Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project BWB or, The Big White Bastard!

Might even be cheaper if you do some of the prep work yourself...removing the grill, missors and trim and such.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Heck I'll even feather the chips, stirp the flakes and repair a few cracks on the rear fenders. I'm ok with the body work and prep .... I just relly suck at the sprayin' part.
      My way of joking is to tell the truth. It's the funniest joke in the world.

Comment

Heck I'll even feather the chips, stirp the flakes and repair a few cracks on the rear fenders. I'm ok with the body work and prep .... I just relly suck at the sprayin' part.
        sucky part is if you do that, the paint will probably flake off on your way home from the paint shop. It's the primer that caused the problem, and it has to be taken off....

that said, white is pretty easy to put on a car.... certainly is a good first color to learn.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Cool truckster. Paint is typical of GM of that era. I remember everyone slamming those into the dirt. I've even seen ones with the hitch sticking through the middle of the tailgate.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

sucky part is if you do that, the paint will probably flake off on your way home from the paint shop. It's the primer that caused the problem, and it has to be taken off....

that said, white is pretty easy to put on a car.... certainly is a good first color to learn.
            So what your saying is that it'd be a good candidate for media blasting? I wonder if they could even do that without TOTAL dis-assembly.

I'd actually like to add a cowl hood to it, I think they look better with those ....

Comment

99-08-51-001B MAR 11 Body - Paint-Less Dent Repair Recommendations

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/11/921144fa.html

GM will cover repainting of vehicles with such delamination problems, but only up until they're 5 years old. This is why GM released technical service bulletin #231054 which allows dealerships to handle such problems on a "case by case basis to give goodwill adjustments to customers".

http://www.thirdgen.org/paint-crack-fade-peel
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

So yesterday I went by car toys to see what kinda deal they would give me on a stereo and speakers for the BWB. I have an alpine 4 channel amp that will be going in it already. $398 OTD .... I thought that was a bit pricey for an entry level Kenwood deck and speakers, so I did some online shopping @ Best Buy. The same deck and slightly upgraded speakers (from C/T's) .... $236 OTD. I'll still have to pick up the install kit @ car toys, but heck .... $140 cheaper. I'll stop by today after I get to work and pick it all up.

Comment

Crutchfield.com - check out the close out section of that site - even the sale prices usually beat retail by a lot - and they come with install kits free - wiring pigtails for speaker hook ups, install documentation etc. Love that place.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

So I threw an ad up on C/L wanting to trade an old 2hp craftsman compressor for a truck tool box. A guy at a car lot here in town responded. I went over to his lot today, and he had a stack of truck boxes. He let me take my pick. Ended up with a full size below the rail box, w/locks and mountain bike front fork mounts for transporting bikes .....

SCORE!

Comment

I love it when a plan comes together! I hate paying retail for stuff like that - it seems truck beds are a very personal thing - some guys have to have caps / toppers, other guys never would, one guy has to have a tool box and plastic bedliner, another guy wouldn't have anything but line-x and a truxedo bed cover.

Great deal!

Comment

So I finally got some time today to work on it.

First up was the stereo/speaker/amp install. I had an older Alpine amp that I mounted under the driver's seat. I ran monster cables from the deck to the amp, and wired the speakers w/heavy gauge speaker wire that I got from an install shop. I actually found a correct color Metra install kit for the dash, along with the pocket that goes in place of the original stereo head unit .....

Attachment

The speaker holes were already cut in the doors and rear side panels, so I just filled them w/ 6X9 rears and 61/2 fronts. When the P/O removed everything, it's obvious that putting it all back together properly wasn't important. Most every panel clip was broken or missing and several screws were MIA both on the doors and in the dash. Its a good thing I pack-rat extra clips, screws and nuts .... I needed a bunch of them. All of the rattles are gone now and when I close a door, it doesn't sound like pieces/parts are falling off.

Front speakers:

Attachment

When my son came home for lunch, he was able to help me get the tool box mounted in the bed too ....

Attachment

And here is a pic of my 1st big block:

Attachment
                        Attached Files

Comment

So the tires on this pig aren't exactly the best. Shopping around, for an entry level all terrain, I'm looking at roughly $1100 for a set (6) mounted/balanced/OTD. A bit of searching on craig's, and I found a guy up in northern Colo. that has a set of Michelin LTX M/S (6) with less than 15k on them. He'll go $250 for all, and even mount and balance them if I can meet him after the shop he works at closes. Of course it's all contingent on whether or not the tires are as he described ....

Comment

Michelins are great tires - he's giving them away at that price - I hope they are as described. LRE tires don't come cheap!
                            Used to be able to get Liberators at walmart for abut $85 a piece.... not anymore!

I paid about $750 for four long trail TAs - 265/75 -16.

Comment

Pricing that tire at Discount, $208 per tire. I've run these on a bunch of trucks and it is my favorite. Good all around traction and they last a good long time.

Comment

Hope that craigslist deal works out for you- that would be a MAJOR WIN! even if they're at 50% tread depth and you can get a couple years out of them....

Comment

Working...
                                X