X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

Now you're talkin! I'll be set up over at PIR.
    cool, when it looks like I'll make my deadline, I'll PM you my space number. I figure getting a space at the expo center would be a lesson in futility.

I also plan on being at the Roadster show on Sat. night...
    It only takes one aweshit to erase a dozen attaboys

Comment

Yeah I'm planning on going to the roadster show too. Just haven't decided what day or time yet. If we go Sat. night I'll PM you my cell and maybe we can meet up to say hello.
      I'm space 2476 at the race track. I'll have my blue '69 Burb there with parts in the back to sell.
      Last edited by 1946Austin; March 15th, 2012, 08:27 AM.

Comment

It's official, I'm going to be at PIR. Don't know the space number (sharing with a friend), but it's right at the turn/back gate/back turn grandstands.

I may take the Buick too, we'll have to see, beside bumpers and starter, I have to reseal the transmission.

Comment

Now that you are real familiar with turbo's, a couple of turbo's on the engine and a little rework of the rear suspension to ride better and it might be a decent ride.

Comment

Now that you are real familiar with turbo's, a couple of turbo's on the engine and a little rework of the rear suspension to ride better and it might be a decent ride.
            the quickest way to poverty selling cars is to build them just like you want them - but oh the temptation to do just that.

Comment

And pictures:

Comment

now I just have to make it go

Comment

You guys will be pretty close to us! We're right at the corner of the turnaround triangle farthest from the tower.
                  Just got home from the roadster show. It was pretty good, but as usual some real crap in the old building too. Wait 'til you see the Cadillac with horns on the hood! Gave me shivers to see something that ugly in a show!

Comment

I totally agree on that caddicrap.... I think ratrod has turned the corner to ratcrap... they were cool when they started because they were old cars in the progress to be something cool. Now, it seems to be who can build the weirdest/unsafest car and make it to the car show.

Ah well, I must be getting old because the only Buick I thought was cool(ish) had a 502 chevrolet in it - and I walked away

Comment

I've really had it with the ratrods that are thrown together and look like it too! I've seen a few that are well bbuilt, well engineered, and well thought out that I still think are OK. I just don't understand all the time and money thrown into a project to try and make it look bad. I also don't like fake patina.

Comment

It is funny, though, I wonder if the next "big thing" is going to be people building true replicas their high school car. Kind of like a crusher camaro vibe.

I did like the Slo Pokes cars... those were pretty cool - kind of retro-ish, but no one trying to be retro....
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I don't want slow crap with no a/c that dripped half of it's oil and burned the rest. No first car memory rebuilds for me. Maybe I'll build one some day that is what I *wanted* for my first car.

"fau"tina... there's a concept that would have NEVER occurred to me, although I'll toss acid (Patina) on leaded glass to darken up the lead. My great uncles had a couple of really great old farm trucks, they had patina. They were also bailing wire and bubble gum death traps - appliances for a farmer. They were proud of their "nice" cars and kept them washed and waxed, no "patina" on them.

Everyone's got their thing... I do kinda dig the Betty Paige haircut Betties though.

I always liked the rally's on 'vettes of this vintage. They look "right" .
                          Last edited by Beagle; March 19th, 2012, 04:40 AM.

Comment

my dad wouldn't let me drive a car that had those problems - it could look like crap (and oh did my brother push the limits on that one lol) - but it had to be mechanically sound.

Of course, finances dictated that whatever I drove came from behind a barn, so it was a challenge to make them and keep them sound.

Comment

Maybe I'll build one some day that is what I *wanted* for my first car.
                              I just kept my first car and gave it the engine, transmission and brakes I always wanted it to have
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I just kept my first car and gave it the engine, transmission and brakes I always wanted it to have
                                I honestly hope that my first car is still rusting into the ground in Eastern Washington. The Skylark I have now is what I would have had if I'd had a choice...

Comment

You don't think I sat down and said "Dad, I want a '77 Buick Skylark" do you? First car I bought was a '69 Firebird, I've just gotten fond of the ol' Skylark over the years.
                                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You don't think I sat down and said "Dad, I want a '77 Buick Skylark" do you? First car I bought was a '69 Firebird, I've just gotten fond of the ol' Skylark over the years.
                                    That's f*ing funny. Thanks Randal, I needed that. My conversation went something like "Dad, what are you gonna do with that leaking turd out front that Mom ragged out and sister mangled the clutch in?" (74 Vega, porked a/c, bad clutch, leaking oil burning thing) and his response was "If you'll put a clutch in it, you can have it."

That was priced perfect, and still totalled my savings. lol. I can still smell the hypoid 90wt, and marvel at how the Saginaw weighed almost as much as the engine. It was sound enough to drive mechanically, you just carried a couple extra quarts of 20w50 with you if you wanted to go a full tank of gas without stopping at the Chief. The 20w50 dripped out slower. My dad's deal was "No, you can't put a V8 in it" and since I lived at his home, I complied.

A long long time ago, I remember reading something about fiberglass leafs to take some of the nastiness out of the ride on this vintage of Corvette?
                                    Last edited by Beagle; March 19th, 2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

The best way to get rid of the ride of this vintage corvette is to sell the car.
                                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The best way to get rid of the ride of this vintage corvette is to sell the car.
                                        hmmmm... I'm thinking John wants a plastic fantastic car

my first car conversation went like this:

"hey dad, did you see that 1962 Buick behind the barn?", "yes, the guy wants $100 for it but that's too much." Fast forward a couple days - I'm at the "owner's" house. I call my dad, "Dad, I'm at the house of that 1962 Buick - the guy wants $75.00 for it. You haven't paid me yet this week (working for him), so simply pay me so I can buy it." My dad answers "you can't pay more than $50 for it." I tell the owner, the guy had called his brother (the true owner of the car) and gotten approval to sell for $75. The house owner says "oh fine, I just want the car gone - if it costs me $25 it's cheap." So we go pick up the car, and my dad hands the guy money and takes the title. Picture me with a puzzled look on my face - since this was supposed to be my purchase.
                                        We get home with the car at the end of a rope. I start with the plans for "my" car. I was informed that it wasn't my car - that my dad decided it was his, but I could drive it..... happened twice more once with a 65 Sunbeam Alpine, and the Studebaker truck I owned.... now my conversations about cars I know my dad wants goes like this "see the picture of the car I've bought?"

Ah well, when my dad was all hot and bothered about the 50 Sedanet I bought, and with the 37 and 38 Chevrolet coupes I bought (his first car, and his first dragster) - I have zero conscience about not selling them to him.... payback really is a b**ch
                                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Oh you can give me a corvette - and I'll drive it - while I'm busy trying to sell it!
                                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                          X