No announcement yet.

the notso pretty 56 F100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive got lots of good ideas for the bed.....

the roof got me thinking, I tend to do my best thinking when i walk my dogs at night - what im gunna do is make a templant front to back and side to side using cardboard to get a rough idea on how the roof shape is and take them to the salvage yard and check the roofs on some trucks there and will prolly cut the roof off of a truck/minitruck and reskin my truck using the new metal
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Maybe do some cardboard cutouts of the contour curve of the '56 roofline...

You can probably find a bunch of different fenders or old car hoods & maybe trunks that have a similar curve. Quilt it together.

If there's a wrecked '56 somewhere else with a good roof, that's the easy way though...
      Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

I called Classic Bobs in So-Cal asking about a roof skin and they told me that the roof skins are about impossible to find right now, someone out there has been buying them all up so yea im gunna hafta use some ingenuity for a roof skin, I thought about a section from a chevy suburban with the ribs already in it just to be different

Comment

heres what the eng compartment looks like, im in the process of removing EVERYTHING

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	859638

Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	859639

Comment

Dude, from here we're cheering you on to take this one to the finish line, and it will help us close the story of the purple disaster. I think 56 is in better shape than that thing was! Go Go Go !
            Livin the dream

Comment

That thing run on leaves? Some one let Al Gore know!
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Lordy - there's more metal in that fan shroud than in a new compact car!

Contour matching a roof together will take time but be way cool - do you have a countour gage? Basically a bunch of small rods held together in the middle under tension - you press it against a contour and snug up the tension - then it holds the shape. one or two of those would come in real handy for this project.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  That thing run on leaves? Some one let Al Gore know!

you should of seen it before I cleaned it

Comment

This might be worth looking into...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-53-Ford...#ht_1830wt_698

Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

here is a cl ad for a 55 f100 parts truck for $650, outside of Nashville.

Comment

Originally posted by Vol_stang View Post
                        here is a cl ad for a 55 f100 parts truck for $650, outside of Nashville.
                        http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2777160499.html
                        It's $550 now,and just as good, if not better, than the one I posted. I bet you could get that Red Balled to you no problem.
                        Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

the main focus right now is frame, suspension, drive train. When I get that somewhat together im gunna make a dolly for the cab and see EXACTLY what im dealing with. I dont want to start peeling off the fiberglass patch panels and expose any more holes

Comment

a friend of a friend hooked me up with a set of tires for the 56 for free, seems a customer got them, drove on them for a week or so and didnt like them and brought them back and I got them. Brand new firestone firehawks the fronts are 225-70-15s and the rears are 275-60-15s. So today I went and got the 225s put on the front and took some measurements, If I did my math right the truck should lay the running boards on the ground and still have 1 1/2''s of clearence between the top of the tire and the inner fender and still be able to turn

Comment

Boog, easy fix for your roof woes....

Make it a 'vert.
                              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

the thought has crossed my mind, then I thought roll cage, then autocrossing / speed challenge then I came to my sences

Comment

Working...
                                X