Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gary Hart's 1951 GMC Half Ton - now with Teaser video!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Hart's 1951 GMC Half Ton - now with Teaser video!

1951 GMC Half Ton pickup, GM Turbohydramatic 400 trans, 69 Camaro rear end with 2.73:1 gears.
    Rotomaster HX35 turbo, air-to-air front mount intercooler, and a new aluminum radiator (so far).
    EFI is courtesy of 6 51 lb/hr injectors, Megasquirt-II ECU (possibly upgrading him to MS3 before First Start). Where it gets interesting is his 6 LS coilpacks for ignition, Ford EDIS trigger wheel mounted to the crank, and Ford VR pickup sensor.

Gary has been moving fast on this build. I know he plans on driving it before painting it - the exterior is in decent shape! Ultimately, this will be used to pull a boat to the various lakes near his home in Southwest Missouri.

We're aiming for some time in April to fire this beast up!! We will take video of that for sure.

Here are some preliminary build pics, current as of Feb 2011:

Last edited by dieselgeek; July 13, 2011, 07:40 PM.
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Re: Gary Hart's 1951 GMC Half Ton

neato!

The wheels/tires sure look familiar :P
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Flat ass bitchin!!!

Comment

Nothing but red Xs.

Sounds way cool.

Too bad he has the same name as that goof that ran for president several years ago.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          Nothing but red Xs.
          Your work must be blocking "1320video.com" Sucks! sorry.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Squirrel, you gotta good eye, those wheels and tires were used to go 248 MPH in my salt flat Studebaker back in 2009. The #787 Stude still holds the current record @ 240.9 MPH.

Comment

Hi Gary! good to hear from you

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hi Gary. Dan Stokes here - (from Impound). Are you going to take the truck down the salt? That would be cool for sure. No clue on the class. I'll be back in Impound this year and hopefully from now on.

Dan

Comment

This is a cool project. I am lookin forward to more updates.
                  Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Gary's rides are always cool
                    terry

Comment

Hey Gary! I'm interested in seeing more of that intake manifold setup you got there! I like the style, I'm thinking of going downwards with the exhaust and upwards with the intake on mine (and be no where near as beautiful as yours!).

Welcome to Bangshift!
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Awesome!
                        1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Wow! I love following along on project like this where there is a lot of custom made parts and just not a "catalog" build picking already match parts for a final build. One question about the EFI. How do you handle the injectors and firing them with just 3 intake ports. Are you planning to run 3 injectors doing double duty? Love the engine turned plate that the coil packs are mounted on.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                            One question about the EFI. How do you handle the injectors and firing them with just 3 intake ports. Are you planning to run 3 injectors doing double duty? Love the engine turned plate that the coil packs are mounted on.
                            great question. Shared intake ports and port EFI can be a huge pain in the butt. He's running six injectors, which will be fired in groups of three (2 banks of injectors). If distribution becomes a problem, we'll fire them sequentially (using the MS3x CPU upgrade), timing the injector opening with the corresponding intake valve opening. Upgrading from his MS2 to MS3x is a few extra bucks and hour or two of wiring. We'd need a cam speed sensor, which is easy to do inside the old distributor with a pertronix module, or even points.

For starters, we're going to see how it does on bank fire injection first. With the injectors a little bit upstream, I don't expect us to need the sequential.

Comment

On the inliners forum, a gut there with an EFI'd turbo chevy 250 ran into issues with afr's and fuel distribution with the shared ports (lump ports). He went to an individual runner head and it cleaned it up. I wonder how the sequential will work with the shared ports.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X