to get into it at any rate.

Dan

Comment

• Mine. And I've already been chastised by an older cousin (female) that she shouldn't be working in my shop unless she WANTED to. My response:

What she wants is spending money. What she doesn't have is a drivers license for another year. What she gets out of it is mechanical background knowledge that may help prevent some shiester from taking her to the cleaners by charging for something bogus later in life.
                Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• That's a big 10-4! I did body work with my oldest the summer she was 18 or maybe 19. I had the same goal and I'm not sure she picked up on it. Hope yours does. On the other hand I wasn't straightforward in telling her of that goal and probably should have been. Either way, good for both of you. She has a golden opportunity to learn some amazing skills, or at least the concepts behind some amazing skills and I hope she gets it. I'd have killed to work with someone like you at that age.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by MP&C View Post
                    Mine. And I've already been chastised by an older cousin (female) that she shouldn't be working in my shop unless she WANTED to. My response:

What she wants is spending money. What she doesn't have is a drivers license for another year. What she gets out of it is mechanical background knowledge that may help prevent some shiester from taking her to the cleaners by charging for something bogus later in life.
                    I would have the same response but with a dose of don't tell me how to raise mine and I won't tell you how to raise yours.
                    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Sean's made a profession from helping Dad... He's looking to move up, but he's gaining skills while working full time bending wrenches...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Well the new hire is still here a week later, so I haven't scared her away yet ....

Getting down to the nitty gritty on the seat brackets, number two is all but done, need to weld in three hex nuts and touch up some media blasting. Hoping for good weather this weekend so we can spray some epoxy primer on them and get these installed...

And the last two pipe clamps came in at Napa (installed with lock nuts), so we can now throw some air to the planishing hammer and try out the new fixture..

Last edited by MP&C; March 2, 2017, 06:11 AM.
                        Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• tell your helper that her matching shirt and shoes really does set that blast cabinet off quite well. ;)

I love people who tell me what to do, because they pretty much always go away in a snit - and then I get to use this classic line "you look so good going away"
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Taught my kid to weld, does it better than I..
                            He could make a living that way but doesn't

Comment

• This weekend we got the three hex nuts welded underneath seat bracket number two, fourth hole is a bolt through......

1/4" tall spacers fabricated to make the seat tracks level, then tacked in place on the front holes..

Prepped and hung up for epoxy primer...

OEM seat bracket holes in the floor pans open to the inside of floor crossmembers. Rather than weld them closed and warp the floor pan, we opted for these fancy hole plugs.

SPI epoxy primer applied...

When it's 39* outside and the paint booth is sucking the heat out of the building, this is how you keep the temps up to a balmy 75* in the paint booth..

We'll let the seat brackets cure for a few days and then get started on plug welding them in place..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

• Got started on drilling plug weld holes this evening, here laying out the hole patterns to align with the floor crossmember where possible...

Once drilled to match our piloted burnishing brush, the paint surrounding the plug weld gets cleaned to prevent weld contamination..

Using a piloted burnishing brush to clean the epoxy primer away from the weld area. A much cleaner alternative to using a sanding disc..

Robert

MP&C Youtube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X