Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

I understand what your saying but............IVO had his 2 450 Cubc Inch Nail Heads hooked up this way, power I'll never match. My feeling is that all the REV (or what I call a slave) engine is doing is assisting the main engine, not transfering full power to the rear end thru the main engine ring gear or ring gears as ea flywheel will have double gears installed. It's like a grammer school science project, thats my hypothesis (I think thats the word I'm looking for) and we will see. No turning back now ;D Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Toymaker
      It's like a grammer school science project, thats my hypothesis (I think thats the word I'm looking for) and we will see. No turning back now ;D Rocky
      Well said and thumbs up on your fab work. There is that extra special feeling when building something this epic with your fingers crossed at the end!
      I'm exited for you on this great project.

Comment

Great work - if every "inventor" knew what the end result would be before he started - we would be without many great inventions!

Worst case scenario if the ring gears turnout to be problematic, you could rig up something using a 4x4 transfer case chain drive or similar. What do the multi engine tractor pullers use?
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          Great work - if every "inventor" knew what the end result would be before he started - we would be without many great inventions!

Worst case scenario if the ring gears turnout to be problematic, you could rig up something using a 4x4 transfer case chain drive or similar. What do the multi engine tractor pullers use?
          I believe they use special gear boxes like Garlits tried on his "Side Winder" but I'm not sure.

Comment

Yep, it's on the ground and ready for the frt axle build but here's the way we got here from where we last left off.

Lee welded what he could after I completed the front frame bracing.

The RH rear end bracket was a little more than a 1/2 RD cut as it had to follow the contour of the center section, so I make a little "Widget" to transfer the shape to the plate. Mark your project with line to follw to keep the shape transfer correct. I've used this metHod before on wheel tub projects and works really well and I have layout dye but a good "Magic Marker" works great!

Once I was happy with the rearend alignment the rearend housing was welded to the brackets after they were bolted to the frame, I used 3/8" bolts for now but they will be increased to (4 per side) 7/16" when finished.

My alignment tool is all scrap pieces including some old pistons;)
            With this all done I cut some old axles mounted the wheels, and put her on the ground!

And this ones for you Tom:D

Comment

bad ass! really like the HD rims up front..
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Another part of the build done, I machined the frt kingpin bosses and bent the axle for the car today. I'm the luckiest guy in the world as I thought I trashed the front axle when I cut the wrong King Pin inclination But luck would have it that I was using the bottom of my 48 F1 axle as a jig so I recut the fishmouths and it fit the Top perfect, should go buy some Lotto tickets:D Original Plan........

Revised;).......

Loaded up the car after we finished the front end this week and my son took it to Fomosa today, I can't wait to get there tomorrow night!

Comment

The dragster looks really good assembled. 8)

What sort of machining did you need to do for the kingpin bosses? I get that you had to bend the tube to meet the shape of the F1 axle and fishmouth the ends, but I'm not sure what was machined. I presume you're talking about bushing installation, but I'm not sure.

Good bit of luck on being able to use the top side of the F1 axle. ;D

EDIT: I'd love to see some detail of the final front axle mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Weldangrind
                    The dragster looks really good assembled. 8)

What sort of machining did you need to do for the kingpin bosses? I get that you had to bend the tube to meet the shape of the F1 axle and fishmouth the ends, but I'm not sure what was machined. I presume you're talking about bushing installation, but I'm not sure.

Good bit of luck on being able to use the top side of the F1 axle. ;D

EDIT: I'd love to see some detail of the final front axle mount.
                    I had to machine the kingpin boss' (the part the kingpin actually goes thru) out of some round bar. I'll post a followup next week after we get done with the March Meet. I want to thank all the BangShift member support, your interesrt as well as the HAMB has helped me get this far! Rocky

Comment

Rocky, thanks for sharing this project with US!

Have fun at the MM!!!!
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

This thing is flippin sweet - I'm still amazed at the scale of projects some folks take on in their spare time! Inspirational!
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It looks just as neat in person. I look forward to seeing it running.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Great work Rocky.....and is that a second FED I see in this pic?

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Haven't got much accomplished since the MM, DANG Chad keeped me out of the shop watching the the MM Finals : but we'll get back after it soon!
                              Originally posted by mustang13
                              Great work Rocky.....and is that a second FED I see in this pic?

Yep, my wifes car, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;D The car is a late 60's Logghe car I believe and also apart right now, here's a photo of it @ Eagle field in October.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                                It looks just as neat in person. I look forward to seeing it running.
                                Great meeting ya & putting a face to your screen name and that makes 2 of us.

Comment

Working...
                                X