85 cultass salon ttop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 cultass salon ttop

I bought this car for $400 and was told it didnt run but had new parts. took me few weeks to find time to go get it.
    Trailered it home. Stopped on the way a put a couple gallons int the tank. Swapped the battery ends to top post and put one in. Primed the carb and it started right up. It sounds good in park but misses horribly once its going down the road. Its got new dizzy cap and wires, new carb, new mc. rotors, calipers and drums. tires are newish and all match. I found enough tools in the trunk to pay for it. The Ps pump is squealing and leaking, theres an extra in the trunk. as for the miss, imma try plugs but after that im guessing cam or valves. any input? what are 307s known for? Ill do a compression test as I change the plugs, sometime next week. I fount a nail and plugged the flat tire. It handles nice for what it is just need to get the miss out and change gears.

car has the f41 suspension package and all lights and windows work.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

check the EGR operation , will really jack up a smog car. I wonder if the 307 brackets will work on a 350 olds? It's got frame holes for everything more than likely, so you can bolt in just about any GM engine.

I'm not sure when they started putting roller cams in them, but by the end of production, they had rollers. You might pop the manifold just to see. I think my mom's 442 was 190 hp or so with the roller setup. I wanted to put a 455 in it but she sold it out from under me on a trade-in.

I think I'd got the retardedly cheap route and turbo it until it blew chunks, or do some research and see if the brackets will work with other Olds engines and go for some cubes. I have always admired the Olds 350 in pre-smog cars, they are butter smooth and seemingly bulletproof. My sister couldn't kill one and that's saying a _LOT_. Her 73 Cutlass ran like a gem... decent power, balance a coin on the intake kind of smooth but it made great torque and was decent on gas.

or go the boring way and find a donor Monte Carlo with a V8 to grab brackets and mounts from, stick a 350 or 383 Chev in it using a Chev trans, it should all bolt in. There are guys who sell double hump trans x-members, but I took a BFH to mine and made enough room for 2.25 pipes.

I wonder if a duramax would fit?

I think there was something about the 307, like it was dimensionally smaller than the rest of the Olds V8's? Anyone?

Nice score btw. I love those cars.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

says they went roller some time in '85 and tells how to find out based on which heads it's got.

for some reason, I keep thinking 350... but a 403 built for torque that stays under 5500 should be interesting too. I didn't mind the 307 that much, way way better than the 301 Pontiac or 305 Chev, but it's still not very much motor for that car's weight. It looked like the brackets and junk will interchange. I'm definitely stuck on the Olds 350 idea for a badass highway machine.
      Last edited by Beagle; May 7, 2011, 07:08 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

pulled most of the bird nest out, washed it. it was 5 quarts low on atf. the water pump and power steering pump are fine, i think anyway. the squealing is coming from the alt whenever its starts charging. let the motor warm up for the first time and it started to smooth out, then started missing again. the tank was empty and i only put 2.xxx gallons in it so it may just be getting bad gas. I bought plugs this morning so itll get them anyway.

might make a trip to pullapart for a tail light and filler panel, alt and center cap and whatever else i see while im there.

beagle, the deal is the car was a factory 260, i have yet you look for block numbers or head casting numbers. I pull its a 5a y code non roller pre 85 307. the belt is off the smog pump but the tubes and everything are still hooked up.

Comment

307 brackets are the same as 350 and 403 brackets as there all "small" block oldsmobiles

i would avoid a 403. any thing over 300hp and 5,000 RPM and the windowed block would commit suicide

if you get a 350 make sure it's before 1977 after 1977 the 350 was also a windowed main block. also the older it is the stronger the block do to the higher nickel content.

but the best block is the 1980's diesel block it has the roller lifter bores so you can use the roller lifters from a vin7 307 HO and has the main jernals for a BB so you can make a cheap stroker. the block is also twice as thick and a gas block
          Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
          Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

Im planning on keeping the 307 if nothing is wrong with it. Im looking to make it a cruiser for once. I always get carried away, but with this car being all power and ttops, i just wanna get it driving, then maybe a 350 olds and 200-4r. itll get gears before anything else

Comment

one of my favorite late model cars...get it running and cruise it...that 307 will last a long time if taken care of...My uncle has an 87 with 200k+ on it and still runs like a top
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

nothing worng with the 307. they where great engines and compared to other 5.0L GM offering was the best it actualy had tourqe and could get out of it's own way lol

from the under hood shot it no longer seems to be hampered but the feedback Q-jet. i would through a set of headers on the car and nice dual exhuast with a X pipe and that 307 will surprise you.

i realy miss my old G-body it had the 350 olds engine in it that i am rebuilding a 1968 vintage block that came from a W31 ram-rod
                Originally posted by Remy-Z;n1167534
                Congratulations, man. You've just inherited the "Patron Saint of Automotive Lost Causes" from me. No question.

75Grand AM 455:Pissed off GrandMA, 68 Volkswagen Type1 "beetle":it will run some year

Comment

my dad bought a dealer demo 80 olds 88 with the 307. by 86 when I got my license he was looking at new cars again, and I was in auto shop at HS. I rebuilt the quadrajet, re-curved the HEI, replaced a bunch of bad vacuum hoses, and that car ran better than when it was new - even Dad thought so - I think the distributor was castrated from the factory. I have no doubt that a 307 with some upgrades would be a great engine for a cruiser like this car - make sure you get the right AC plugs for the engine that's in it, maybe one heat range cooler if you plan on headers and duals. I sure hope it doesn't have any flat cam lobes. Put a vacuum gauge on the manifold and see if it's steady at idle.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                    Put a vacuum gauge on the manifold and see if it's steady at idle.
                    this tell if it has a bad cam lobe? i was planning a compression test as i changed plugs.

Comment

You stole this car for $400.00 . I used to have an 84 cutlass t tops, swapped in a 350 chevy and drove the wheels off of it. I want to build another one someday. you have an excelent starting point for a cool cruiser.
                      Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

41-630 acdelco

Comment

Whoa, can someone tell me wether its supposed to have short or long reach plugs

Comment

well, believe it or not, autozone gave me the wrong plugs. #1 plug is bad. so ill buy one tonight and get it in the morning. Check rubber handled pliers for nicks before pulling plugwires off a running car.

Comment

went ahead and got them. motor runs smooth now. Ill get gas in it and run it down the road tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X