Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Silver Buick's 1969 Firebird OHC six project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but where and how did you find all of this "goodness"!

Comment

• Excellent score! Looks like infinite goodness.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
        Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but where and how did you find all of this "goodness"!
        It essentially found me. A guy I have been OHC bench racing with for a few years now was looking to clear out some garage space of projects he'll likely never finish and basically saw my enthusiasm and actual progress with the OHC engine and literally gave all this to me. Just cost me the U-haul rental I told him that I won't get dumb with the good hardware while R&D'ing a turbo set up and will stick the assembled engine and machined block off to the side and if a few years go by and I haven't used it and he suddenly finds himself wanting to use it, I'll happily hand it back. Given the other stuff I'd still be quite happy, especially would be interested to see what he'd do with it, but he does have at least two more assembled engines and one unassembled one, so he still has plenty to keep him busy if he gets back to it. There's a few other goodies I didn't post up too.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Nice way to see guys share. Very cool!

Comment

• Wow! That's one heck of a score! It will be fun to see what you do with it!
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

• As I have started looking into each of the pieces, it appears I cannot use the pistons as are. They are for a 6" rod instead of a stock 5.7" rod, in a 250 block. Interestingly enough though a set of six SCAT 6" rods for the inline six is almost $200 cheaper than 6 forged pistons, so that is still some cost savings. Also the finished crank, is a 230 crank (I guess to match the machined 230 block), so I may be delving into the 230 world anyways. One of the 230 short block engines (the one with the writing on the crank) still has cross hatching on the bores, so I may pull that apart and if the crank, bearings, etc look good clean it up and reassemble it as a back-up engine.

Unfortunately with 230 engines, any work I do with a 250 head will decimate the compression ratio. But I'm thinking of using mostly 230 heads to keep compression up anyways, so the "finished" heads may be swappable between the two engine sizes, just with a manageable change in compression ratio (run a little low on the 230 and a little high on the 250).

Comment

• Lots of finicky info to keep track of!
                Wait till you hit the "CRS" stage... Thit is "X"... Err no, I forgot, it's "Y". No no.. It's...oh hell!

Comment

• I sharpie'd a lot of boxes yesterday! Until yesterday I hadn't ever had to calculate pin/compression height for a piston because I've always ran stock rods and standard replacement pistons. Knowing the 230 and 250 use different compression heights I figured I better figure out which this was for, which is interesting because all the machined stuff is 230, but the pistons are definitely 250's with a 6" rod, well unless you shave .050" off the engine deck I suppose, but usually custom pistons are ordered to shave less off the deck.

Comment

• I mean no insult...
                    Maybe you can find a 4-71 blower and run a dragster...
                    Boy, it is sure easy to buid other's parts and spend their money

Comment

• Like this? Googling, an M122 snout/drive should bolt on to this M62 and be the perfect length to put the super charger right there (or rather rotate it 90º on its side). Better yet get an M122!!

I don't have the balancer/pulley seated all the way onto the crank.

Comment

• M62's and M122's use different snout patterns. M112's and M90's however do share snouts with the M122. Someone out there made adapters to put M112 rotors and snouts onto M90 cases.
                        Central TEXAS Sleeper
                        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Damnnn crazy how us "sick" people think alike!

Comment

• Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
                            M62's and M122's use different snout patterns. M112's and M90's however do share snouts with the M122. Someone out there made adapters to put M112 rotors and snouts onto M90 cases.

Hmm, I thought I read otherwise... Maybe I just need an M90....

Comment

• I looked into it with putting an M62 off of a Nissan onto my 3.0L Duratec V6 in my LS since they have side inlets. All was good till I figured out that I couldn't make 300hp at a reasonable heat load with an M62 and needed the CFM from an M90 so I looked at doing the "stuffer plate" idea to keep the side inlet but the rotors (which drives the snout pattern) are bigger. The M62 is a longer M45 and the M112 and M122 are longer M90's.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• THAT'S QUITE THE SCORE!
                                Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X