Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project BWB or, The Big White Bastard!

99-08-51-001B MAR 11 Body - Paint-Less Dent Repair Recommendations

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/11/921144fa.html

GM will cover repainting of vehicles with such delamination problems, but only up until they're 5 years old. This is why GM released technical service bulletin #231054 which allows dealerships to handle such problems on a "case by case basis to give goodwill adjustments to customers".

http://www.thirdgen.org/paint-crack-fade-peel
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

So yesterday I went by car toys to see what kinda deal they would give me on a stereo and speakers for the BWB. I have an alpine 4 channel amp that will be going in it already. $398 OTD .... I thought that was a bit pricey for an entry level Kenwood deck and speakers, so I did some online shopping @ Best Buy. The same deck and slightly upgraded speakers (from C/T's) .... $236 OTD. I'll still have to pick up the install kit @ car toys, but heck .... $140 cheaper. I'll stop by today after I get to work and pick it all up.
      My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world.

Comment

Crutchfield.com - check out the close out section of that site - even the sale prices usually beat retail by a lot - and they come with install kits free - wiring pigtails for speaker hook ups, install documentation etc. Love that place.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So I threw an ad up on C/L wanting to trade an old 2hp craftsman compressor for a truck tool box. A guy at a car lot here in town responded. I went over to his lot today, and he had a stack of truck boxes. He let me take my pick. Ended up with a full size below the rail box, w/locks and mountain bike front fork mounts for transporting bikes .....

SCORE!

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together! I hate paying retail for stuff like that - it seems truck beds are a very personal thing - some guys have to have caps / toppers, other guys never would, one guy has to have a tool box and plastic bedliner, another guy wouldn't have anything but line-x and a truxedo bed cover.

Great deal!

Comment

So I finally got some time today to work on it.

First up was the stereo/speaker/amp install. I had an older Alpine amp that I mounted under the driver's seat. I ran monster cables from the deck to the amp, and wired the speakers w/heavy gauge speaker wire that I got from an install shop. I actually found a correct color Metra install kit for the dash, along with the pocket that goes in place of the original stereo head unit .....

Attachment

The speaker holes were already cut in the doors and rear side panels, so I just filled them w/ 6X9 rears and 61/2 fronts. When the P/O removed everything, it's obvious that putting it all back together properly wasn't important. Most every panel clip was broken or missing and several screws were MIA both on the doors and in the dash. Its a good thing I pack-rat extra clips, screws and nuts .... I needed a bunch of them. All of the rattles are gone now and when I close a door, it doesn't sound like pieces/parts are falling off.

Front speakers:

Attachment

When my son came home for lunch, he was able to help me get the tool box mounted in the bed too ....

Attachment

And here is a pic of my 1st big block:

Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

So the tires on this pig aren't exactly the best. Shopping around, for an entry level all terrain, I'm looking at roughly $1100 for a set (6) mounted/balanced/OTD. A bit of searching on craig's, and I found a guy up in northern Colo. that has a set of Michelin LTX M/S (6) with less than 15k on them. He'll go $250 for all, and even mount and balance them if I can meet him after the shop he works at closes. Of course it's all contingent on whether or not the tires are as he described ....

Comment

Michelins are great tires - he's giving them away at that price - I hope they are as described. LRE tires don't come cheap!
                  Used to be able to get Liberators at walmart for abut $85 a piece.... not anymore!

I paid about $750 for four long trail TAs - 265/75 -16.

Comment

Pricing that tire at Discount, $208 per tire. I've run these on a bunch of trucks and it is my favorite. Good all around traction and they last a good long time.

Comment

Hope that craigslist deal works out for you- that would be a MAJOR WIN! even if they're at 50% tread depth and you can get a couple years out of them....

Comment

So what your saying is that it'd be a good candidate for media blasting? I wonder if they could even do that without TOTAL dis-assembly.

