No announcement yet.

Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for that...I notice that used on Racing Junk they go for $150-$200. And that'll buy me a fair bit of interior.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Seriously - I think any one of us could build one for less than $50 - even for what brass ball valves cost these days, you can just T it into the oil pressure sending unit feed, couple feet of good hose, valve, nipple, chunk of larger diameter pipe, pipe caps, that's it. Paint it black and use a couple straps to hold it to the frame rail or inner fender on the driver side not too far from the oil filter - you can add a cheap pressure gauge if you like so you can always see underhood what the oil pressure is.... and see if for some reason the set up leaked down.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        Seriously - I think any one of us could build one for less than $50 - even for what brass ball valves cost these days, you can just T it into the oil pressure sending unit feed, couple feet of good hose, valve, nipple, chunk of larger diameter pipe, pipe caps, that's it. Paint it black and use a couple straps to hold it to the frame rail or inner fender on the driver side not too far from the oil filter - you can add a cheap pressure gauge if you like so you can always see underhood what the oil pressure is.... and see if for some reason the set up leaked down.
        It would work but not as well as the accusumps and equivilents which are accumulators, not just reserviours. To make one that functioned the same you'd need to put a piston and some form of spring (metal or gas) behind it so the volume would empty when you opened the valve vs. mearly equilibriate. Even a half gallon cylinder with no force other than gravity behind it isn't going to do much. Even if the cylinder was full of air (such as in a bag or something) you'd only get half of your cylinder full of oil at the 30psi of idle oil pressure I've seen listed for an FE.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

• Roof Redux

Decided I'm not happy with the roof, still some noticeable hollows and dimples around the perimeter. As I'm undecided whether to paint it or cover it with a vinyl top (as it was built) -- and want the option for either -- I'm having another go at making it straight.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mlcraven; January 26, 2013, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• I'm in the process of doing the same thing with my Cougar . Lots of fun ! .

Comment

• The irritating thing is that most of the blemishes in the roof are probably "factory original."

Comment

• Oh yes , I agree . Right above the rear window of the Cougar it looks like someone took a pick hammer and made 5 little dents in a perfect row .
                Last edited by langleylad; October 18, 2012, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• this is where patience is a virtue - and I never have enough - my hats off to you guys.
                  hammer, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand sand sand! ugh.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                    The irritating thing is that most of the blemishes in the roof are probably "factory original."

I could be wrong but I am to understand that the cars with those "factory original" jacked up roofs were the cars that became candidates for the vinyl roofs. They would notice the crappy metal then cover them....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• A layer of vinyl can hide a lot !

Comment

• Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        this is where patience is a virtue - and I never have enough - my hats off to you guys.
                        hammer, sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand sand sand! ugh.
                        You've been reading my mail, brother!!! I actually walked away from the car for a few weeks before deciding to have another go at the roof.

Comment

• Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          I could be wrong but I am to understand that the cars with those "factory original" jacked up roofs were the cars that became candidates for the vinyl roofs. They would notice the crappy metal then cover them....
                          I've been told that too, by no less an authority than some old timers who worked in the Ford plants in St Thomas and Oakville ON.

And then the rotten bastages had the nerve to market vinyl tops as a 'luxury' appearance option for more money!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                            I've been told that too, by no less an authority than some old timers who worked in the Ford plants in St Thomas and Oakville ON.

And then the rotten bastages had the nerve to market vinyl tops as a 'luxury' appearance option for more money!!!!
                            now you are reading MY mind - the roof under the Elco I had was unbelievable. I thought the same thing - this thing is so jacked, that's why they covered it up, and then charged MORE. lol.

I applaud your efforts, it will be worth it.
                            Last edited by Beagle; October 19, 2012, 02:57 AM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Back in the mid 70's I worked at a Chevy dealer. Their roof seam work was atrocious also
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Decision Made

Early Christmas present. I wanted something period correct and was pretty much decided on Torq Thrust Ds. But then saw several cars with various types of Rocket wheels at HHRR Bowling Green this summer...nice wheels and Rocket is a sponsor here. So I pulled the trigger a few weeks ago and ordered the Rocket Fuel Grays (15 x 7) with 70-series Radial TAs all around (225s front, 235s back).

Did the test fit today. I like'em. Bonus that I get to support a BS sponsor.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X