1967 camaro TVS2300 LS1 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 camaro TVS2300 LS1 Build Thread

Built this over the last year, longhauling it (before the blower) on powertour.
    So after having a blast on powertour with my C6 in '09 I began planning a "more appropriate" car for this year. I Have old cars, but none that would be good for a week of highway and late night sheninagans.

The 67 camaro has a fresh 327 4bbl but it has a powerglide. Looking at the net I found that 200-4R's are a pretty popular swap. But for a performance trans, crossmember and misc parts it was looking to be $2300 for the swap. I was thinking this would be the best option to gain some "smoke-em" ability and long legs for the highway. But as fate would have it I stumbled across a 50K LS1 4L60E on craigslist that I could drive before I bought. So the project has taken a twist..

327 ready to say good bye!

2000 camaro SS engine/ trans

Changing the manual steering box to a quick ratio power unit for a 91 Z28

And new power disk brakes, 4 wheel manual drum wasn't cutting it!

Street and performance modified oil pan

New oil pickup to fit the new pan

New pan and billet adapter mount plates installed

Re: 1967 camaro TVS2300 LS1 Build Thread

Last shot of the 327

exhaust was suprisingly clean..its getting new anyway..

On her way out

A mess

Stripping the engine bay

Getting the floors ready for por 15

subframe after por 15

Ready to spray the engine compartment

Cleaning the floors/chassis gave me a wonderful case of black lung, good timez

Comment

So i pulled the fuel system, mounted the regulator/filter on the rear frame rail, installed all the new stainless lines, and por'd the rest of the chassis/ inside of the trunk, did more detailing of the engine bay, and droppeing in the engine and trans today...
      looking better
      Sorry about the bad pictures..my P&S was acting flakey..

Comment

Well today got the front brakes done, and some wiring, I also hooked up the power steering return line so that was the last steering part to install

Dingy RWL

Drums Gotta go!

Not too fancy, but better than before..

Comment

the rears suspension was in sorry shape the more I dug into it...

Broken mono leaf

The passenger side was broken the same way..

New multi leaf installed

Intake fabbed up.. nuthin' fancy

PCM is out having VATS removed, and a few other things (no egr, cat protect/lightoff off, ect) Still need to install passenger side leaf, waiting on a new front mount to arrive. have the new 15x8 rallys for the rear all cleaned up, waiting on tires (255/60/15). once I get the spring mount, the suspension can go in, then the tank/ fuel lines and it should fire up.. fans/radiator should be here within a week

Comment

Got the radiator/ fans/ intake installed...upper radiator hose is for a 95 jeep with the 4 cyl...on backorder till xmas:confused2, stock f car lower hose (now replaced lower with caddilac/GMC hose refrenced in 67rsss thread)

test fit

Fans installed

Intake installed

Comment

Got the headers/collectors installed today, and re-installed the hood. Spent most of the morning replacing the front wheel speed sensors in the silverado, so ran out of time to do more.

Comment

It lives! (first start video)

Comment

Got more done today, adjusted the column linkage, added new shift indicator with proper markings. I installed the new swaybar and wired up the oil press and water temp gauges. Also installed the fuel rail covers.

old vs new..

[/

Comment

Waiting for fed-ex to drop this off..

CHEVY 10 bolt 8.5 3.73 POSI MULTI LEAF FITS 67 TO 69 CAMARO, FIREBIRD AND 68 TO 76 NOVA THIS A 8.5 NOT A WEAK 8.2

HAS ALL NEW TIMKEN BEARINGS, GM 3.73 USED R&P, REBUILT CLUTCH TYPE POSI CARRIER ,NEW AXLE BEARINGS AND SEALS AND NEW MOTIVE GEAR AXLE SHAFTS . THESE AXLES ARE MUCH STRONGER THAN THE ORIGINAL GM AXLES.

Comment

I needed to put some axle shims to adjust pinion angle to fix the drive shaft vibration. I had previously installed the axle with u bolts that came with a kit from a camaro restoration place. Backing the nuts off the u bolts the metal just smeared like they were made of wax...nice 3/8" ching chong metal..... So now I am waiting on summit to deliver some good (expensive-ish) 1/2" u bolts to put the axle all together. so much for having it all done last night. Parts should be in monday so no miles on it this weekend..

But here are some pics

new drive shaft..

Fabbed up mid-pipe (with o2 bung for tuning) :rock:

Installed

Exhaust and new rear axle

out on the town with my buddys 69

The butter u-bolt

Comment

Sooo I've got about 160 miles on it now, just checked all the exhaust bolts, and the 02 sensors fixed the rich condition and the plugs/02's fixed the mis-fire i was getting. The car runs really nice.

Comparison of old vs new u bolts...

and here you can see the new support braces (fuzzy) and the cruise module installed by the brake master cyl.

Comment

Drove the camaro to work for the first time yesterday, about 55 miles each way, 1/2 mile down the road i hit a bird and brake my original grill, new one is on its way..

where the bird broke the grill..effin robin

Cruise stalk made from 70 chevelle and 89 corvette parts

Comment

must.....fight .....urge to rip car apart the day before woodward... UPS has been getting a workout!

Comment

Global west subframe connectors

Solid body busings

new valley cover in place

Valve covers cleaned up

Walbro 255 going in..

Wrinkle black..

Coil packs before

and how it looks now... not sure if i like the red coil packs..they may go to gloss black...but right now it is what it is
                              [/

Comment

Working...
                              X