Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toymakers Twin Engine Dragster.......Not just to look at!

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Hey man, I'm SURE you know this already but your intake manifold is looking just like a totally vintage Crower U-Fab-It

RULES!!!!!!
    Thanks Brian, I have both the Intakes tacked together and all the carb pieces sorted out, still a long way to go but making progress.

Comment

looks so cool, this view kinda messes with the eyes.

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

nice work on the zoomies!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

How close are those spark plugs?

They look like when the wires are installed there will be interference.

And will you end up clocking the engines say 45 degrees from one another to tune the exhaust note?

Edit: This is bay far one of the coolest projects around. Since it is a bench racing dream of mine to have a twin engined car.

Comment

Originally posted by kindalas
            How close are those spark plugs?

They look like when the wires are installed there will be interference.

And will you end up clocking the engines say 45 degrees from one another to tune the exhaust note?

Edit: This is bay far one of the coolest projects around. Since it is a bench racing dream of mine to have a twin engined car.
            Due to the cylinder banks being offset there is plenty of room for the plugs.

There has been much discussion on "Clocking" the engines and I have decided to have the "main" engine (RH side which will be coupled to the rearend via a clutch) Fire first then the "slave" engine fire 10 degrees after, timing being identical, with the stagger set at the flywheels.

Comment

I was gonna post that last night but I was TOO sleepy. Good ol' cylinder offset.

Dan

Comment

Today was a full day of progress, I made a temporary sand blast cabinet to clean the outside of my carbs then changed over to Baking Soda to clean the insides...............Don't Laugh:D

I'm satisfied with the results (you can see the difference when looking at earlier pics) and proceeded to straighten the tops and check all passeges for blockage. It's time to contact Uncle Max for parts now.

While I was doing this Lee went ahead and started Tig'n the intakes together , no warpage and they still fit;)

This week I'll get the material for the lifter galley and distributor boss.

Comment

It's a creative solution. That stuff gets everywhere - defies gravity, goes up pants legs, freaking everywhere. If I had to guess, it was so you could get it up where you could see them and the fan was to keep it where you could see them? Looking good, thanks for the updates.

Are you going to put guages on them to synch them?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                    It's a creative solution. That stuff gets everywhere - defies gravity, goes up pants legs, freaking everywhere. If I had to guess, it was so you could get it up where you could see them and the fan was to keep it where you could see them? Looking good, thanks for the updates.

Are you going to put guages on them to synch them?
                    Yep Tom, plus I could reuse the sand (after running it thru a screen). I'm gonna probably use a hos to listen to the "whistle", the engines will mainly run WOT so I think I'll be alright.

Comment

It's amazing what you can do with cardboard boxes. When I was assistant scoutmaster in BS, we use to make ovens and bake cookies. IIRC, we would make a door by cutting 3 sides, line it with tinfoil, insert a grill then place it over coals. Worked very well!
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I haven't given up yet ;D I decided to use a trans after spending some money on my wifes Dragster and not having much to spend on the Twin and it came together real well. I have many Ford 3 speeds and one is a Van trans with an extremely short tailshaft so I machined the Brg Retainer down to the GM bellhousing...............

Happened to have a piece of Bronze material and made a pilot bushing that fits the larger opening of the 350 crank to have the bushing close enough for the Ford input to reach........

And "WALA" Ford 3 speed to Chevy bellhousing in an afternoon.

Now I have to find another T150 Trans top as I recently sold the last one I had, a rear yoke for the trans which I'll convert to a slip yoke and I can start the frame fab.

Comment

Cool. And you can reverse after the burnout. No, not Brian!

Dan

Comment

In case you don't know, Jeep use to use the Ford Toploader boxes as well. Jeeps also had a top mounted shifter instead of side mounted. Just find a Jeep 3 speed shifter and install in place of the Ford's sheet metal top cover. Your trans will have that "vintage" old time Ford box look to it.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I was about to post that tip! My first car ('53 Studebaker HT) came with that set up and it worked great. Not sure what years interchange but I know for sure it works - and makes for a VERY positive shift.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Guys, that's the T150 Trans Top (shown in the photo of our HAMB Dragster Cockpit) and I"m on the lookout for one ;D Recieved my Stromberg Kits and they should be coming together this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X