Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinda got stalled after the March Meet, even robbed some parts from the Twin but were getting back on track. I had to remove the small chamber heads off one of the engines for our other Digger so I drug some "461's" out from under the bench, cleaned them up and cut the guides down for Positive seals. I found I'm going to have to make an oil return line off the heads to help get the oil out of the valve covers and the positive seals will help with oil control or lack of.

With our HAMB Dragster needing it's front wheels and tires we bought a set of 17" for our Logghe Car and I put the 18" on the Twin. I think they represent the era perfectly.

With Eagle Field closing in I've had to change my goals to have the car running with the Strombergs so my first step is to finish the intakes. With the runners, mounting and logs all attached I cut out the valley cover out of 10g metal and tach'd it to the intakes while they were bolted to a mock up engine using gaskets. Next weldedthe seam to seal it up, then fabbed the distributor mounting.

Finally finished and back where they belong!
    Plans are to get it running real soon and post some YouTube videos! Rocky
    Last edited by Toymaker; April 25, 2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Great work!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Back on Track!

Well after a busy Spring season of events I'm back on track with the Twin, the Twin is on all 4's and made an appearence at the Dos Palos, CA Car show Sat. June 18. We fired it regularly and video'd Fire in the Pipes after dark. Here's some photoss and now it's time to take it apart and get it ready for our Oct 8th Eagle Field Hot Rod Gathering. More to come!
        CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCL2MWZEV4

Comment

That car is Sooooooo COOOOOOOL.

Comment

I haven't given up :D

"Hair Pins" and brackets are done and waiting for my son to weld them up, I couldn't wait and welded the Hairpins with the mig but Lee will Tig the rest.

The rear mount is a "Stub" that goes thru the upright and into the x-member.

I really happy with the look, a Radius Rod would of worked but the Hair Pins are the look it needed. Although not an issue with my as there is no front suspension, the "Torsion" arms would have to be slotted for the bolt that that holds them to the axle to eliminate binding.

Blew the rearend apart, took the measurements and ordered the axles today, Lots to Doooooo!

Comment

seeing this going together really punctuates how f*ing nutty guys were on the path to today's car safety. That's just nuts.

Balls over an explodable rear gear, sternum crushing shift-o-spear, feet over an explodable clutch/housing, face conveniently in the path of a flaming oil bath and potentially flying parts when the engines do things they have been known to do on bad days

That, my friend, is one knuckle dragging testosterone laden mofo. It scare the crap out of me just looking at it. I love it.
              Last edited by Beagle; August 24, 2011, 06:08 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

amazing craftsmanship
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                  seeing this going together really punctuates how f*ing nutty guys were on the path to today's car safety. That's just nuts.

Balls over an explodable rear gear, sternum crushing shift-o-spear, feet over an explodable clutch/housing, face conveniently in the path of a flaming oil bath and potentially flying parts when the engines do things they have been known to do on bad days

That, my friend, is one knuckle dragging testosterone laden mofo. It scare the crap out of me just looking at it. I love it.

I love your last sentence Beagle, makes it all worth it! LOL

Comment

Getting some ideas on body position

Comment

The Labor Day weekend has been great and gives me a good feeling about making a pass or 2 at the Eagle Field Hot Rod Gathering October 8th.
                      The Dual Ring Gears were a little bit of a pain but I finally got them on with the teeth aligned.............

This photo shows how wide the teeth are now..........

My son Lee Tig welded (equally spaced) the Ring Gears to the new Steel Flywheels...........

Here he is in action.........

Fitting the LH Bellhousing................

Flywheels Installed, bellhousings fitted and awaiting aome 1/4" steel Plate to fimish them..........

My 4:11 9" Drop Out a friend from Eagle Field gave me, looks good but in need of a good cleaning, new pinion Seal, and install a Mini Spool before it will be ready.............

Lee finishing all the Chassis and Front End welding, I drilled & tapped the King Pin set screw holes, greased and assembled the spindles, and just waiting for my clutch disc to be returned with the 1 1/16" hub so I can install the clutch before setting the engines back in.................

