No announcement yet.

Back to the Blue Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything looks great. The time and efffort you are going through are going to be well worth it in the end. Everything is turning out nice and clean. Just think, no greasy hands when you go out to work on the car. You are doing the kind of stuff I can't wait to do on my Mustang project. A few questions, though:

What paint did you use on the steering parts?

Are you using a spray gun for all this?

What paint did you use for the interior floors?

Do you find the Eastwood paints to provide a tough enough finish to wipe with making light scratches to the finish?

Sorry for the barage of questions. Just trying to get my ducks in a row before even starting my car.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

• I agree with cantvalve you are doing an excellent job. What is it you don't like about the splatter paint? I did my Olds trunk in black with aqua splatter and loved the way it turned out.

Comment

• Answers to Cantvalve Questions

Originally posted by cantvalve16 View Post
        What paint did you use on the steering parts?
        What paint did you use for the interior floors?
        Do you find the Eastwood paints to provide a tough enough finish to wipe withmaking light scratches to the finish?
        Are you using a spray gun for all this?
        For the steering box and links I used a rattle can - Seymour High Temp Cast Blast Part # 16-2668. See www.seymourpaint.com for their products, which can be purchased online and shipped.

For the interior floors POR-15 Gray,stirred NOT shaken and brushed on. Purchased from the local Sherwin-Williams automotive paint jobber. I didn't apply it all in one go and the various sections were each a slightly different colour. Being an anal retentive sort, I top-coated the POR-15 with a rattle can of Rustoleum Gloss Gray (I know, why bother, no one will ever see it?). It bonded nicely to the POR-15 and is showing no sign of chipping, flaking or peeling, even with me rolling around the floor to get under the dash and using the car interior to store parts.

For the trunk floor and engine compartment I used Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black Satin Part # 11176ZP, sprayed on with a cheapo Harbor Freight gravity-feed gun. When I say "cheapo"I mean the very cheapest they sell around here: think it cost me $11. I've had mixed reports on the internet and at car shows on the durability of the Chassis Black, but it seems to be holding up well without any signs of chipping or scratching, except in one small spot where I wasn't particularly diligent with the surface prep. As for the long-term, time will tell...

You didn't ask, but the quarter panel interiors inside the trunk are treated with Eastwood Black-Gray Spatter FinishTrunk Paint Part #100009Z. Prior to application I cleaned off all the scale and sprayed some rust resolver paint on the bits with surface rust. Once the spatter paint dries it has to have a coat of Diamond Clear -- this because the spatter paint is latex-based and isn't impervious to moisture. After a couple of weeks drying in the heat, so far it seems totaly resistant to the bumps and bangs it has received from me throwing things in the trunk. My issue with the Black-Gray Spatter is that it's a lot more gray than black, hence I have a much greater contrast than I expected. At this point I'm going to live with it.

The one area I'm not happy (and as always probably my own fault) is the steering column. I sanded it down and then re-painted with Rustoleum High Performance Enamel Black -- the column was orig a bone white colour. This hasn't worked worth a sore ass, as the previous photo shows. just look at it sideways, let alone bump it against something, and the paint falls off.
        Last edited by mlcraven; June 28, 2012, 03:19 PM.
        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

• Originally posted by R442 View Post
          I agree with cantvalve you are doing an excellent job. What is it you don't like about the splatter paint? I did my Olds trunk in black with aqua splatter and loved the way it turned out.
          I hadn't expected the contrast to be so obvious, the black-gray splatter is a much lighter gray than I hoped. But I'm resolved to get used to it. Given the exterior color of your Olds, I imagine the aqua splatter does look excellent.

Comment

• Self Etch

Nice hot still evening tonight with nary a bug in sight, perfect for a little driveway spray painting. Applied the DE230 LCF etching primer (a Dimension product, sold by Sherwin-Williams) to the doors, cowl panel, front valences and any other body part that I've had sandblasted.

For no particular reason I thought the self etch was gray; turns out it's the most perfect shade of puke green.

Comment

• Puke Green...Like This

Actually, the self etch color is growing on me...prob the fact that when a panel is all one color I can:

a) better see where the remaining imperfections are that require additional work, and

b) permit myself to think that the project is really moving forward

Going to re-assemble the hinges one of these days real soon and then hang the doors (they're a PITA to store given space constraints).
              Attached Files

Comment

• FE out the door...

Trucked the short block off for a professional opinion on its suitability for rebuild...will know this Sat where things stand. It ran OK when I pulled it and, based on my amateur visual inspection, looks like it may be a good candidate.

It's an engine two-fer; my Craftsman weed wacker (also in the back of the truck) is a hurtin' unit -- suspect it will cost more to fix than to buy a new one.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Small Stuff - Pedals

Got these back in; they're solidly mounted and nice and tight (no side-to-side play). I've replaced the puny self-tapping screws that were orig used to mount the accelerator pedal bracket to the firewall with stainless nuts and bolts.

This wasn't one of those jobs that was on the 'master list', but if something's lying around and I need the space, it's just as easy to refurbish and re-install it/them on the car -- just as long as it's not going to require taking apart again at some later date.

So I don't have to keep using bricks/scraps of wood as tire chocks, I'm going to get at the e-brake assembly ASAP.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Front Fenders and Grill - Test Fit

Haha - surprised myself! I was able to put it back together (thank heavens for the digital photos taken during dissassembly and the Ford body assembly manual).

Wife's new toy in the background of the bottom pic...an Audi A4 Quattro. We've never owned German before but she fell in love and just had to have it. House savings took a hit but she was long overdue for a replacement vehicle and has been very patient while that selfish guy she married spends the car budget on old junk.

Turbocharged/fuel injected 2.0 liter 4-cylinder really hauls the mail when required. And we managed 31 mpg with it on our first road trip...a jaunt across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel up to Chincoteague. Ice cold air, comfy seats, excellent stereo -- a fellow could be corrupted.

Did I mention? Her 12-year old XTerra now becomes my tow rig/support vehicle.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by mlcraven; July 4, 2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• Everything is looking great , I look forward to your updates . I'm still cutting , welding and grinding on my Cougar . I can't wait to start spraying the bare metal . So your project keeps me motivaited .

Comment

• Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                        Everything is looking great , I look forward to your updates . I'm still cutting , welding and grinding on my Cougar . I can't wait to start spraying the bare metal . So your project keeps me motivaited .
                        Keep at it man...there are few better feelings than when you realize you're moving it forward!

Comment

• I bought a factory body assembly manual for my Impala for when I have to do bodywork.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                            I bought a factory body assembly manual for my Impala for when I have to do bodywork.
                            Almost immediately after getting the car I sprung for a shop manual and the body and interior assembly manuals. All three getting quite dog-eared now, with lots of greasy fingerprints in the first two.

Comment

• Small Jobs

Too dang hot to do anything outside today. So I stayed in the garage and kept busy re-bushing door hinges and degreasing emergency brake components.

Heat wave is supposed to be coming to an end tonight. I'm hoping next week to roll the unibody outside and put self-etch on the exterior surfaces, followed by body panel fitting.

Comment

• Originally posted by mlcraven View Post
                                Almost immediately after getting the car I sprung for a shop manual and the body and interior assembly manuals. All three getting quite dog-eared now, with lots of greasy fingerprints in the first two.
                                A buddy loaned me his three manuals for the fox body Mustangs. What a great resource to have.
                                I'm still learning

Comment

Working...
                                X