Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Tone (temporarily)

Nice still overcast dry morning. Got myself out to the garage at about 7AM, before anyone was stirring in the neighborhood, and laid the first coat of high build on everything except the front fenders. I've noticed a couple of lingering imperfections in them that will take more than primer to sort out.

Anyhow, here's what things look like at the moment. Now back to the sanding.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mlcraven; September 16, 2012, 08:24 AM.
    Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Interior Color Match

Thought I'd do something different today...nothing complicated or requiring much energy.

VIN decode indicates the car interior is "white with black accents" and "parchment" upholstery. Hard to tell after 45 years of wear and abuse, but parchment looks like nothing more than very dirty white. Ditto for the white in the "white with black accents".

The first two photos, taken a year ago, makes it look much better than it really is.

My challenge then? What white to use. I went to O'Reilly's and picked up a rattle can of DupliColor Wimbledon White. Eureka! As the photo of the freshly painted glove box door shows, it seems to be an exact match. I'm going to lightly color sand it and then hit it with a coat of gloss clear -- see if it still looks OK.
      Attached Files

Comment

• never noticed - 4 electric panel switches, cool! How many of them had electric windows? Did you mean to match the radio?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• All four with windows...although the motors running the rear windows are in rough shape and weren't working very well. Had to give each window a 'hand assist' to get it all the way up again (hmmmm...that statement didn't come out quite the way I expected).

The master plan includes having a nice music system but I haven't given it much more thought than that. First step will be to line the interior with sound deadener. I don't mind car/engine noise (all part of the experience, IMHO), but as the El Camino taught me it means I ride alone. And pretty much makes a stereo pointless.

Comment

• I meant the Sony behind it. lol. We rode for about 3 hours yesterday without the radio turned on. I mentioned it and Monica said "Actually, I was enjoying the silence" lol. Dad had been in the house all weekend, he's "Chatty".

Music is a good thing. I used to really care more than I do now, which is weird because it is so much easier to do now than it was then.

If the motor is spinning okay, the pin kits for Fords don't seem to have changed ever. The plastic pins eat themselves. Dad's 70 Colony Park had the same kind of drives my 95 truck does. You can get some delrin / acetal or in my case I cut some hardwood rods (haha, this thread and wording not quite right) that I cut to size. Seems to work fine.
            Last edited by Beagle; September 4, 2012, 03:45 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Sorry, sometimes I just take this shyte too seriously and miss the obviously humorous parts. My wife has noticed that too -- time to take her advice and lighten up

I wonder...Wimbledon White and Sony White do look just about a match, don't they?

I'm fully with you on music...used to be a huge part of my life everywhere and particularly when driving. Then at about the time downloading became a big deal I just sort of got away from it -- format fatigue perhaps. What to do with boxes of 8 tracks, cassettes, and binders filled with CDs? I'm thinking satellite radio will be the way to go with this car, plus something that will take an ipod and a CD player in the trunk just for old times sake.

Thanks for the info on the window motors. A little net checking indicates prices all over the freakin' map, from under $50/unit to over a hundred. Of course, if I can get away with pin replacement only then so much the better.
              Last edited by mlcraven; September 16, 2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• Last Coat of Hi-Build (All One Color!)

Another perfect morning for driveway painting...high light overcast, about 75 degrees, no wind, all the neighbors snug in their houses (probably having a sleep-in). After several dozen hours spent attending to minor blemishes and imperfections over the last two weeks, this is the last coat of hi-build. Hood and front fenders just sitting in place (mind the gaps!).

Going to be very busy with work from 24 Sep to the end of the year so car work is likely to go on the back burner until the New Year.

Congratulations to all the Bangshifters who finished Drag Week.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mlcraven; September 16, 2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Transmission Jewelry

This, plus a new front seal and fresh fluid, will be the extent of my C6 refresh. Figure the extra fluid can't hurt and being able to drain/replace it without dropping the entire pan is a big plus.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Header Test Fit Out of Car

The FPA headers are an exact match for the GT head exhaust ports -- thanks Stan!

Hopefully when the time comes this drops into the hole without too much difficulty.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Every thing looks great , good work !
                      Last edited by langleylad; September 16, 2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• So the Audi on the street needed a dusting of high-build primer? that is so awesome that you'd do that for that owner.... as I was mentioning to my wife today (while we were looking at Audis) that Audi drivers are the most calm, peaceable folks you ever did meet. (I almost said that with a straight face)
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Ha...it belongs to my wife (normally peaceable but never known to wash a car in her life).

It's the next door lady's brand-new cherry black Honda Pilot that I have to watch out for -- the grey high build makes a lovely contrast.

My wife LOVES her Audi.
                          Last edited by mlcraven; September 17, 2012, 04:22 AM.

Comment

• More Engine Bits

CVF pulleys arrived in the mail, they are very nicely done and competitively priced. As I bought it the car came with an Edelbrock Performer carb; understand they work well but aren't at all period correct for this generation of Ford. So I sprang for a Holley 4150 with a 1-in spacer. Fingers crossed on clearance with the Crite's hood.

Now I have a new passion: understanding Holley's -- even bought the DVD for what is supposedly the most tunable carb in existence

Its been suggested over on Jay Brown's FE forum that a 1.5 quart pressurized oil accumulator is great insurance. Sounds kind of racing-like to me.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mlcraven; December 17, 2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Transmission Pan Swap

Spent this evening replacing the stock steel pan with the massive aluminum TCI piece. Photos tell the story. Here's the orig shallow steel pan and filter, followed by filter removed, new extended filter installed, and then the TCI pan. Drain plug is magnetic and the extra quarts can't hurt. who knew, apparently have to use TCI fluid for the pan to have its greatest effect.

Scepticism setting in: now sitting with a bourbon, OJ and soda to consider the pan/fluid relationship.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by mlcraven; September 21, 2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Great looking stuff there!

I'm sure an oil accumulator can't hurt and is in fact good insurance. Keep in mind you can build one yourself with some bits from the plumbing aisle, and a piece of hydraulic hose. It doesn't have to be polished aluminum to work. It's just a sealed pressure vessel with a valve on it. Shut the valve before shutting off the engine - and you have x amount of pressurized oil, open the valve before starting to pressurized some oil back into the oiling system to get things oiled before any hard parts rotate.
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X