Comment

Lookin' good !!!!!!

...and good luck on making the Eagle Field deadline.

I LOVE the intakes, so cool!
                        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Thanks Mustang!
                          Man I'm getting tired of working on the bellhousings, the cutting fitting and welding seemed to not end, but I can finally say it's done! The Engine Plate is trimmed, the LH bellhousing has the 1/4" Steel Plate fitted and welded and now I just need to pick up the Clutch, TO brg and I can put it all together and set the engines back in the Chassis for the final time (HOPE) before Oct 8th. I had thought about welding the 2 Bellhousings together but the fit is real good so I leaving them seperate
                          Before welding

After Welding

I can say I figured a slick way to connect the Clutch pedal to the Fork during all of this, I'll let pictures tell the story when I tackle that:D Rocky

Comment

9-10-2011 Picked up the clutch plate and T-O Brg (Ford Trans to Chevy Bellhousing and Fork), all the bolts I thought I needed (damn if I didn't forget a few), and BOOM my axles arrived. I would of had the Bellhousings on if I hadn't of loaned my Torque wrench out and been able to find Clutch Cover bolts in this town, but tomorrow is another day and the engines should be back in place by Sunday night. I did get the "Drop Out" ready to install and played with the parts like it was Christmas:D[/SIZE]

9-11-2011The Twin has the engines back in place for the final time (I hope) before Oct 8th, it doesn't look any different but trust me it is with all the welding and bellhousings done. I need to see about a different TO bearing (longer) before the trans can go in, then a U-Joint shield and anti rotation bracket and the rear can go go in!

The project marches on! After modifying the clutch fork for what I think will be a Cable system I installed the trans, rearend, and rebuilt the brakes, All went pretty smooth except the axle taper hit the side of the carrier and had to be sanded down abit. With all that done it was time to start on the Brake & Clutch Controls, and Steering.
                            Finished Clutch Fork..........

Dug around in my junk and found a couple of pieces that not only look cool but will save me some fab time:D The brake handle was complete and I think out of my sons 48 Ford F-1 or ???? Photos were taken after the mods began.

After some mocking up I used a piece of the original brake handle linkage for a mounting tab and welded it to the Rear end housing.

Part of mocking up the handle was having it in alignment with the Master cyl.......

The pushrod will be 3/8" rd bar "Sleeved" with tubing, soon as I get the materials.
                            The Steering had me thinking for a while and I've concluded I need a Crossmember to mount my VW box to. Extending the shafts had me puzzled as I don't really like welding directly to the dox shafts. So far I'v modified the factory coupler to accept a 3/4 Tube about 1/4" before welding. I'm still working on the crossshaft attachment

Don't seem like much but now I have some ideas to follow thru with and we should be good for Oct. 8th!

Comment

9-27-2011 SLOOOOOOOW but sure:D We're getting there! Working on the Driver Controls and have the Brake Rod fabbbed and the VW Steering Box layed out, needing some gussets and the Cowl Steering Shaft support before I can check it of my list. Only have about a week to get it ready (fingers crossed) for some 300' test runs on the 8th!

Today! Man, If things go right I may drive this thing tonight:D Saturday night was good and got alot done, I started with the U-Joint Shield...........

Then moved on to hookin' up my clutch via a Cable I had made, wasn't cheap but I had to have it as time is runnig out, $110 for the cable!

With the Fork end done it was time to tackle the pedal, something I wasn't looking forward too but it went well also...............

The Drivers compartment is starting to fill up and I also have the steering all layed out and ready to finish weld after a couple mor gussets are made. Here is some randam shots of the steering.

The "Drop Arm" may be a little long but I can shorten it, as it is 10" long withe the spindle arm being 6.5" long.

Getting close to needing a new list!

Comment

Man you get a lot of stuff done... it looks like you will make it? That list is getting pretty short!
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X