I'd actually like to add a cowl hood to it, I think they look better with those ....
                        You'll like the cowl hood! had one on my 95 Suburban, and have one on my 2001 Suburban! The big-block is also a plus! I had a Banks exhaust kit on my 95 454, but they don't make one for the 8.1 in the 2001. Great power, but they do like gas stations!
                        Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                        Gregg and Deb Miller
                        Verona, Wi.

Comment

It does have nice power .... preliminary MPG is 11 with a combo of around town and minimal highway. I think realistically, with a few bolt ons and conservative right foot, I should be able to manage 13/14 under the same conditions..... that'll be at least double what the chevelle gets!

And, the deal fell thru on the tires ..... GD craigslist flakes .... I called the guy weds night and offered him $275 for the set and he was good with it, a verbal handshake if you will. Called him again thursday afternoon to go pick them up and he said he sold them "a few nights ago" ....

Comment

didnt they recall that paint...my buddy found a recall on his 88 Beretta after the car was about 12 yrs old...got it repainted...dunno if that is even possible anymore...
                            we did that with our 1991 tempo in 2004 lol bought the car brand new and the clear coat was compleatly gone by 93 found out about the recall when we brought it in when the ford dealer was doing free oil changes and compleat safty inspections

03 Silverado 2500HD ext. cab short bed 4x4 6.0L: TowMater 92 LeBaron Convertible: Does it run yet?

Comment

So it needed a thermal actuator .... kept popping the 4x4 fuse. To be honest, this was the first chevy truck that I've owned that has ever needed one. Instead of the $85 replacement part, I decided to replace it with a US Alloy differential cable lock kit. It removes all of the electronics and replaces it with a cable that mounts under the dash. Pull the cable out and it locks the front diff and then the four wheel drive is shift on the fly. The added benefit is that you can put the T case in 4lo without the front diff locking, and have super low pulling power in 2wd.

Best $145 I ever spent!

Comment

I need to look into something like that. The Bronco has an electric 4wd switch and it's a dance routine to get it in 4w Lo. It will likely never see concrete again, so I thought about welding the pinions and just locking one hub so it can still make turns..

Comment

Please let me know where you got that - I'd LOVE to change to a system like that in my 01 F350 instead of the stoopid vacuum actuated factory set up that I have to rebuild to make work right (it does have 200k on it)

Comment

This is where I ordered mine:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...24&t_pl=104739

It was literally a 1/2 hour install, I do need to fine tune the actual throw of the actuator when the cable is pulled, but not a huge deal.

Comment

Slowly over the past few weeks I've been pressure washing the bejeezus out of the truck ..... slowly peeling the paint off. What really helped was a massive stormed that rolled thru and we got a good amount of pea size hail. The paint is peeling off in big sections. The primer coat is staying though, and even in the areas where there are chips to bare metal, the primer is not coming up/off.

So who has paint experience with this era of GM greatness in paint?

Can I just get it down to the factory primer coat, prep and go from there? Or should I go to bare metal?

I was really sold on the Duplicolor Paintshop line, but in searching I also found this: http://www.5starautobodyproducts.com/ and the local paint supply carries it in stock.

Give me some ideas here guys .....

Comment

my brother had a 91 Chevrolet truck that had paint problems and was under warranty. The dealership ground down to bare metal before they painted it - said the primer was the problem, not the paint

however, before grinding to metal, I'd ask the manufacturers if they've found a work-around (PPG, Duplicolor, etc)
                                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM.
                                        It only takes one aweshit to erase a dozen attaboys

Comment

Paging Dan Stokes ...

http://carpainting.wetpaint.com/page/Roller+Method

in the late 80's, early '90's there were a ton of problems with water-borne primers. My 88 F150 was repainted by Ford when the clear coat peeled off, then the color coat under that peeled many years later. They sanded it and painted over the top of the factory junk. I think if it had been sanded a little better and maybe was a little cleaner, the repaint would have lasted. They didn't go to metal, just into the color coat. When it peeled the second time, it was pulling up the primer.
                                          Last edited by Beagle; June 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X